Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:07 AM   #7621
Moderator Emeritus

Fixed the 14-year-old Atima's windshield sprayer. The pump impeller was nearly impossible to turn by hand and both nozzles were plugged with dried minerals that wouldn't break up even with a sewing needle. The sludge that we flushed out of the bottom of the fluid reservoir was impressive so I guess after 14 years it gave the system a fatal dose of atherosclerosis.

I thought I'd end up at the junkyard. I was surprised to find a windshield-sprayer pump at Checker O'Reilly Auto for only $25 and a pair of new spray nozzles for $20. The generic spray nozzles work better than the factory originals and have larger orifi for reduced clogging.

So spouse has decided to keep the car for another five years, which means the cost savings of this DIY job was roughly $6500-$13,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Larry Swedroe has borrowed that title trick too. He has some of those "Only XXX You'll Ever Need" books out. Once on the Boglehead's forum I gently complained about this silly title stuff. He said that most financial author's are just happy to get a publisher and don't have control over things like the title or even the book cover design (some of these cover designs are truly terrible). So I guess we have to cut those author's a little slack.
Financial authors are lucky that every one of their book titles doesn't include the phrase "... Like Warren Buffett!!"

"The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement... Like Warren Buffett!!" Please don't tell my publisher.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #7622
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At an outdoor concert in Vegas listening to Quiet Riot and Docken. DH really wanted to go so I gave in...I'm wishing I would have declined it is Way Too Loud! And no I'm not way too old.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #7623

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
My neighbor invited us to his 50th anniversary celebration. I talked to his daughter (the organizer) and volunteered to surprise them by supplying music, so my other neighbor and her husband will be singing and playing bass, respectively, and I'll be on piano.

They are less experienced than I expected (jazz bass is different from rock and roll bass, who knew?), but they have a lot of enthusiasm and it should be a fun, no-pressure gig. Today I created some practice tracks (with and without melody) for them to work on until our next rehearsal.

This one turned out well, so I thought I'd share it here: The Nearness of You.
It sounds great. I think your neighbor will be very happy.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #7624
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
This one turned out well, so I thought I'd share it here: The Nearness of You.
Very nice indeed.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #7625
Moderator Emeritus

We rescheduled the surfing for tomorrow. Today was a quiet weekend-at-home day starting with a workout followed by running Scoobie on our kitchen/diningroom floors.

I did a lot of writing today to get the blog loaded up ahead of our Haleakala Crater hike... starting with Monday's post about hiking in Haleakala Crater.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #7626
Give me a forum ...

I went for a walk today!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM   #7627
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
http://icanhascheezburger.com/2011/0...er-a-long-day/

Can't figure out how to post picture.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #7628
Give me a forum ...

Mr B and I bought a new lawnmower. Between my bad hands (tendinitis) and his not-so-great back and recent heart problems, we decided we would get a lawnmower with features that will make both of our lives easier. I have a John Deere riding mower for the back forty, but the front lawn is kinda small and very tight in corners for the 46 inch cut rider. I also have to struggle getting the double gate of a wooden fence open to get the rider mower in the front yard. All in all a real PITA.
Mr B went shopping online and found this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/22-3N1-SP-ELEC/13348022

Our brand new "baby" has key start capability, variable speed rear self-propelled drive, auto-choke and throttle control, and nice large wheels to make those 90 degree and angled turns so much easier. It can be used as a mulcher, a side discharge, or a leaf/clipping bagger.
I cannot rake without wrecking my hands, so it will serve me very well in the fall as a lawn vacuum and leaf bagger when the oak leaves fall.
It was actual cheaper than any other similar functional models. The key start feature and convertibility between mulching/side discharge/leaf bagging sold me. It is very well made and the metal used to make the mower base is solid.
It is currently in the garage, all assembled and in the required 48 hour battery initial charging phase. I can't wait to try it out
Old 05-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #7629
Moderator Emeritus

Did the weekly Walmart grocery run, with a side trip to the nursery. Planted flowers in the rain at 43 degrees with 25 mph wind. So windy that the flower petals were blowing off as I planted them.
Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #7630
Moderator Emeritus

Gorgeous day in Waikiki. Lovely surf. Good lunch at an undiscovered place with a new friend. Sometimes you just have to pause for a minute and reflect "This is aloha, baby".

Our new rising sophomore will be home in about 20 hours...

Quote:
I went for a walk today!
That's progress!

Made any plans for your next ride?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #7631
Give me a forum ...

It will be a few weeks I think, but who knows.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #7632
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It will be a few weeks I think, but who knows.
I am VERY late to the get well party
Hope your injuries heal fast.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #7633
Full time employment: Posting here.

Helped my DW fill out her retirement papers. If all goes as planned (house up for sale in northern Virginia), she'll retire at the end of the school year and she will join me full time in WV.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:15 PM   #7634

So far today...I worked. In fact, I'm at work, at my desk right now. Drag. Think I need a (another) cup of coffee. At least the coffee's free around here...
Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #7635
Give me a forum ...

It rained all day, so I did laundry that had piled up while I was sick for the last week. I made a nice small pork roast in the crockpot and some StoveTop stuffing for dinner.
Mr B has a county Legion meeting and carpooled with the guys. Have fun
I have the house ALL to myself. I think I'll load some of my Barbra music CDs and crank it up.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #7636
Full time employment: Posting here.

I took my car in for service. The fog lights go on when I turn on the right turn signal sometimes. Then I went into the office until 1:30 and wrote some computer programs. I had an appointment in the afternoon and then back home. I still have a rental car as they never called me to tell me my car was ready.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #7637

Went for a run this morning with my new toy, a Nike+ GPS watch powered by tomtom. Worked great, seemed about as accurate as the GPS in the iPhone. Then I got to thinking....since September when I started keeping track of my miles, I've run (jogged, shuffled, plodded...whatever you want to call my slow 10:30 per mile version of running) enough miles to burn off 30 pounds. Yaaay! But wait a doggone minute...why do I still have all those pounds around my waist? I actually did lose a bit between May of last year until early Feb or so, but when the earthquake hit I started stress eating and gained it back. :-(

Anyway, I'm at work now, having lunch with DD who is interning in my company.

R
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #7638
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Went for a run this morning with my new toy, a Nike+ GPS watch powered by tomtom. Worked great, seemed about as accurate as the GPS in the iPhone. Then I got to thinking....since September when I started keeping track of my miles, I've run (jogged, shuffled, plodded...whatever you want to call my slow 10:30 per mile version of running) enough miles to burn off 30 pounds. Yaaay! But wait a doggone minute...why do I still have all those pounds around my waist? I actually did lose a bit between May of last year until early Feb or so, but when the earthquake hit I started stress eating and gained it back. :-(

Anyway, I'm at work now, having lunch with DD who is interning in my company.

R
Rambler, the same thing happened to me after Hurricane Katrina. I was completely exhausted both physically from cleaning up after the storm in the heat, and mentally from trying hard to comfort both friends and strangers in their anguish. Once they were re-opened, for weeks our stores did not have much selection, almost no produce and definitely not the low calorie food items that I was used to eating. The result was that I gained about the same amount as you did. I think it is normal to go through this after a catastrophe. The weight will come off, though, especially since you are continuing to run.

How cool that your DD is interning there with you!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:14 AM   #7639
Moderator Emeritus

Went on a shopping spree for woodworking, brewing, and fishing supplies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Went for a run this morning with my new toy, a Nike+ GPS watch powered by tomtom. Worked great, seemed about as accurate as the GPS in the iPhone. Then I got to thinking....since September when I started keeping track of my miles, I've run (jogged, shuffled, plodded...whatever you want to call my slow 10:30 per mile version of running) enough miles to burn off 30 pounds....
I need to get one of those gizmos. I started running again and need something to keep me interested. But your 10:30 pace is a sprint compared to my speed.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #7640
Recycles dryer sheets

Got all my racing stuff (suit, helmet, rib vest, etc) ready, only to get an email that our first (90 minute) enduro of the season has been postponed a couple weeks due to the bad weather. Combined kart tracks we use for the longer races require driving a short distance outside to get from one track to the other. That racing can be treacherous enough (especially for us `old' guys still doing it) withoug hitting moisture on slicks.
Closed Thread