Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #7761
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
BTW, for you folks who may not know, the proper pronunciation is best remembered as:

BURNET, DURNIT, LEARNIT

Can't tell you how many natives corrected me, even non-kin folk...I've finally learned that it is 'burnit', not 'bur net'!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #7762
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Here's hoping that it won't be as bad as it sounds!
Thanks Al... Since I've never had this type of thing done before, I'm a little nervous. However my periodontist is very skilled and I'm hoping I won't have much pain.

However....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I think Pina Colada's are on the approved list especially if made with ice cream !
...if it is painful, I have my fluffy pills and this clever prescription from my favorite nurse.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #7763
Full time employment: Posting here.

You were close. I would have started pronouncing it as Bur-nay (as in buffet, valet).
Old 06-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #7764
Give me a forum ...

It was packing day at my house. I donated all the furniture I wanted to leave behind, including my desk. I am now sitting in the only comfortable chair in a lit room. The lamps are all packed. Tonight is my last night sleeping in my house: tomorrow night my bed will be on the truck. I go to see the lawyer in the late afternoon, so I am spending tomorrow night with friends. I will hit the highway early Wednesday morning. I'm ready for adventure!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #7765
Moderator Emeritus

Lovely south shore surf... 6-8 feet on my daughter's 7'9" board. (I'm keeping it wet for her while she's at college & summer training.) It feels like riding a potato chip but it's very responsive. I'll be back on Wednesday, and depending on conditions I'll either use her board again or take it easy with my 9'0".

Finally finished updating our wills & medical directives today. (Our daughter turned 18 so we could get rid of the guardians and make her the executor.) It's taken a couple drafts with the lawyers but the signature party went quickly. This experience was pleasant enough that we won't want to repeat it for another decade or two.

Taekwondo tonight. We're finally recovered from hiking Haleakala Crater and I'm actually feeling like a martial-arts workout. But it's getting harder & harder to keep up, and black-belt malaise may be terminal.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #7766
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
It was packing day at my house. I donated all the furniture I wanted to leave behind, including my desk. I am now sitting in the only comfortable chair in a lit room. The lamps are all packed. Tonight is my last night sleeping in my house: tomorrow night my bed will be on the truck. I go to see the lawyer in the late afternoon, so I am spending tomorrow night with friends. I will hit the highway early Wednesday morning. I'm ready for adventure!
That sounds exciting. We really enjoyed that feeling when we moved to the country 12 years ago.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:33 AM   #7767
Confused about dryer sheets

Writing this post from my iPhone on a little ATV trip to California City. Drove out here with my girlfriend after we spent most of the day booking stuff for our 5 week trip to Europe. We leave in two weeks!

I read this forum for a while before I retired and one of the things I was reading about and truly concerned about was getting bored. I can happily report that I can't imagine that now. Please don't let anyone convince you that you'll get bored in early retirement!
Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 AM   #7768
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the good wishes!

Memo to movers: Never, ever pack a woman's makeup bag!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:05 PM   #7769
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here's hoping that it won't be as bad as it sounds!
I meant to elaborate and say that those things are often much less bad than expected -- I hope that's true for you. I dreaded root canal but the doc was so good that there was no pain -- that was my most pleasant dentist visit ever.

-------------------

Today I unwittingly followed a recipe for hypothermia. I warmed up for stretching on the elliptical, took off my sweats, and did the stretches with only gym shorts and socks. It was 65 degrees in the house. Then I practiced piano and talked on the phone, still just the shorts. Then I lay down on my frozen cold pack (really useful item BTW)

while posting on this forum with my iPod. Then I had a 16 oz frozen smoothie, while Internet surfing -- still no shirt.

By the time I got into the shower, I could barely control my shivering.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #7770
Give me a forum ...

Just got the results of a biopsy for possible skin cancer on Lena's nose, and it came back negative -- no skin cancer. Yay! She's already had the MOHS procedure once. Now we just have to fix up this parathyroid thing.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #7771
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got the results of a biopsy for possible skin cancer on Lena's nose, and it came back negative -- no skin cancer. Yay! She's already had the MOHS procedure once. Now we just have to fix up this parathyroid thing.
I love hearing good news!

-----------

btw, where the heck is Khan? I wonder what she's been doing the past few days?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #7772

Worked

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 06-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #7773

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Worked
Me too. Back again tonight...

DD
Old 06-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #7774
Give me a forum ...

My sympathies to both of you.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #7775
Give me a forum ...

Installed a new gas water heater today. When I installed the old one I got a sulfur smell with our well water. I cut out the anode (which fixed the smell issue) and it only lasted 22 years! So, I cut the anode out of the new one before I installed it - feeling lucky.

I bought the new water heater off Craigslist over a year ago for $125 - new but out of box. I kept thinking the old one would pop a leak, but it just kept chugging. I did install a pan under the new one with a drain to the basement sump, just as a future precaution.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #7776
Give me a forum ...

Went to my appt at the periodontist's office at 8 a.m. this morning. Everything was set up for my surgery. Then they took my bp. They took it so many times I thought my arm would fall off. The doc then told me he would not do the surgery as my bp was off the charts. He said I should go to my doc right away...or the emergency room.

My doc is not far away from his office so I went there. He saw me in about 20 minutes...my bp was a little high, but no where near what it was at the periodontist's office.

Since it was a little high, he decided to put me on an additional bp med and wants to see me next week.

With all the stuff that has been going on in my life lately...I'm just about at my wits end.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #7777
Give me a forum ...

Well, shoot! Torturus interruptus.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #7778
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
.........my bp was a little high, but no where near what it was at the periodontist's office..........
Bummer. That happened to me once. My BP is usually very low, but I was stuck waiting and waiting at a doc's office and my BP went through the roof. So, I guess anxiety and just plain ole cussedness (on my part) really can spike it.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #7779
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
With all the stuff that has been going on in my life lately...I'm just about at my wits end.
I'm not surprised. It's only natural to be anxious, both about the procedure and about DH. Maybe a few days of antianxiety meds would help too.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #7780
Give me a forum ...

Yeah...it is a bummer. I wanted to get that ordeal over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm not surprised. It's only natural to be anxious, both about the procedure and about DH. Maybe a few days of antianxiety meds would help too.
Thanks Meadbh for your thoughts.

I'm going back to my doc next Wednesday and he'll check my bp again. Maybe I should talk to him about some anti anxiety meds. Even though I'm trying to 'buck up' in my mind, seems like my body is trying to tell me something is amiss.