Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #7901
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
It 's amazing how these little creatures can wrap you around their fingers .
Isn't that the truth? I'm already so wrapped I'm being called the official spoiler.
Have a safe trip and enjoy your grandson.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #7902
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started removing the wallpaper in the bathroom before we paint it.
Not done yet - probably another 2 days. They should outlaw wallpapers and save trees.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #7903
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Started removing the wallpaper in the bathroom before we paint it.
Not done yet - probably another 2 days. They should outlaw wallpapers and save trees.
If you haven't tried a steamer, it is worth it. You can rent them cheaply at Home Depot.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #7904
Give me a forum ...

Late this afternoon, I attended the funeral of a good friend's Dad. He had heart trouble and was in the hospital trying to get a little stronger before having surgery, but didn't make it. During his ordeal, the man's wife(my friend's mom) had chest pains and had a triple bypass. She got a pass to leave the hospital to attend the funeral and looked fine there, but was obviously upset. Just got a call that as soon as they took her back to the hospital tonight, she died.

Man, I feel sorry for the family. Lose both parents within a couple of days of each other. What a day.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #7905
Moderator Emeritus

Oh Dawg. I am so very sorry. That's more than one family should ever have to bear. Your friend really needs a comforting friend like you right now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #7906
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Late this afternoon, I attended the funeral of a good friend's Dad. He had heart trouble and was in the hospital trying to get a little stronger before having surgery, but didn't make it. During his ordeal, the man's wife(my friend's mom) had chest pains and had a triple bypass. She got a pass to leave the hospital to attend the funeral and looked fine there, but was obviously upset. Just got a call that as soon as they took her back to the hospital tonight, she died.

Man, I feel sorry for the family. Lose both parents within a couple of days of each other. What a day.
What a sad day, Dawg .

I hope your own mother continues to feel better.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #7907
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Isn't that the truth? I'm already so wrapped I'm being called the official spoiler.
Have a safe trip and enjoy your grandson.
My parents used to call Mom's parents "The Spoilers" - I would eagerly run out to meet them when they drove up the driveway at 10 am on Tuesday mornings squealing, "The Spoilers are here! The Spoilers are here!" Took me years to put two and two together - I just thought that was there name! LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #7908
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from a two-day anniversary trip to Southern Oregon (Brookings). Wonderful hike yesterday -- perhaps I'll do a thread with more photos. Here's a preview:

Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #7909
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just got back from a two-day anniversary trip...
I didn't realize you and Lena were newlyweds...
Old 06-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #7910
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just got back from a two-day anniversary trip to Southern Oregon (Brookings). Wonderful hike yesterday -- perhaps I'll do a thread with more photos. Here's a preview:

Very nice.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 AM   #7911
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I didn't realize you and Lena were newlyweds...
Once, on the phone, I meant to tell my friend that Lena was three months pregnant. By mistake I said "Three minutes pregnant." He said "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."
Old 06-22-2011, 10:11 AM   #7912
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Once, on the phone, I meant to tell my friend that Lena was three months pregnant. By mistake I said "Three minutes pregnant." He said "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."
ROFL! I am laughing so hard I had to wipe the tears out of my eyes.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #7913
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why Al, you were very confident in the abilities of your sperm, weren't you?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #7914
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I bought a great used 4 drawer file cabinet on sale for $69, on sale at a furniture rental place. They even loaded it into the back of the Murano for us.
Not to make you jealous (after all, you DID get a good buy) but our town dump - oops, transfer station - has an exchange area where 2 and 4 drawer file cabinets are frequently available for the taking. I've gotten several there over the years. If you see one with a few scratches or dents that you don't like, you just wait until a better one comes along.

And, oh yeah, my wife's DD is a Murano - an 04 SE with 91K miles - that we LOVE. Hope you're having the same great experiences with your Mo that we are having with ours, W2!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #7915
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Not to make you jealous (after all, you DID get a good buy) but our town dump - oops, transfer station - has an exchange area where 2 and 4 drawer file cabinets are frequently available for the taking. I've gotten several there over the years. If you see one with a few scratches or dents that you don't like, you just wait until a better one comes along.
Ooooh, but I AM jealous! What a fantastic place to scavenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1
And, oh yeah, my wife's DD is a Murano - an 04 SE with 91K miles - that we LOVE. Hope you're having the same great experiences with your Mo that we are having with ours, W2!
The Murano is Frank's, and he loves it. It's a 2003 SL and he has put close to 200,000 miles on it. He hit a pair of deer almost head-on with it a few years ago and found out that the Murano is really solid - - didn't need as much repair as one might expect and it was still drivable until it could be repaired. I love the air conditioning in it - - it's very effective. And, I love the style of it and the luxuries. Despite being a 2003, it still seems new and pretty.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #7916
Give me a forum ...

And the Olympic gold medal for freestyle swimming goes to...

I watched it rain off and on, all day today.
I caught up on laundry folding and helped Mr B scrounge up office supplies from what was on hand in the house. Basic supplies are needed for his upcoming Boys' State assistant counselor adventure. I am already planning projects for my week to make sure I don't get bored or lonely. I have a list of indoor/outdoor things that need to be done, none of which are urgent. La de daaaaaa...FIRE life is good.
The Legion and VFW guys said to come down and hang out with them as usual. One guy even joked he was looking forward to having me all to himself, speaking loudly on purpose so Mr B could hear him.

Off we go to a fundrasier burger/hot dog cookout. Thank God for covered pavilions.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #7917
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The Murano is Frank's, and he loves it. It's a 2003 SL and he has put close to 200,000 miles on it. He hit a pair of deer almost head-on with it a few years ago and found out that the Murano is really solid - - didn't need as much repair as one might expect and it was still drivable until it could be repaired.
Wow, I'm really impressed. I'm a regular on Nissan Murano.org, and you're the first one I've heard of going 200K so far. And I have heard other stories confirming the safety of those cars. It sounds like you really take care of yours. I DO have 218K on my 95 Maxima (bought new 9/94), however.

Oh, and to not jack this thread, I clay barred our Murano today (actually, a few weeks ago)! That really helps keep any car looking new.

As for our dump, I've found some amazing things there - like 2 different sets of Boston Acoustics speakers that, after some woofer refoaming, work fantastic, and lots of sort-of high end (like Nikko and Technics) tape decks, receivers and tuners. My grandkids are still using the Razor off road bike and pocket rocket (road bike) I got at the dump. Each one worked perfectly and only needed a little cleaning to look like new.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #7918
Moderator Emeritus

Day #2 of 2 at the tenants. I went mucking in the mud with the reciprocating saw and managed to remove the last of the ixora roots without accidentally removing any sprinkler piping. Spouse even put a new coat of Extend anti-rust paint on the freshly-exposed window bars.

Now the tenant can clean out the patch of soil and replant it with hapu'u & raphis.

Google's Streetview vehicle passed in front of the place while we were working. I wonder how long it takes for them to process the imagery and get it up on the Maps website.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #7919
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
Wow, I'm really impressed. I'm a regular on Nissan Murano.org, and you're the first one I've heard of going 200K so far. And I have heard other stories confirming the safety of those cars. It sounds like you really take care of yours. I DO have 218K on my 95 Maxima (bought new 9/94), however.

Oh, and to not jack this thread, I clay barred our Murano today (actually, a few weeks ago)! That really helps keep any car looking new.

As for our dump, I've found some amazing things there - like 2 different sets of Boston Acoustics speakers that, after some woofer refoaming, work fantastic, and lots of sort-of high end (like Nikko and Technics) tape decks, receivers and tuners. My grandkids are still using the Razor off road bike and pocket rocket (road bike) I got at the dump. Each one worked perfectly and only needed a little cleaning to look like new.
He still takes it to the dealer for maintenance very conscientiously, and has them check it over now and then, but considering the mileage on it he hasn't had many other repairs. He is hoping to drive it another 50,000-100,000 miles at least. He hasn't really waxed it or done much, but the finish still looks pretty nice and we still get waves from other Murano owners.

In the unlikely event that I ever get to Duxbury, I'll consider the dump to be Tourist Attraction #1, for me.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #7920
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I picked up my new truck (2,800 miles on the odometer) from dealer service department today after having a part replaced due to a second a 'check engine' light. The first problem involved replacing the ignition interlock and this time they replaced the catalytic converter. Ten miles after leaving the service bay, the light came on again. I took it back and they cleared the code, test drove it, checked the connections on the work they'd done but couldn't reproduce the problem (temp sensor in the exhaust system). I drove it home without incident. Nothing so far that has affected how the truck runs, but the recurring trips to the dealer have become a real PITA.

I've lost count of the different cars I've owned over the years and have been fortunate to have never owned a lemon. Sure hope the law of averages hasn't finally caught up with me...