what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe time to stop watching the late night three hankie movies.

I know! That, and the Casey Anthony trial reruns, and Redeye - - even though I get engrossed in such things late at night, there is really nothing on that would make it worthwhile to give up my mornings.

Or so I keep telling myself.

That's definitely part of your problem right there. No telling how long you'll be unconscious after drinking that stuff...

:LOL: No no, the show! I think Greg Gutfeld is hilarious and he has me in stitches in the middle of the night.

I could pay extra to rent a DVR from the cable company but I didn't do that.

No no, the show! I think Greg Gutfeld is hilarious and he has me in stitches in the middle of the night.
Suggestion: spend some of that big stash of yours on a DVR and record those shows to watch at your leisure. That way you won't suffer from a bad case of late-night stitches, which we all know will keep you up until the wee hours of the morning. :)

Reactions: W2R
Awakened to the nasty sound of my alarm clock. :mad:

I thought I was done with that clock when I retired, but I am tired of sleeping past noon and missing half the day. I hope this is a good idea and that I am not completely cuckoo to be doing this. :crazy:

Try "wake to music" instead of the buzzer from h*ll. :LOL: I use a classical station, turned up just loud enough to awaken me but not so loud I jump up. It is very nice to wake up to a symphony.

Pray that the DJ is not doing a Wagner specialty morning program. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: W2R
How's that compare to the cost of butchering and the venison?

I wish i could have butchered it. I was coming home from the airport at 1 am, and I knocked it off the road into a drainage area with waist high weeds. I couldn't find it in the dark, and nobody was around to help find it, and I didn't want to call anyone, so I went home. It had to be dead - I hit it in the head /shoulders.

I went back this morning and drove along the road and still couldn't find it. I got an estimate on my truck for $890 to include very little body work and a new headlight assembly. I still have deer hair sticking out of the grill. The repair shop guy said that the sheriff's office has dropped off 5 cars in the last couple of weeks with deer damage. There has been a lot of deer - car collisions recently - I think it's due to the county not mowing the roadsides (trying to save $) With the high grass, the deer are on the pavement before you see them.

I thought I was done with that clock when I retired, but I am tired of sleeping past noon and missing half the day. I hope this is a good idea and that I am not completely cuckoo to be doing this. :crazy:

I purchased something in 2001 that I still have and use and have never regretted. It was an alarm clock made by Philips that has two key features:

1. A "weekend" thing that causes it to not wake you on Saturdays and Sundays.
  2. A "graduated alarm" that starts off softly and builds to a louder volume over time. It can be set to use the radio, or a standard buzzer, or a CD. The starting and ending volumes can be adjusted to your liking.

As a bonus, the little thing looks like an old-style (think 1950's) toaster. It's cuter than cute.

Obviously, no longer available, but it seems Amazon still has a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AJ3950-Stereo-Clock-Radio/dp/B00005AAMR

Thanks, Freebird and Steelyman.

Maybe I can find one that, instead of waking me up, will keep the rest of the world asleep until I am done sleeping too. ;)

I just returned from Jamestown , New York . I was visiting my daughter,SIL & my grandson . He is three and a half and what a character . He's into super heroes so I had to play Batman most of the trip . I also got to play with playdoh , racetracks , Lego's & Chutes & ladders . I am totally exhausted but happy to have been with him. He's a delight . Plus it is so nice to visit with my Daughter . We did see the Cars 2 movie which was great.

W2R said:

I have a serious solution for you. Set the alarm to 2:00 AM. When it goes off you must go to bed and turn out the lights.

I have an alarm that does this at 9:45 PM. It's called "Lena."

Also, you may need a TiVo.

We have been RV'in. No, I am not on the way to Anchorage. In fact, I am nowhere near it. That's still for next summer, as the missus is still fretting about the hazards of that long trip, and I need to break her in with lesser trips first.

Been inching up north to escape the heatwave in the Southwest, and we are now in a small town west of Denver. It is getting hot here too, and who knows, we may end up in Glacier NP to cool off.

Gas price has been dropping! Happy RV'in to those taking this mode of traveling!

I just returned from Jamestown , New York . I was visiting my daughter,SIL & my grandson . He is three and a half and what a character . He's into super heroes so I had to play Batman most of the trip . I also got to play with playdoh , racetracks , Lego's & Chutes & ladders . I am totally exhausted but happy to have been with him. He's a delight . Plus it is so nice to visit with my Daughter . We did see the Cars 2 movie which was great.

Sounds like a wonderful trip! I am very grateful to my friends who share time with their grandchildren with me... One little fellow has stolen my heart completely, and it is a pleasure to help out the young working parents by helping Grandma babysit a little on occasion to give them a break.

I wish i could have butchered it. I was coming home from the airport at 1 am, and I knocked it off the road into a drainage area with waist high weeds. I couldn't find it in the dark, and nobody was around to help find it, and I didn't want to call anyone, so I went home. It had to be dead - I hit it in the head /shoulders.

This really brings back memories . I hit a deer with my Carmen Khia in 1980. My daughter was hysterical that I killed Rudolph !:)

Attachments

• 6-28-2011 10;22;38 PM.JPG
    6-28-2011 10;22;38 PM.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
I am up very late tonight. Mr B is still away. :(
We finally got to talk tonight.

I am very happy to announce that he is approved for full tuition, fees, books and stipend from the VA VR&E program to go back to school for 9 courses in Accounting to upgrade his 20 year old BS Business Management (GPA 3.99) to a BS Accounting degree upon completion of the required coursew*rk. :dance:
He is going to be a very busy guy, taking 4 courses in Fall 2011 semester, followed by 5 courses in Spring 2012 semester. I am very proud that he persisted (against some serious red tape) in getting approvals from the VA and SUNY to make this happen.
It feels wonderful to be the person who told him not to give up and keep drumming away at the bureaucracies. :D

Again, read my signature. A dream is a dream is a dream...

I was in Ottawa at a business meeting. At the end of the day, we took a taxi to the airport, all heading in different directions. Just as I was boarding my plane, the sky went very dark. We taxied out and turned onto the runway. The pilot took one look at the thunder and lightning storm just hitting the other end of the runway and turned right on an exit ramp. So did all the other pilots. We were unable to return to the bridge and deplane as the lightning alert meant that all the runway handlers had to get inside ASAP. So we taxied over to a quiet piece of tarmac and waited out the storm (which was spectacular). After it passed, the wind direction suddenly changed, and we were directed to an alternate runway for takeoff. Once airborne, it was a smooth flight. I'm glad they put safety first!

This really brings back memories . I hit a deer with my Carmen Khia in 1980. My daughter was hysterical that I killed Rudolph !:)

What next? Bambi? :p

He is going to be a very busy guy, taking 4 courses in Fall 2011 semester, followed by 5 courses in Spring 2012 semester.

:eek:

A dream is a dream is a dream...
All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream...

YouTube - ‪A Dream within a Dream - Alan Parsons Project‬‏

Lena's brother sent these photos from the arctic circle:

MidnightSun.jpg ArcticCircle.jpg

I could pay extra to rent a DVR from the cable company but I didn't do that.
Craigslist. Used TiVo. Lifetime fixed-price subscription.

It's changed spouse's life here at Hale Nords, especially being able to record 24/7 and watch on her schedule. We replaced seven VHS VCRs with two TiVo tuners.

I'm watching VH1 Classic music videos from the 1980s and surfing. Some of these are pretty funny, looking at them 3 decades later. The rudimentary special effects seem quaint compared to today's CG technology. The Beastie Boys "Fight for Your Right to PARTY" is on now. I forgot they had a full blown whipped cream pie-in-the-face fight in the video. :LOL:

It's a cloudy day with rain in the forecast, so no outside yard stuff is getting done today. Reading the book on Container Gardening I downloaded to my Kindle yesterday is next on my list of ways to spend the day indoors.

Busy day yesterday.

I used a microfiche reader/copier for the first time since the 1980s. We needed the dimensional plans of our house's familyroom for the drafter to use to design the new roof. That meant on Monday I looked up our home's building permits (online). Then I called the city's Department of Planning and Permitting with the appropriate permit numbers. Tuesday morning they called back to announce that their clerk had pulled the microfiche from the archives. We drove downtown, cleared security, got lost, wandered around for a while, finally found the right office, picked up the film, and sat in front of the reader moving the film around until we could highlight & print ($5) the areas we wanted.

Then we drove home, scanned the paper, and e-mailed the PDFs to the drafter. Unfortunately he doesn't have a PayPal account so I have to snail-mail him a paper check.

I suspect that we could've accomplished the same drafting data gathering with a tape measure in less time. But now the drafter has all the right numbers for all the little boxes.

The "good" news is that when the designer's plans are entered into the new permit application, it'll be archived online instead of in a microfiche file. (Of course we're hoping that this renovation lasts for 50 years, by which time it'll probably be a totally new technology.) I'm hoping that was our last visit to DPP-- we plan to pay the contractor to let him run the permits.

There's money in this for an entrepreneur who can figure out how to move microfiche data online for homeowners to access. It might even be as simple as having homeowners verify their ID with the department to obtain a login/password. I bet it's less money than trying to keep a 1980s microfiche reader/printer running.

Our renovations will only be partially visible to one neighbor, who's fine with our plans. But now I have to parse the fine print in our homeowner's association design rules to figure out if we have to tell the HOA what we're doing. I've learned not to volunteer the opportunity for an HOA to get involved.

By the time I was done with drafters & contractors, I was more than ready for taekwondo. Our dojang sent 48 people to the Junior Olympics/Nationals in San Jose, where they've been competing since yesterday and will continue through Sunday. One of the guys I regularly work out with is leaving Thursday for his Saturday sparring, and tonight is the last of our training sessions. He's doing fine on defense and the basic attacks, but he can step up his game with combinations and more punching. I don't think he'll have any problems. He's in his 30s, 6'2" and 190#, so he'll probably win his "Ultra" age/weight category. Not too many spar competitively at that age, and very few in that size.

I think I have the sense not to pursue a national championship in my "Geezer" age category. But this week has been fun, and it's made me want to start showing up for our dojang's Friday-night sparring again...

I have a serious solution for you. Set the alarm to 2:00 AM. When it goes off you must go to bed and turn out the lights.

I have an alarm that does this at 9:45 PM. It's called "Lena."

Also, you may need a TiVo.

I decided that when a certain maudlin TV show comes on (at 1:00 AM each night), it is time for me to call it a day. Hopefully that will work. A TiVo is a great idea but too expensive, but...
Craigslist. Used TiVo. Lifetime fixed-price subscription.

It's changed spouse's life here at Hale Nords, especially being able to record 24/7 and watch on her schedule. We replaced seven VHS VCRs with two TiVo tuners.
Thanks, that's a good idea! It's a bit over my price threshold to buy one new with the lifetime subscription.

Today - - routine doctor appointment (doc says everything is super), got home to find Fedex had left my new desk and hutch in two large boxes on the doorstep. Dragged them in, unpacked, disposed of the packing materials, assembled it, dragged into home office, moved furniture to make room for it, set it up in its proper place, set up my desktop computer on/in/under the desk, and now I'm tired. But it is even nicer than I had hoped, and fits perfectly in the available space. :)

Today, I........worked. :(
My sympathies! I don't know how I ever had time to work. Retirement keeps me busy enough as it is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom