Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #8081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm so darn proud of myself I just had to post again...
The sky clouded over a bit, so I motivated myself out to the back shed and started up the lawn tractor. It has been acting funny on the last few cutting sessions, almost like the throttle control was slipping or sticking. I had checked all the carb control mechanisms for obstructions and sprayed it with WD40 the last time I ran the mower. In spite of that, it usually took me some rapid throttle control maneuvers to get it to run in high speed for cutting. Unladylike language did happen.
So I got serious today and changed out the in-line gas filter. I found some small chunks of a rubbery type black material just below the air filter, sitting in the throat of the carburetor. Odd...I haven't solved that mystery yet.
So I called Mr B to pick up a new spark plug and carburetor rebuild kit on his way home. I installed the new plug, and gave it a startup try before I started doing a full blown carb rebuild. The old plug was very black, as I expected from it running too rich while it was stuck in choke for several minutes on previous attempts.
It w*rked beautifully, i.e. the high throttle setting equalled high speed run. Thank you Sears for hiring me as a small engine mechanic during summers when I was going to college.
I may do the carb rebuild at the end of the season, just to eliminate the possibility that it needs it. I have not yet done that for this machine.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, correct?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #8082
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I'm so darn proud of myself I just had to post again...
The sky clouded over a bit, so I motivated myself out to the back shed and started up the lawn tractor. It has been acting funny on the last few cutting sessions, almost like the throttle control was slipping or sticking. I had checked all the carb control mechanisms for obstructions and sprayed it with WD40 the last time I ran the mower. In spite of that, it usually took me some rapid throttle control maneuvers to get it to run in high speed for cutting. Unladylike language did happen.
So I got serious today and changed out the in-line gas filter. I found some small chunks of a rubbery type black material just below the air filter, sitting in the throat of the carburetor. Odd...I haven't solved that mystery yet.
So I called Mr B to pick up a new spark plug and carburetor rebuild kit on his way home. I installed the new plug, and gave it a startup try before I started doing a full blown carb rebuild. The old plug was very black, as I expected from it running too rich while it was stuck in choke for several minutes on previous attempts.
It w*rked beautifully, i.e. the high throttle setting equalled high speed run. Thank you Sears for hiring me as a small engine mechanic during summers when I was going to college.
I may do the carb rebuild at the end of the season, just to eliminate the possibility that it needs it. I have not yet done that for this machine.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, correct?
I guess I need to sign DW up for some small engine classes at the local tech college, why should I have all the fun?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #8083
Give me a forum ...

I had my gum graft done this morning....the first one was scheduled for the 8th of June, but my bp was out of control. Fortunately everything checked out well this a.m. and I am past the operation hurdle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
So...I’ll have to wear a stent in my mouth for four days/24 hours a day. During these four days I can expect some bleeding and my face will be bruised and swollen. The first week I can have ice cream, smoothies, mashed potatoes and scrambled eggs. After the first week I can have normal food…however, it can not be hot, spicy, crunchy, or hard. I have other restrictions as well. The food/restrictions are to be followed for another 3 weeks.
I have very little swelling so far, no bruising and minimal pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm not surprised. It's only natural to be anxious, both about the procedure and about DH. Maybe a few days of antianxiety meds would help too.
I took an anti anxiety/sleeping pill last night and it seemed to make all the difference in the world in my anxiety level this morning. Shoot...I was almost normal....
Old 07-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #8084

Quote:
Yay! Hope you continue to do well post-op!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #8085
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Took an anti anxiety/sleeping pill last night and it seemed to make all the difference in the world in my anxiety level this morning. Shoot...I was almost normal....
Was that prescribed by Dr. J. Daniels or by Dr. J. Walker?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #8086
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Yay! Hope you continue to do well post-op!
Thank you..........Sometimes surprises can turn out to be good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Was that prescribed by Dr. J. Daniels or by Dr. J. Walker?
....well this time neither one. Actually the past few months I've rarely consumed anything alcoholic. Heh....maybe that's my problem....
Old 07-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #8087
Full time employment: Posting here.

bbbamI,

Here's wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

I love hot & spicy stuff, so I can certainly empathize with the inability to imbibe those foods.

Coolius
Old 07-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #8088

Went to the Rihanna concert last night...enjoyed myself thoroughly and drank a bit too much! Up early with a hangover...oh, but it was so worth it, LOL. I see a nap in my future!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #8089
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had my gum graft done this morning....the first one was scheduled for the 8th of June, but my bp was out of control. Fortunately everything checked out well this a.m. and I am past the operation hurdle.

I took an anti anxiety/sleeping pill last night and it seemed to make all the difference in the world in my anxiety level this morning. Shoot...I was almost normal....
Hope your recovery goes easily and very quickly.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #8090
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....well this time neither one. Actually the past few months I've rarely consumed anything alcoholic. Heh....maybe that's my problem....
You've had a lot going on, seems like things are settling down, maybe time to sit down and read a good book (drink a little Jack).........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #8091
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
bbbamI,

Here's wishing you a speedy and complete recovery.

I love hot & spicy stuff, so I can certainly empathize with the inability to imbibe those foods.

Coolius
Hey...I hope you're feeling better too. I sure could use a few beers and donuts right about now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hope your recovery goes easily and very quickly.
Thank you... I've been sleepin' a lot which is good for me I guess. I do have a bit more swelling today, but very little pain. Heh...I figger swellin' ain't too bad as it erases the wrinkles laugh lines...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You've had a lot going on, seems like things are settling down, maybe time to sit down and read a good book (drink a little Jack).........
Maybe I'll read about Jack....should be able to partake in liquid form in a couple of weeks.....
Old 07-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #8092
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Went to the Rihanna concert last night...enjoyed myself thoroughly and drank a bit too much! Up early with a hangover...oh, but it was so worth it, LOL. I see a nap in my future!
Hey...behave yersef!

Who am I kidding? It sounds like you had a ball! Party while you can!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:38 PM   #8093

Met with other FIREd friends to spend the day on the lake / boating.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #8094
Moderator Emeritus

I am planning to install sliding shelf/organizers in my lower kitchen cabinets. After all, since we are planning to stay here for a while, I might as well settle in. As I grow older, it will be nice to have them.

Anyway, after lunch we went to Lowe's to look at them. I know exactly what I want, so all I have to do now is measure and order.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-12-2011, 05:48 PM   #8095

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Those fawns look very tender. JK.
I was getting ready to post that the two baby deer we keep seeing were gone but this morning, saw them again. They were laying in the high grass near a path we recently mowed. They have been here about two weeks now.

TromboneAl, guess they would be at the veal stage?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #8096

Started a new language class (French) yesterday. It will last for 3 months - twice per week. The class was interesting and the teacher is good and kept the class interactive. There were 15 in the class though I expect some to disappear by the time we reach half of the classes. It was a good mixture of young and middle aged folk. In respect of age, I think I may fall in the top end of it. I find the language a bit difficult as I have nil knowledge of it and also realised that some in the class have previously taken some lessons. For the first class, we just learnt how to introduce our names and spell them in French. Also, learned a few new words which I usually see as brand names - that part is very helpful as now I know how to pronounce them and what they mean.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #8097
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moscyn View Post
Started a new language class (French) yesterday. It will last for 3 months - twice per week. The class was interesting and the teacher is good and kept the class interactive. There were 15 in the class though I expect some to disappear by the time we reach half of the classes. It was a good mixture of young and middle aged folk. In respect of age, I think I may fall in the top end of it. I find the language a bit difficult as I have nil knowledge of it and also realised that some in the class have previously taken some lessons. For the first class, we just learnt how to introduce our names and spell them in French. Also, learned a few new words which I usually see as brand names - that part is very helpful as now I know how to pronounce them and what they mean.
I took 3 years of French in HS many years ago (graduated in 71). I definitely do not remember any of it. I should try a class again someday.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:14 PM   #8098
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am planning to install sliding shelf/organizers in my lower kitchen cabinets.
This kind of thing?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #8099
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This kind of thing?
Yes, that kind of thing, with each shelf sliding out independently. They attach on the sides too, and extend way into the lower cabinets (perfect, since mine are 22" deep). See photo below for the one I had in mind. The "Rev-A-Shelf" ones are supposed to be really great, and I saw them at Lowe's. They seem very sturdy and slide sooooo smoothly. However this morning I measured my cabinets and I am not sure I can get that brand in a width that will fit my (apparently non-standard) cabinets. Oh well.

Then, after discovering the sliding cabinet organizer quandary, another arose. The keyboard on my laptop decided to crater (which is why I took so long to see this post). I determined that it is a hardware problem. I could use an external USB keyboard with my laptop, or buy a cheaper laptop, or buy a more expensive laptop (drool!), buy an iPad2, or whatever but I don't know yet what I'll do.

I'm still in the "YEEP!!" phase of this. What to do, what to do? I'm sure I'll settle on one solution or the other. The more expensive laptop is beckoning. (Edited to add: I folded and ordered it. It's "just money", right? Yes it hurt to let loose of it.)

Then we went to lunch in the pouring rain, which makes the temperatures cooler but this time I got wet and was tippy-toeing through 4" of water in my running shoes (hint: that doesn't work well).

This has not been the most constructive of days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg revashelf.jpg (30.7 KB, 142 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #8100

Went to the local park, camera in hand, with the sole objective of capturing the flow of water in a creek with a sufficiently long exposure (which turns out to be 5 seconds) to get that "silky" appearance to it.

Complicating things was the wide variation in lighting in the scene, far exceeding the exposure range of a digital camera. The solution to that was bracket exposures then combine the properly exposed dark parts with the properly exposed bright parts.

Okay, it's not exactly a work of art but I'm still on the upward side of the learning curve.

DW went with me and was appropriately bored silly while I fiddled with camera settings. The kids on the swings were more interesting to her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Park-photomerge1.jpg (66.7 KB, 23 views)