Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #8301
Moderator Emeritus

Swam, biked, and ran a sprint triathlon. My first one. I was in a hurry - finiished 7th out of 34 in my age group. I don't think I've ever had that much fun while getting a great workout.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #8302
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Swam, biked, and ran a sprint triathlon. My first one. I was in a hurry - finiished 7th out of 34 in my age group. I don't think I've ever had that much fun while getting a great workout.
Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment.

As for me, either I came down with the stomach flu, or else it was that dubious milk that I put on my oatmeal this morning.... but instead of spending another idyllic afternoon with my honey, I am home, sticking close to the bathroom.

At least retirement meant that I didn't have to explain my urgent need to go home to my supervisor.... Although since it is a Sunday, I wouldn't have been at work unless I was traveling. There's a good one. Explain to management why they spent thousands to send me across country, and then I didn't show up for the meeting, or why I missed my flight. Luckily, I never had this happen while traveling for work.

I guess taking chances with "iffy" milk is one of those overly LBYM habits that I need to change.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #8303
Dryer sheet aficionado

DW and I went to a wine tasting down in Carmel. After hobbling around sampling Syrah, pounding Pinots, chugging Cabs and sipping Sauv Blancs, have to put the broken ankle up and rest up for the next adventure.

Cheer and Salud!

Nook
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #8304
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today I went out in the garage and changed the oil on my Camry. At 62 it's getting harder and harder to do this task. Used to be a piece of cake but today I'm a hurtin cowboy. Took 2 Aleve's and went and sat in my chair.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #8305
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Today I went out in the garage and changed the oil on my Camry. At 62 it's getting harder and harder to do this task. Used to be a piece of cake but today I'm a hurtin cowboy. Took 2 Aleve's and went and sat in my chair.
They got people called lube techs that can do that..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 08-14-2011, 07:18 PM   #8306
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Swam, biked, and ran a sprint triathlon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NookWine-n-Tinker View Post
DW and I went to a wine tasting down in Carmel. After hobbling around sampling Syrah, pounding Pinots, chugging Cabs and sipping Sauv Blancs,...

Cheer and Salud!
To each their own, but sampling fine wines sure sounds preferable to me & DW .

We had Rib Eyes on the grill, some GREAT fresh sweet corn & salad a grilled veggies, she had a nice Cab, I had a hoppy home brew to stand up to that steak. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good.

Cheer and Salud! back at 'ya! - ERD50
Old 08-15-2011, 04:41 AM   #8307
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Congratulations! That's quite an accomplishment.

As for me, either I came down with the stomach flu, or else it was that dubious milk that I put on my oatmeal this morning....
Thanks - take care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
To each their own, but sampling fine wines sure sounds preferable to me & DW .
ERD50
The fine wine sampling sounds preferable to me as well. Or the beer festival with 150 brewers we're attending in 2 weeks.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #8308

Weekend was busy! Architect came over Friday pm to get going on the home overhaul projects. Up early Sat. am, breakfast at diner, hustled to prep crock pot beans for potluck at XO's house for CO's farewell party - 2+ hrs away on Long Island...(mandatory fun for those who understand, but nice party nonetheless!)...laundry, clean fridge, drive out to LI, hustle back for kickoff for NY Giants game. Fell asleep watching game. Up early again on Sunday - another diner breakfast (our dining out splurges we budget for) - raining cats & dogs, so no renting the log splitter. We got our first batch of homemade beer (Irish Stout) into the kegerator (yum!) - and went to watch the new Planet of the Apes flick - decent movie. Back to the house, polished pool table, putzed around in the basement...modified leftovers for dinner...it really seemed like a better weekend than it sounds!
Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 PM   #8309
Dryer sheet aficionado

Up early today but lazed around as I cant get a good nights sleep with this damn cast. Tackled a pile of paperwork in the office room and made a nice dent. Last night had a nice piece of salmon and a delightful Testarossa Chardonnay. Tonight it's off to the Row to celebrate DD and my Bdays. Restaurant is known to have like a hundred beers on tap so will have to sample one or two.

I'll take the vino over all that exercise any day!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 PM   #8310
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Received my "Welcome to Medicare" packet and ID card in the mail...
Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #8311
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How creepy nice that must seem to you. Does it seem clear what you are to do now that you are now under Medicare?

I am dreading that day because who knows if my doctor will even take it, or how Medicare will interact with my federal BCBS, or what awful surprises might be in store. (shudder)

Probably I have been reading too many negative articles about Medicare. I hope.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #8312

Quote:
WHAT! must be a mistake.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #8313

Today I went to the Dr. for the 2nd of 3 Synvisk injections in my right knee. Ouch!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #8314
Give me a forum ...

Feeling SO much better today. Must have been the bad milk yesterday.

Today we went to the gym, and I achieved a personal goal there - - lifted 16 tons for the very first time in my life (weight times reps times sets, added up for 19 machines). Just like the song by Tennessee Ernie Ford, back in the day.

So, I am feeling great, especially since yesterday I felt so sick. Feeling great is preferable IMO.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #8315
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How creepy nice old that must seem to you.
FIFY...

Quote:
Does it seem clear what you are to do now that you are now under Medicare?
Yes. I'm still 3+ months away from my go live date, but the enclosed information is pretty good. It includes a checklist of what you need to do as well as providing a pretty good outline of the program and a promise of more detailed info to follow. No surprises as I've been doing some research in advance of becoming an official geezer.

Looks like the combined cost of Medicare and a supplemental policy may cut my annual premium (individual BC/BS high deductible policy) cost about 50% while providing improved coverage and lower deductibles - at least initially. I'm sure costs will continue climbing and coverage will be pared back in the future.

My primary physician does take Medicare, so I'm OK there. Unfortunately he's one of those oddball Docs who wants to retire early and has already cut back to half days even though he's 5 years younger than I am. Whatever happened to the work ethic in this country...
Old 08-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #8316
Give me a forum ...

Went to the county fair after the ultrasound.

I don't know how this guy can deal with liability. He also rode holding two small kids.

What a life this guy must lead. I'm sure that a normal person wouldn't put on this kind of show:

Old 08-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #8317
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes. I'm still 3+ months away from my go live date, but the enclosed information is pretty good. It includes a checklist of what you need to do as well as providing a pretty good outline of the program and a promise of more detailed info to follow. No surprises as I've been doing some research in advance of becoming an official geezer.

Looks like the combined cost of Medicare and a supplemental policy may cut my annual premium (individual BC/BS high deductible policy) cost about 50% while providing improved coverage and lower deductibles - at least initially. I'm sure costs will continue climbing and coverage will be pared back in the future.

My primary physician does take Medicare, so I'm OK there. Unfortunately he's one of those oddball Docs who wants to retire early and has already cut back to half days even though he's 5 years younger than I am. Whatever happened to the work ethic in this country...
Thanks. It's reassuring to hear that the information is clear. That's great that your BCBS policy will become cheaper! My BCBS will remain the same, since it's federal, but I pay less than $200/month anyway (this year) so I'm not complaining yet. Medicare becomes primary when I get it, so I would imagine there will be lots of wrangling about who pays what.

My primary physician is not great but he takes Medicare. Unfortunately, he too is only about 5 years younger than I am. However, his waiting room still seems like a border clinic, with patients piled up like cordwoood waiting to see him for hours. Well, maybe that is slightly exaggerated, but he is far from cutting back, thank goodness.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #8318
Dryer sheet aficionado

W2R,
Ya know you lift 16 tons, whaddaya get? Another day older and deeper in debt!

Wish I could go to the gym, but will have to settle for leg lifts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 026.jpg (325.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #8319
Give me a forum ...

Ouch! Better just sit and let that heal.

That's so true about the words to that song! It doesn't really fit my situation at all, not owing my soul to the company store, or even being a man, or a coal mine worker, but somehow there will always be something magical about 16 tons. It just always sounded like a lot in that song.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #8320
Recycles dryer sheets

I placed an order and bought my very first ever stocks today! The stocks went up a bit by today's closing, so I think I did good. I like the feeling of accomplishment.

Quite proud of myself and just had to tell someone!

Queenie
Closed Thread