Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #8461
Moderator Emeritus

Cleaned both my desks, backed up the computer files, made copious printouts of Google Maps directions criss-crossing San Antonio, printed up a stack of business cards, washed several aloha shirts, finally found a second pair of dress socks.

Packed a suitcase.

Heading to the airport in an hour.

See y'all later.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #8462
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful day with nice temps. 50's this morning with high around 75. Great for this time of year. Played golf and later took my dog to the local state park. On one of the trails we ran across a doe. She was no more than 30 feet from us, just standing there looking at us. We headed on down the trail and she followed us. When we stopped, she stopped. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #8463
Give me a forum ...

A huge hawk flew into our closed sliding glass door. He was OK and flew away. It was fun because I saw the whole thing, he flew straight at me, and just got bigger and bigger, as in a cartoon, and then bam. I don't know what he was thinking.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #8464
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did a bunch of repair stuff yesterday then just before dark took my cousins daughter for her first driving lesson in my explorer. She is going to write her first level exam soon. I drove to a recently combined open field at the back of the farm and let her take it from there. She went from asking if the big pedal was the brake and screaming as she hit the gas to reversing all the way around the field near the fence row and doing a three point turn in a reasonably confined area in an hour and a half. She could also start uphill on wet grass without the auto 4WD kicking in. I was way proud of her and she listened to everything I said. She is going to know how to drive not just how to pass a driver test. We will send her to skid school as soon as she qualifies. I had a riot.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #8465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.
That's why I've started carrying at least a point 'n shoot camera with me all the time.

DW asked yesterday why I put the camera bag into the truck when we were just going to her father's to take out the old dead TV and hook up the new one. Today we'll stop by the recycling place and drop the dead one off.

A famous news photographer (Weegee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) was asked the secret to his success and his response was "f/8 and be there". The f/8 was for depth of field and you have to be there with a camera in hand.

Too many photo ops have gone unrecorded simply because I didn't have a camera with me.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #8466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Too many photo ops have gone unrecorded simply because I didn't have a camera with me.
+1
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #8467
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
That's why I've started carrying at least a point 'n shoot camera with me all the time.
This is a good reason to get a really small camera. I now carry my Nikon Coolpix S630 with me almost all the time (the one I found on the freeway). I also have a camera in the car at all times (the one I got for $1 at a garage sale).
Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #8468
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is a good reason to get a really small camera. I now carry my Nikon Coolpix S630 with me almost all the time (the one I found on the freeway). I also have a camera in the car at all times (the one I got for $1 at a garage sale).
I agree, especially if they have no cost. However, those with arthritis or the less dexterous find the size too challenging.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #8469
Give me a forum ...

I decided to rotate the tires myself. It took exactly 45 minutes, and I discovered that the toy spare time was low on air (better now than on the highway in Nevada).
Old 09-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #8470
Moderator Emeritus

This afternoon we went to explore our public library. We were pleasantly surprised, and got new library cards. I read the latest Economist and browsed through a few interesting hobby books. The public library will be much more convenient than the university library that we had been using.

Then one of those major grocery shopping expeditions that seem to come up now and then.

Tomorrow I plan to arrange for a small electrical upgrade to my house, two more wall outlets that will be so convenient.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:03 PM   #8471

Listening to Vanilla Fudge. Had a bit of an easy day. Took my cousins daughter to school at 6:45. Went for haircut at 7. Barber on Holiday. He is 70 and keeps irregular hours but is usually there at 7 AM. Stopped at friends for coffee at 7:30. Cleaned in the laundry room and did a few maintenance items. Played with my TV antennas for a bit. Made an excellent meatloaf with corn on the cob. Shared same and conversed for a while. Now on the computer Vanilla fudge has morphed into Steppinwolf into John Lee Hooker into George Thorogood. Good times!
Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #8472
Give me a forum ...

Got up around 9:30, moseyed around the house and later had a bite to eat. Took a nap and slept for an hour and a half. Pulled myself together long enough to surf the net, then made some homemade banana pudding.

Later made eggs benedict and hash browns for supper.

I'm gonna have to keep my finger out of that puddin'...if I don't I'm gonna turn into a weeble.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #8473
Give me a forum ...

Applied for social security to start at age 62. Haven't had a job that me to pay into social security since 1991. Will almost be embarrassed to accept the monthly payment the government will send, but will force myself. Canceled a Penfed Amex card after sucking up the freebies. Took cat to the vet to see how her tooth removal is healing. She hates me. Managed to hook up an old floppy drive and adjust the setup (bios?) to allow it to be used - the gal is going through the old floppies looking for pother good stuff before we toss the floppies.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #8474
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

DW asked yesterday why I put the camera bag into the truck when we were just going to her father's to take out the old dead TV and hook up the new one. Today we'll stop by the recycling place and drop the dead one off.

A famous news photographer (Weegee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) was asked the secret to his success and his response was "f/8 and be there". The f/8 was for depth of field and you have to be there with a camera in hand.

That's what my Blackberry is for. I'm not such a good photographer that I need f/8 stops.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #8475
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
Today is my big 5-0. I'm five years and one day away from the planned retirement day (not that I'm counting or anything)
Wow, that's exciting! I turn 50 in November....but can't quite FIRE yet. I'll be behind you about a year or two.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #8476

Last night I saw Elton John in concert. It was at the same outdoor concert venue where I work as an usher. I wasn't scheduled to work and management offered 2 free lawn tickets if you weren't working the show. DH wasn't all that interested in going but our son (27) was very interested so he and I went together. It's been raining here all week but it stopped by showtime and stayed clear for the whole concert.

We parked for free in the employee lot (instead of $20 for paved parking) and we rented low lawn chairs for $5 each. Pavilion seats for this event were $207 (OMG, who pays that much!!) and lawn tickets were about $45. Beer, food and soft drinks are very expensive at these things but we didn't buy anything so it was a nice evening for the price of the chair rentals.

Sir Elton John is 64 and he played for 2 1/2 hours straight. Many performers will take a break mid show while their band plays a few songs but he never left the stage. It's hard to engage an audience when you are sitting at a piano that long but he walked across the stage a few times and signed things and acknowledged the crowd. There were a couple of big screens for us folks out on the lawn and my favorite view was from the camera on his piano keyboard, just showing his hands on the keys.

Nice night out with my kid.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #8477
Give me a forum ...

I put together the charging station for our upcoming trip (it goes under the front passenger seat). Every trip has a few new devices that need to be charged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ChargingCenter.jpg (125.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 PM   #8478

Scheduled my move to another town. Haven't sold my house yet but I'm not going to spend another winter here. the house will have to sit empty until it sells. Have some friends that will keep an eye on things and i will set up a monitor to alarm if the temperature falls below a certain level.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #8479
Give me a forum ...

Cool....it sounds like a great night Sue.

-------------------------------

DH took a nice long cruise this morning on the bike. While he was out, he bought two bottles of Texas Sherry. It's a bit sweet with a taste of pecans and a hint of vintage whiskey. Mmmmm, mmmmm...so good.

He also bought a bottle of Gentleman Jack, my all time fave. Oh yeah, let the good times roll.

Here's a pic of the bottle of sherry on my table....one darn good thing about TX.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02577.jpg (489.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #8480

Bruce---Vanilla Fudge---now that's a blast from the past!
Sue---it must have been wonderful seeing Elton John live. Last week I went to an Elton John tribute band concert. The price was right (free) but the lead singer wasn't even close to the magic of EJ.

Today was water aerobics at the gym, followed by lunch (Japanese) and coffee with a friend who took a day off today.
Tonight is an outdoor movie---The Wedding Singer. Not my usual type of movie (saw it years ago anyway), but never saw an outdoor movie, so in an attempt to be open to new experiences, I am giving it a try. If nothing else, it will be nice to be outdoors now that we in Atlanta are getting some relief from the heat.