Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #8821
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Dream? Sure. I dream all the time - like the one where I'm going to understand DW some day. About the same odds that the hubby turns to his DW and says -" yeah honeybuns, you were right after all and from now on I'm going to the doctor at the first sign that something is wrong. And thanks so much for reminding me". Right.
Ya gotta BELIEVE!!!!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #8822
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is something wrong with the software running this board. It scrambled part of this thread into gibberish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
When I was younger, I sometimes had an asthmatic component to bad respiratory infections (that went away when the infections were gone, so I wasn't really an asthmatic I guess). It almost sounds like he might have had something similar.

Act yos, who skeurd whaxavo keno te zo pendel seenol. Hon ug axalo feth boorick fottol, vaxayfo who wirr soo zaxat ug wolo lidd axafuk zaxat pi zaxat who ceurd whaxavo saxavow semo venoupp fupp quich sooick pit pendel fobelo zicks ket se ulgonk
I hope you guys can get that fixed, we might miss something important!

Wishing Mr. B. a speedy recovery.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #8823
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Act yos, who skeurd whaxavo keno te zo pendel seenol. Hon ug axalo feth boorick fottol, vaxayfo who wirr soo zaxat ug wolo lidd axafuk zaxat pi zaxat who ceurd whaxavo saxavow semo venoupp fupp quich sooick pit pendel fobelo zicks ket se ulgonk
Perhaps this is related to the new forum manager:

Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #8824
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Dream? Sure. I dream all the time - like the one where I'm going to understand DW some day. About the same odds that the hubby turns to his DW and says -" yeah honeybuns, you were right after all and from now on I'm going to the doctor at the first sign that something is wrong. And thanks so much for reminding me". Right.
Seems only logical to me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM   #8825
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
He has been coughing all week and felt very tired. I had been bugging him to go to the doctor, but in standard Martian (Men are from Mars...) style, he declined until it got so bad it affected his breathing when walking across campus and up 2 flights of stairs to the classroom.

We were worried about pneumonia, but thankfully the chest Xray was clear.

I had a good nights' sleep and so did Mr B. He is so much better today. The bronchial dilator treatment and the steroid shot they gave him did wonders.
Glad he is well on the mend. Tell him next time, if he doesn't skedaddle to the Doc pronto will you will kick his axx.

Ha
Old 10-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #8826
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Glad he is well on the mend. Tell him next time, if he doesn't skedaddle to the Doc pronto will you will kick his axx.

Ha
My "nag quota" has already been exceeded, and then some.

He learned a good lesson here. Tough guy Martians are not bulletproof.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #8827
Give me a forum ...

I'll "see" your Worf and Data and raise you a Mr Spock <snicker>

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Perhaps this is related to the new forum manager:

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Seems only logical to me.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #8828
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday was a beautiful Indian Summer Day (? First Americans Summer?) and I met one of my daughters-in-law for sashimi downtown. Really fun, I like her very much and she is more talkative about their lives than my son who is her husband. Also, the sashimi is excellent, and since the place does a huge business it is very fresh. Then I walked home, enjoying the sunshine and my random encounters with people while she scurried back to work.

Ha
Old 10-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #8829
Give me a forum ...

We have been having great fall weather. But, all good things must come to an end. Rain moved in this morning along with some cool weather. Not complaining, but no golf today. Ran a few errands and plan to take a nap shortly. Dinner with friends tonight.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #8830
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday mounted my new-to me freestyle skate blades. Today on ice tested and tweaked their position. Will finish securing them later today.

Lookout on the ice, geezer at speed.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #8831
Moderator Emeritus

A bad day - took the boat out of the lake.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #8832
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The right rear wheel parted company with my new (9,000 miles) diesel truck today. This occurred while pulling our RV at 60 mph. Fortunately I had no problems controlling the sudden conversion from 4WD to 3WD, no one was injured and the tow trucks showed up in under an hour.

The wheel went down a steep embankment into a deep, thick, swampy ravine. Three nice guys stopped to help me look for it, but the backwoods of Arkansas apparently swallowed it up for good.

If I was still working and on vacation, this would be a major disaster. Being retired, it's nothing more than an inconvenience that we're treating as an adventure. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into more of an adventure than I anticipate should GM try to weasel out on covering this under warranty. (Note the rust on the ends of two of the sheared-off wheel bolts in the photo, indicating they have been cracked for some time...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0107.jpg (557.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0117.jpg (554.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #8833
Administrator

Wow! Bummer. I'm glad you're okay.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #8834
Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that's scary. Glad you could control the 3WD vehicle so well.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #8835
Recycles dryer sheets

This afternoon, I installed my new Rock Guard, from OODM... I watched two of these "How to" video's before starting, one from Out Of Doors Mart web site, and the other from youtube, produced for the "1970 Airstream DIY series"...

Watch and use the OODM video, and not the DIY, if you're planning to install your own Rock Guard. The DIY video tells you to use silicone to seal your mounting braket and screws. Also, they use more rivets, and less stainless steel screws to mount the Rock Guard.

Anyway, the task was pretty straight forward. The only problem I had was, one of the hinges was mounted on the wrong side of the Rock Guard brace. So, I had to drill out the rivet and drill another hole on the other side of the brace. And than reriveted the hing back onto the brace.

I also, glued the "M" back in place, which was hanging by one... rivet or screw? Would need to remove inside skin to see which one it is.....

Trex
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 PM   #8836
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The right rear wheel parted company with my new (9,000 miles) diesel truck today. This occurred while pulling our RV at 60 mph. Fortunately I had no problems controlling the sudden conversion from 4WD to 3WD, no one was injured and the tow trucks showed up in under an hour.

The wheel went down a steep embankment into a deep, thick, swampy ravine. Three nice guys stopped to help me look for it, but the backwoods of Arkansas apparently swallowed it up for good.

If I was still working and on vacation, this would be a major disaster. Being retired, it's nothing more than an inconvenience that we're treating as an adventure. I'm hoping it doesn't turn into more of an adventure than I anticipate should GM try to weasel out on covering this under warranty. (Note the rust on the ends of two of the sheared-off wheel bolts in the photo, indicating they have been cracked for some time...)
Glad you nobody was injured! Scary, scary, scary (would be were it me, at least). I suspect you did a champion job of driving, just to get the truck and RV to a halt with no wheel and without turning over or something. Your piloting experience and reflexes probably helped. Hope your truck is still under warranty.

Most of Arkansas is pretty nice, though. Hope you have fun while you wait.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-29-2011, 05:32 AM   #8837
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Pretty amazing event at just 9k miles. Pretty lucky to escape unscathed. Watch out for those pesky razorbacks while in AR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ark.jpg (92.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-29-2011, 08:41 AM   #8838
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The right rear wheel parted company with my new (9,000 miles) diesel truck today.
Looks suspiciously like two studs on bottom and one at 1 o'clock had no nuts installed. Maybe just the picture. In addition to the pre broken rusty studs.

Good luck. Hope the warranty process will work.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 PM   #8839
Give me a forum ...

I am feeling the flu bug hitting me very hard today...so I ate some leftover chicken and rice soup and drank hot herbal tea all day. My best option is to rest and keep the fluids going and not go out into the damp cold night.
I wanted to go out for Halloween, but having this bug cancelled it for me.

I look forward to feeling better in a few days.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #8840
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am feeling the flu bug hitting me very hard today...so I ate some leftover chicken and rice soup and drank hot herbal tea all day. My best option is to rest and keep the fluids going and not go out into the damp cold night.
I wanted to go out for Halloween, but having this bug cancelled it for me.

I look forward to feeling better in a few days.
Ugh, no fun. I hope you are feeling well soon.
Closed Thread