Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:51 PM   #8961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's snowing on the mountaintops and it's been a literary day. Read in bed for an hour this morning (Craig Ferguson's American on Purpose -- excellent! ) ---on my Kindle. Then general chores, laundry, and a walk. This afternoon, did some errands, then visited the local library and signed up for my library card. Got a tutorial on elibrary resources (Kindle ebooks are not yet available in Canada ), borrowed a (real) book (Pope Joan), came home and have been downloading library software and getting oriented. I can read ebooks and audiobooks on my PC and my Blackberry. Downloaded Secretariat on my PC and transferred it to my BB. I have 21 days to read it. Then made dinner: chicken Kiev and baby bok choi with a glass of Hester Creek Trebbiano 2010. Delicious!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #8962
Give me a forum ...

Changed out engine coolant thermostat of my 99 Suburban. With the cooler weather, noticed weeny heater performance. Now nice 'n toasty.

What are the odds of a 95 Jag and a 99 GMC having thermostats go kaflooey a few weeks apart? Both looked original.

Heh, as always the trick is figuring out the problem before going on a wild parts replacement spree.

Interestingly, Thermostat for GMC about $8.-, for the Jag $ 16.- at NAPA.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #8963
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Did some troubleshooting on the RV water heater to figure out why it wasn't working properly on propane but OK on elec. Found the air mixing vent was allowing in too much air, causing the flame to blow out. Adjusted and all is working fine now.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #8964
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
That guy wouldn't be Jack Newton?
No, not Jack Newton, I've seen his website though, some nice images and seems to be an impressive fellow! The guy who helped me lives near Toronto, first name Chris, very active using the astronomy video camera that I have (Mallincam Extreme) and very knowledgeable when it comes to using these cameras. Also very helpful to newbies.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #8965
Recycles dryer sheets

Watching NFL football on free TV in Rita, and plan to start a burn pile... so I get to enjoy two of my favorite things in life. Burn yard slash and watch the 49ers win another game...hopefully!

Trex
Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #8966
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just watched 60 Minutes profile of UMBC President Freeman Hrabowski. Pretty amazing guy who's led University of Md-Baltimore Campus (UMBC) students to achieve some outstanding things. Yes, math is hot!

My favorite tidbit is that UMBC has no football team. The "cool" team on the UMBC campus is................

...wait for it.........

The chess team!
Old 11-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #8967
Give me a forum ...

I roasted a whole chicken today, lightly sprinkled with salt and pepper and poultry seasoning.
I caught a sale at 0.99 per lb last week and bought two nice big fat chickie-lickies.
Mr B did the carving and stripped the carcass after dinner. I put all of the bones into a pot with water, simmered it for 30 minutes, then strained it out into a container for freezing. This will be used for homemade chicken noodle soup sometime this winter. I never buy canned chicken broth anymore - too much @!#* salt and very little body to it.

We are watching the NY Jets and New England Patriots (boo hiss ) play football.
Love that Spandex!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #8968
Moderator Emeritus

After being rained out for three straight mornings, I finally finished clamping enough photovoltaic panels on the new racks to connect up the first string. Much to my surprise, it's all working fine.

Tomorrow I'm going to drill more holes in a new roof and start building the second set of racks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, not just you, but I notice some other posters have also been absent. Like CuppaJoe, Martha, Dex, etc... I really wonder...
CuppaJoe? No idea.

Martha? On an RV trip, bandwidth limited, not finding much here to talk about.

Dex? Nursing his wounded pride after going 100% cash at darn near the bottom of last summer's market. Or maybe he used some of that cash to buy an RV and hit the road with everyone else...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #8969
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saturday, DS-8 and I went riding our bikes in the military park. It was a beautiful day. I had to retrieve my bike from the attic where it had been for 25 years and replace all replaceable rubber pieces. I had to get a big fat seat for my big fat ass.

Sunday, my boys got a 11 week old German Shepard puppy. Life is good.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 AM   #8970

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I never buy canned chicken broth anymore - too much @!#* salt and very little body to it.

We are watching the NY Jets and New England Patriots (boo hiss ) play football.
Love that Spandex!
The bought broth is almost as disgusting as the Pats. Green Bay fan since I
was 8.LOL
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #8971
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
The bought broth is almost as disgusting as the Pats. Green Bay fan since I
was 8.LOL
Mr B had his moment of glory watching the Pats shellack the Jets.
I just tucked my tail in and went to bed...

And I learned not to expect much from Buffalo years ago...they had to keep changing the Buffalo telephone system area code with each passing SuperBowl...041 042 043 044...

http://www.ehow.com/about_5045674_bu...l-history.html

Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #8972
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made a trip to the local USPS and mailed off request for TSP withdrawal.
Made several days worth of salads.
Combed enough hair off the cat to knit another cat.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #8973
Give me a forum ...

Dex already had a travel trailer, a Casita.

About Martha boondocking somewhere, yes, I would expect that.

Does anybody know about CJ? I am hoping that she is the new owner of R-i-T's practically new Itasca motorhome (despite the big scratch on the passenger side, which was already fixed, I believe), and has driven off with her SO to some exotic places, like to the end of the Dempster highway.

Just want to be sure everybody is still OK... I may just run across them in the campgrounds somewhere in the future (and they would not know me! ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
CuppaJoe? No idea.

Martha? On an RV trip, bandwidth limited, not finding much here to talk about.

Dex? Nursing his wounded pride after going 100% cash at darn near the bottom of last summer's market. Or maybe he used some of that cash to buy an RV and hit the road with everyone else...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #8974

Stayed in pj's most of the day with bf who is also sick. Just chilling out in our new house, he is playing new video game and I am cruising the net....cats are sleeping...I love days like this
Old 11-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #8975
Give me a forum ...

I had 3 contractors here today doing a custom damper hood and inner fluer liner for both of my chimneys. It will help keep heat from escaping the room when there is no fire, and provide a safety barrier to prevent chimney fires.
The draft for the upper fireplace is greatly reduced, as we all expected, so they recommended putting one of those thermally activated spinners at the top to increase the flow out of the chimney.
The fence posts are straigntened and the double gate is fixed. I can open it with 2 fingers.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #8976

Went grocery shopping, made apple crumble for me and two of my cousins. added raisins and cranberries to the apples, Started making drawers to modify some kitchen cupboards upstairs. I will remove one single door and add three shallow drawers and one deep one at the bottom. Did a little clean up in the workshop and garage. Need a new belt for the able saw. Made mushroom rice and pork chops for dinner followed by a banana and apple crumble. My cousin and I ate well.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #8977
Recycles dryer sheets

Today I cut down a tree that was dying in the front yard. Very sad to take the tree down, but a rotten limb was making it a hazard to the house and anything below it's fall line. I would like to replace it with an apple tree... once I remove the root system.

Trex
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #8978
Administrator

We’re having the floors refinished. Multiple areas of water damage (roof, door) and damage from the previous owner when they moved out. The furniture is in the garage, so we had dinner tonight around a decorative table with some office chairs. Lots of reminiscing about “back in the day” when this was "it". Without the chairs, wine or nice plates of course The good old days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen.jpg (57.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM   #8979

Finished two 4-week photography classes and learned lots of new stuff. I'm now trying to tame down the ego after a guy who spent 30 years behind a camera for National Geographic says "You do excellent work" and pointedly mentioned that there is especially a huge market for restoring old photos after showing a few that I did. He's turning away a lot of that because he doesn't have time and that's not what he wants to do.

Hmm... Is that what I want to do? Have to think about that one. It was fun learning about it but I'm not sure I'd want to do that all the time.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #8980
Give me a forum ...

I paid off the contractors. They were very happy with my promptness in forking over the dough. The lead guy said he usually has to chase people down.
The remaining part is on order and be installed free of charge in 3 days.

I am watching the rain and watching Mr B stretched out in the recliner.
He's so cute when he rests his eyes sleeps.

Did I make anyone nauseous ?