Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #9361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice bike ride with Lena and Jenny in between rainstorms.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 AM   #9362
Give me a forum ...

Realized I’ve been a forum member for five years today.

During this time I’ve made dear friends and received sincere support during some of my darkest days. Folk’s opinions from different walks of life have opened my mind for further consideration. Many tears have been shed and humor has ranged from smiles to nearly peeing in my pants. I’ve gained knowledge regarding finances, retirement, health issues, affairs of the heart, travel, pet care, the military, music, housing….

…..and bacon.

At the time of this writing, there have been 14,860 views to my profile page, 1,045 ‘thank yous’ received, 7,899 posts made, 47 new threads submitted….

….and a partridge in a pear tree.

Tonya
Old 12-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #9363
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
... humor has ranged from smiles to nearly peeing in my pants..
Links to such posts, please?

I don't want to miss out on any such good fun. ;-)

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #9364
Moderator Emeritus

bbbamI - Congrats on the 5 years!

I agree - this forum is a great source of info on a variety of issues, and certainly helps to smooth out the potholes on the road of life.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #9365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Hmmmm...well, what makes me piddle my pants might not do the same for you. ...ummm, do men admit to leakage due to humor or do they just say they spew their beverage on the computer screen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
bbbamI - Congrats on the 5 years!

I agree - this forum is a great source of info on a variety of issues, and certainly helps to smooth out the potholes on the road of life.
Thanks Ron.

btw, I too loved your gift story. Kudos to you for causing your DW to scream with delight.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #9366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmmm...well, what makes me piddle my pants might not do the same for you. ...ummm, do men admit to leakage due to humor or do they just say they spew their beverage on the computer screen....
Well, I am still curious, so as to "refine" my jokes. I like to tickle women (verbally only!) , you know?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM   #9367
Moderator Emeritus

Yardwork. Three cans of green waste at the street, ready for tomorrow's pickup. Now just as soon as I rebuild the fuel lines on our weedwhacker, I can start hacking back the jungle formerly known as our back yard downslope.

Going out tonight with some shipmates whom we haven't seen in at least 15 years. When we last met, we took our kids through the San Diego Zoo in strollers. Now one is a sophomore in college and the other is a sophomore in high school. We're going to dine in Waikiki and then stroll among the sights & sounds, no doubt remarking how we haven't changed a bit over the years...

Quote:
I guess it could've been worse-- you could've asked for pictures.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #9368
Give me a forum ...

Did my charitable contributions for the year today. Waited too long to do them through Quicken Billpay and have them go out before year end so I had to write a bunch of checks. Yuk.

Now wondering how ER will/should change my level of charitable giving since I won't have a paycheck coming in and the tax benefits will be significantly less. Perhaps my level of giving will fluctuate with market performance. Well, I have a year to figure it out.

Also shoveled the walks and deck, filled the wood rack and swept off the cars. And took a nap.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #9369
Give me a forum ...

Just noticed that my status has jumped from 4 stars/"Recycles dryer sheets" to 5 stars/"Full time employment: Posting here".

Now that is exciting!!! Interesting timing too given my recent RE.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #9370
Give me a forum ...

Exciting day here. Fire alarm kept going off this morning, but no smoke. Thought it might be the woodstove so I emptied it and we opened doors and windows for a while. After about an hour of the alarm going off every 10 minutes (after the hush period ends) I called the electrician who installed them about a year ago. He said that a number of his customers had been having problems recently and he would replace the detectors with a different brand.

Through trial and error I isolated it to the unit in the great room, removed it and all has been quiet since. Still have 4 units in place so still well protected.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #9371
Give me a forum ...

Just came inside from some yard work. The major pastime of my wife has been growing a veggie garden. In between growing seasons, I help by turning the soil and add amendment, i.e. manure, and dozens of bags of it. Temperature in the 70s, a perfect day for outdoor activities. T'is the nicest time of year in this part of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I guess it could've been worse-- you could've asked for pictures.
Well, perhaps I committed a faux pas by asking bbbamI to reveal some of her most liked jokes...

For you see, I have an ulterior motive...

I have noticed that some frequenters here never contributed any joke. Some others, a lot. I have done my share, and thought I have some good ones. Now, many of the jokes are of a sexual nature, and I have been guilty of contributing a few (hey, I only did it as a follower of the crowd). However, the ones I am most proud of are the jokes that cannot be said to be offensive by anyone. Not sexual, not political, not racist...

Something like this...

I was particularly proud of that. It was spontaneous, unexpected, and caught her by total surprise. Gosh, I still feel proud! Didn't I say I like to "tickle" people?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #9372
Give me a forum ...

What a beautiful day, just back from a nice walk with the dog at the reservoir. Wore shorts as it is 73 at this very moment. Yesterday was nice as well. Got in 9 holes of golf,washed and polished my SUV. Tonight.....eat some bbq, watch some football and enjoy a few med's. Is life great or what?
Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM   #9373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have noticed that some frequenters here never contributed any joke. Some others, a lot. I have done my share, and thought I have some good ones. Now, many of the jokes are of a sexual nature, and I have been guilty of contributing a few (hey, I only did it as a follower of the crowd). However, the ones I am most proud of are the jokes that cannot be said to be offensive by anyone. Not sexual, not political, not racist...

Something like this...

I was particularly proud of that. It was spontaneous, unexpected, and caught her by total surprise. Gosh, I still feel proud! Didn't I say I like to "tickle" people?
Ahhhh...you know I've been thinking about what you might look like...the best I could come up with was something like this..... I believe you have thick dark hair and it may be longer than is shown in the photo. But that's ok....I've always enjoyed a mystery.

As far as the sexual nature of humor goes...you have indeed tickled my fancy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnailCAKAO1UU.jpg (7.6 KB, 150 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #9374
Give me a forum ...

I've often kidded Jenny about how she tends to leave things open -- backpack, purse, etc. Lena mentioned that Jenny had left the garage door open, and I joked to J that she has a "closing disorder."

Well, apparently that was the wrong thing to say and now I'm in the doghouse for being judgmental and critical. Women!

Sometimes I think I should give up on joking and just be PC all the time.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #9375
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've often kidded Jenny about how she tends to leave things open -- backpack, purse, etc. Lena mentioned that Jenny had left the garage door open, and I joked to J that she has a "closing disorder."

Well, apparently that was the wrong thing to say and now I'm in the doghouse for being judgmental and critical. Women!

Sometimes I think I should give up on joking and just be PC all the time.
Aw!!! Well, I think it was funny, if that makes you feel better.

Maybe they were in a bad mood, or maybe it was one of those "tone-of-voice, body-language" things.

I was brought up to close things like garage doors, cabinets, drawers, or exterior doors that are open, and when others don't it seems like something is incomplete or haphazard.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:14 PM   #9376
Recycles dryer sheets

Took down the Christmas decorations (inside and out). Also tried to set up my brother's wireless internet collection but failed. I'm fairly computer literate except when it comes to the wireless network part. Usually my success in that area is due to dumb luck.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #9377
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've had so much fun over the last several days. I treated myself to a new Apple MacBook Pro (cheapest one) and have been setting it up. Since Quicken left me in the dust, I went with IBank and so far I really like it. Imported all my Quicken data with no problems. Finished setting up my 2012 budget this morning so I'm all ready for 2012.

I also purchased Apple TV and now have Netflix....
Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #9378
Give me a forum ...

Today..I'm gonna watch football, football and more football
Old 01-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #9379
Give me a forum ...

Been sick on and off for a week and a half now. So much for my vacation. Started a course of antibiotics this morning, partly out of desperation. A return to work is looming on Tuesday...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #9380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ahhhh...you know I've been thinking about what you might look like...the best I could come up with was something like this..... I believe you have thick dark hair and it may be longer than is shown in the photo.../
Yes, it is true that I have thick dark hair. Too much of it. In fact that I often wonder how free I would feel if I shaved my head. And it grows so fast that without frequent hair cuts, I would look like this.

About the photo that you post, as they say, "Clothes do make the man". Most men would look a lot better in a dapper suit.

Ah, it makes me feel like taking out my long-neglected suits to see if they have got any moth holes. And to try them on. Like Ha has said in a post, he once tried on a nice suit in a store and fell in love and wanted to kiss himself.

Closed Thread