Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #9481
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oops... So, they are really super generous! How can that be?

Doggone it, keep giving money away to geezers....

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #9482
Give me a forum ...

I went to the dentist to have my toofs cleaned and x-rayed. When I had my teeth cleaned last time by my perio, a numbing goo was rubbed on my gums. Worked very well.

I told my hygienist about that; she goo'd me up and gave me the happy gas. It was party city in bbbamI land for a while.

Then I found out I have a cavity. Will have that fixed next Wednesday.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #9483
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Then, we went to the post office to buy stamps. He bought a roll of stamps, but I only bought a book of them which should last me about two years. By then, the post office may be defunct at the rate it is downsizing and early retiring its employees.
You know the rates are changing in 4 days, right? If you bought forevers you saved about 20 cents.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #9484
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oops... So, they are really super generous! How can that be?

Doggone it, keep giving money away to geezers....
Since I just mailed in the first of what will be four checks for $1k+ each, I think you're a bit confused on who is giving money away...
Old 01-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #9485
Give me a forum ...

That's it? I saw on the Web some numbers that suggested the taxes were more like $8K+/year. And all this time, I felt sorry for the Texans. Should have reserved that for people on the East Coast...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #9486

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That's it? I saw on the Web some numbers that suggested the taxes were more like $8K+/year.
Depends on appraised value and taxing authorities. If I lived in "the city" rather than out in a rural county, my taxes would probably be what you describe.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #9487
Give me a forum ...

My two homes in the same state, one in the suburb of a metropolis, the other in the mountain (boonies), have roughly the same value. Two different counties. About the same in tax!

No wonder full-timers in the boonies love part-timers like us. We pay for their school, library, roads, etc..., and not even there full-time to use the service.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #9488
Moderator Emeritus

I'm getting ready to upgrade our Vista Home Premium PC to something called "Win7 Ultimate Upgrade", and I can't tell exactly how that's going to happen. I've spent some time putting together a list of the things I need to back up before my hard drive potentially gets slicked.

If it's really an "ultimate" then why am I doing all the work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
OK, I'll fess up. Sent off a check for my 2011 property taxes to the county tax office. First time I've been eligible for the "OA Exemption" (no 'generation war' comments, please!) which allows me to pay in four quarterly installments without interest.
Now if I can only remember to send another check in March and May and July...
Hey, at least you're paying them, instead of letting the state add them to your tab!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #9489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hey, at least you're paying them, instead of letting the state add them to your tab!
And my kids love me for it.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #9490
Recycles dryer sheets

I began the day trying to hand cut dovetails in some wood I salvaged from some old drawers. The results were so so, this was my second try. My chisels were far from adequate so I hauled out some Japanese water stones I bought a few years ago and was afraid to use, watched some how to videos on the internet and spent the afternoon putting a razor edge on all four of them. No joke, I licked my wrist and shaved hair with each one. Very satisfying. Tomorrow I'll give the dovetails another try. I want to build a quilt chest to house the quilts my wife made with all hand joinery and I can see myself doing it now.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #9491
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Farmers' Market, Grocery store(Kroger), Hardware store(ACE); Wednesday is chores/shopping day. Also laundry and dishwasher. Had to visit credit union as was computer mess up with debit card.

BTW, daffodils came up in December; weird #$% winter.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #9492
Recycles dryer sheets

After mega-doses of antibiotics for 10 days, I think I may be finally getting over pneumonia. Doctor agrees.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #9493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
After mega-doses of antibiotics for 10 days, I think I may be finally getting over pneumonia. Doctor agrees.
Thank goodness!!!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 01-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #9494
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You know the rates are changing in 4 days, right? If you bought forevers you saved about 20 cents.
Yes, we both bought forever stamps. I didn't realize they were going up, or that we saved so much! See? This whole day has been such a perfect day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #9495
Administrator

I just returned from a business trip to DC -- down this morning and back this evening. I sure won't miss this part when I retire.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #9496
Give me a forum ...

Toured Roseau, Dominica (very poor) and the rainforest, including the Emerald Pool (magnificent). Relaxing on cabin balcony overlooking the shore and debating whether to go for a swim now or later......the view is wonderful......
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #9497
Give me a forum ...

Hi everyone
I took a break from the site, no particular reason, just got busy with other things. Next time I'll leave a note to that effect.
I am happy to report that Mr B made the President's List with a GPA of 4.0 (4 As in all 4 courses) last semester. We made a copy and sent it to his Mom.
I came out of the holidays with a weight gain of 5 lbs. Argh! Better get my keister back in gear.
I am running out of things to do around the house, so I will get Zelinkski's book out and pick a new life adventure to pursue while Mr B cracks the books again this semester. He has a course that heavily involves algebra, so I will be his math tutor for that. I'll be using 3 dimensional objects to help him get the concepts down. This oughta be good.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #9498
Recycles dryer sheets

I started tiling the alcove where we are installing a wet bar, wine center next to the hot tub. You have to work a little now to reap the benefits later.

Just like everything in life.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #9499

Met with a pond designer this morning - we've decided to put a small goldfish / lily pond in the backyard. United Way board meeting over lunch (I got "Board Member of the Year" award so I must be spending too much time there!). Phone calls for another volunteer assignment, followed by drafting an e-mail communication for a third one. Hmmm...sounds a little like w*rk? But I'm sitting out on the patio now with the laptop enjoying a beautiful 77-degree January day, so it's all good.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #9500
Give me a forum ...

We had our first power outage of the year. I hooked up my electric piano and the woodstove fan to the inverter on the truck, and had a quiet morning practicing and reading a book on my iPod Touch in front of the fire.

The electric company continues to bat 500 at predicting when the power will come back on.
Closed Thread