Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #9601
Recycles dryer sheets

Avalon, what part of the country are you located? I haven't seen a harlans hawk in ages. We are seeing wintering bald eagles, Red tails, red shouldered, and peregrines. The peregrines just started nesting last year on the cliffs above the lake. We are hoping for a repeat performance this year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #9602
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The guy who did it is really into garage doors, and took a lot of time to talk about the different types.

He said that the older type springs that go in the tracks are complicated, and require cables inside so that when the snap, they don't fly all over the place.
I don't understand how they are more complex? It's just a spring along the rail attached to a cable (just like the cable on the drum of torsion systems). Yes, a wire cable runs through the center to just contain any flailing about if it snaps, but that isn't complex or expensive and requires no maintenance or adjustment. It just loops through one end and bolts down on the other end.

Our house is 25 YO, I've only replaced two springs (3 doors, so 6 springs total, only two doors are opened daily), and they didn't snap, you could see a stretched out part and the tension was less than it should be, so I replaced it (before it broke).

Quote:
The best type to buy is the jackshaft type that goes on the side of the doors. They are quieter and can be easily installed.

I like that, looks a lot 'cleaner' than the drive motor hanging on a bracket over the car (but I would have to run power there). But I would still prefer to use it with the extension springs so I could fix it cheap myself.

I am suspicious that the installer has a bias when he says the ones that require you to call him to fix them are 'better'. Better for him, no doubt.

-ERD50
Old 01-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #9603
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdofpray View Post
Avalon, what part of the country are you located? I haven't seen a harlans hawk in ages. We are seeing wintering bald eagles, Red tails, red shouldered, and peregrines. The peregrines just started nesting last year on the cliffs above the lake. We are hoping for a repeat performance this year.
PM sent. I've never seen a peregrine that I know of. That would be high point for me though. I've watched eagles working over flocks of geese in western Iowa. They have a way of keeping things stirred up.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #9604
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
PM sent. I've never seen a peregrine that I know of. That would be high point for me though. I've watched eagles working over flocks of geese in western Iowa. They have a way of keeping things stirred up.
Were you at DeSoto Bend? If so, I know it well. I spent many a fall weekend in my youth there tracking the migration of snow and blue geese. What an awesome spectacle!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #9605
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Were you at DeSoto Bend? If so, I know it well. I spent many a fall weekend in my youth there tracking the migration of snow and blue geese. What an awesome spectacle!
Wow, very good!! Yes, I've been to DeSoto many times. I own a small farm just a few miles north. I recall one Desoto count at over 500,000. That would have been in a mid November as I recall.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #9606
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Were you at DeSoto Bend?
Btw, don't know if you're aware, but DeSoto sustained heavy damage from the past summer's river flood.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #9607
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
DeSoto sustained heavy damage from the past summer's river flood.

Sorry to hear that, I haven't been back for years. Hope it will recover.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:24 PM   #9608
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thursday- Got up fixed coffee and breakfast for DW, sent her off to w**k. Finished packing and drove to our daugther's apt, about 2.5 hrs away. Took down some drapies, fixed a few door jams (sanding, wood filler, sanding, painting) vacumned, took down some light fixtures, Went to lunch and dinner (at two of Guy Fieri 3D recommended places). On the way home from dinner we stopped and got some frozen yogart. Good day got it all done. Hope the apt folks feel the same way and return all her deposit.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #9609
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Discovered this stone tool near the old trail running across our property.

Wonder what rate of return the owner used in his/her retirement model?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0207.jpg (511.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #9610
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Wonder what rate of return the owner used in his/her retirement model?
Hopefully he did really well trading animal hide futures.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #9611

Yesterday I had a new furness/AC installed...bye, bye $$.

I've had to call for repairs 3 or 4 times over the last two years and enough is enough. It scares me when new, odd smells come thru the heating vents, not knowing if your house is going to burn down or something.

Anyway, I'm now the proud owner of a Trane 95% efficiency furness with a variable speed blower and an add-on humidifier along with a really nifty programable thermostat.

One thing I did learn with the last repair (bad circuit board) was the tech had to hard wire my blower/fan and by-pass the circuit board, for one day, until they could install the new furness. The blower was running all the time and that bothered me, since, I don't understand the workings of a furness. So, I did some snooping on the internet and found that some techs run their blowers all the time. So, I felt better after I found that (didn't worry any more).

That night, the air in my house felt so much better with that blower running all the time. So, that's the reason I bought the variable-speed blower. Anyway, I'm very happy with my new system and hopefully no more repairs for awhile.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #9612
Moderator Emeritus

I've been filling out the "American Community Survey", which the U.S. Dept of Commerce Economics and Statistics Administration U.S. Census Bureau has assured me is required by federal law. I'm an hour into it and now I need to research the Quicken data.

I'm not concerned about the accuracy of my answers. I'm more concerned that any inaccuracies will be held against us for the rest of our lives.

21 multi-part questions on housing followed by 48 more multi-part questions for "Person1" and "Person2". I've been informed that "Person3" is no longer considered a resident, although the IRS may grant me the privilege of claiming her as a dependent.

I look forward to the day when Google's bots will complete this survey for us. Probably more quickly and more accurately, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The best type to buy is the jackshaft type that goes on the side of the doors. They are quieter and can be easily installed.
Looks like those have come a long way. They get rid of that long chain & motor in the middle of the ceiling, too, as well as a tedious lubrication problem...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #9613
Administrator

(actually yesterday) Introduction to the joy and exhilaration of cystoscopy
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg thumbnail-1.aspx.jpeg (5.3 KB, 128 views)
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #9614
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
(actually yesterday) Introduction to the joy and exhilaration of cystoscopy
Yikes!

I sure hope this was as an observer, or if not, under the influence of a general anesthetic....
Old 01-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #9615
Administrator

Quote:
Yikes!

I sure hope this was as an observer, or if not, under the influence of a general anesthetic....
Awake for every single second of it, baby. I'm pretty sure it was the size of telephone pole and coated in sandpaper.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #9616

Quote:
Here's one I found about 10 years ago:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23 Feb 2002 007.jpg (604.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 01-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #9617
Give me a forum ...

Cleaned out the cabinet in my laundry room. I had a bunch of plastic bags that were taking up too much room in there, so I stuffed an empty upright tissue box with some of the bags. Much neater and takes up very little space.

Yeppers, that's what I've done today.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #9618
Moderator Emeritus

*SIGH*

I dealt with an outbreak of politics on a message board I moderate. I really, really hate these new eternal campaigns. It's so calm here, relatively speaking. Thank you, neighborhood moderator persons.

Gumby, it could be worse. I'll see your cystoscope and raise you a box of catheters. I've got a prostate biopsy lined up for Monday. Local anesthetic only. :-( Oy. They couldn't spare maybe a little happy juice?
Old 01-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #9619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
<snip> I've got a prostate biopsy lined up for Monday. Local anesthetic only. :-( Oy. They couldn't spare maybe a little happy juice?
Here's wishing you the best on a good biopsy report....
Old 01-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #9620
Give me a forum ...

I purchased a little fiberglass camper trailer in December and am having fun updating it.

My current project is to make it more electrically efficient so it can boondock longer on its battery power. I'm replacing the lights with LED panels off eBay and building little voltage regulators to protect the cheap LEDs. As an ME, my electronic knowledge is pretty basic, but you can learn anything on the internet. I've also discovered that you can buy just about any electronic component for pennies if you wait for it to be mailed from China.

I'm patient.
Closed Thread