Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #9721
Moderator Emeritus

We had Chinese for lunch today.

The weather was spectacular, and so the loonie drivers were out in force. To get off the streets after lunch, shopping seemed to be in order. We stopped at a mattress store to check out the Tempurpedic mattresses. They are so comfortable! So, I guess I have begun the first baby steps in my "replace everything in the bedroom in 2012" campaign. I didn't buy the mattress yet, but I know which one I like.

I'll find and buy the new bedroom furniture first. That should take a few months since I am particular to a fault. I thought of beginning that search this afternoon, but decided instead to take refuge from the traffic.

Edited to add: our new library is finally open! It was completely destroyed by Hurricane Katrina, and has been rebuilt, tiny and crowded but all fresh and new and lovely. We also spent an hour or so there this afternoon, just checking things out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg library.jpg (36.6 KB, 4 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #9722
Moderator Emeritus

Today's been another writing day, along with a couple hours of working on Dad's finances. That's going well.

We're getting harsh winter weather: rain from the south, along with gusts up to at least 40 knots. It's the worst weather we've had since the renovation last year, and I'm really glad we upgraded to 7" gutters, but all the construction looks fine.

Unfortunately the weather is stripping the blossoms off the lychee tree before the bees can finish pollinating, so we might not get a lychee crop this year after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Saw this post on MMM's website; a post by Nords...Mr Badassity himself! Congrats.
Thanks! Blog hits doubled yesterday, and today's doing a substantial echo of that. I had a "Start here" page waiting for everyone that came trooping over from MMM's website. I also had a "military pay & benefits cuts" post ready to give them a reason to keep coming back for more...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #9723
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to the dentist concerning that tooth pain spot.
Give it a week to recover, but probably looking at large amounts of money for replacement of front top incisors from gum level.
Getting old is crap.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #9724
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

E-filed my BIL's federal and state taxes. $553 federal tax due on an annual income of $15,004 (from which $1382 is deducted for health insurance). Taxes take a big bite when you live that close to the edge. He gets a small credit of $187 for being retired and disabled, but his tax is still $366.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #9725

Met the manager from our lawn maintenance company to scope out total destruction - removing all of the shrubs and bushes from the beds along the house. They probably were installed when the house was new - in 1976 .

Spent the rest of the morning helping an 81-year old neighbor pack her household goods. She's moving this week with her SO into a continuing-care retirement community apartment. She was widowed 12 years ago and we are all so happy for both of them. (I'll be back there tomorrow morning to help her with the kitchen.)

Drove downtown to take the nonprofit IT director that I mentor out for lunch and then we went back to the office to help her clean out 10 years of detritus from the board conference room. After 3 hours, we had removed two large bins of trash, fixed at least a dozen technical issues, and rearranged the room to make it look super professional.

Just barely beat rush hour home, and found total destruction complete . (They'll be back next week to build some new beds and get the soil prepped for new plants.) Grilled sausages and veggies for dinner, then off to church personnel committee meeting. After all that, vegged out with a glass of wine, a little TV, and FIRE boards. All in all, a perfect day! (Yes, I'm still a bit of a Type A.)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #9726
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After my morning workout, went for breakfest at a place called Wicked Googly. First time in there. As I walked up to the counter, the hostess with the mostest had jet black hair, red hot hot lipstick, pale bosom properly amplified and displayed by pushup bra. As I sat down said to her, Hi Betty Boop. She chuckled. I followed up with, Say, you just need an old Rat Rod in the middle of the floor to complete the picture. More giggles.

She took my order for an omelette with ham an' cheese. Finishing my first cup of coffe, she shows up with a refill and my order, explaining that the cook added onions and peppers. I said that is OK, I do like onions, peppers are allright as well. She said I love you. Hmm I said, that is almost as good as my first trip to Baltimore, having stopped in a bar for a beer. After finishing one bottle, the waitress said, Hon, want another one? I replied, friendly aren't we? Hon after one beer, what happens after the second?

All in all a pleasant breakfest.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:23 PM   #9727
Moderator Emeritus

This week's windy/rainy weather did most of our yardwork for us, and all I had to do was pick it up. Four cans of haleconia green waste. I left the blossoms but got rid of the shredded leaves. We can see the view corner of the yard again, but I'm going to have to sneak over onto city property to cut down some haole koa trees that are still blocking the horizon view.

Finally finished sending copies of "The Military Guide" to libraries. I'm about libraried out:
- two to the Hawaii State Public Library System,
- one to Marine Corps Base Kaneohe
- one to Camp H.M. Smith (another Marine base, but also home of PACOM)
- three to Schofield Barracks for their branches at Aliamanu and Fort Shafter,
- and one to Joint Base Pearl Harbor, where the library is actually on Hickam AFB. Or whatever the BRAC is calling it now.

This has been a big writing week. Guest posts are up at both MrMoneyMustache.com and Jeff Rose's "Good Financial Cents". I'm a DIY investor, but if I was going to use a military-friendly advisor then it'd be someone like Jeff. He's starting down the same road for the Millennials that Rick Ferri blazed for our generation.

Before you read my guest post, though, put it in context with Jeff's earlier post about "7 Financial Advisors I Would Like to Punch in the Face". Back away from your monitor a bit when you click that link-- the first photo is sorta, um, in your face.

Then read my "HOOAH" guest post. I couldn't persuade him to call it "AH-OOO-GAH"...*

* Submarine humor. It sounds like the old-school diving alarm, get it?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #9728
Recycles dryer sheets

Baked rye bread, ground mustard seeds to make make a cooked mustard sauce, and marinated some pumpkin seeds. Placed a buy order for PEP @ 63.45.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #9729
Give me a forum ...

Worked on finishing setting up an LLC through which I will do some part-time consulting w*rk in ER and started on forms to buy small group health insurance coverage for me and DW through the LLC instead of COBRA through Megacorp. Should save me ~250/month.

Had a bowl of Costco Lobster Bisque and some leftovers for lunch and went for a nice long walk with DW in the afternoon and stopped by to visit a couple neighbors.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #9730

Checkup from the doc shows I'm healing nicely.

A few weeks ago, I went out to the garden shed to get some potting soil for DW's windowsill plants. Shed door was iced shut from a storm, so I pulled as hard as I could on the handle to break the ice and open the door. The metal handle broke in half, and very nearly removed my right index finger. The bone was clearly visible (I was fascinated to see how remarkably white the bone looked).

Three surgeries later, it looks like I'm out of the woods. Still a really nasty looking mess, and I have to spend about 15 minutes twice a day on treatment before changing the dressings, as well as an incredible regimen of multiple antibiotics and Percocet all day.

But the thing is healing, and I finally have enough strength in the hand to do a proper job of brushing my teeth, which is (strangely) what bothered me most.

The positive spin on this is that I'm extremely pleased at how much more I can do with my left hand now. Dexterity with the sinister hand is cool!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #9731
Moderator Emeritus

Nice guest post, Nords!

Braumeister, glad to hear that you are healing so nicely.

Today after a fabulous Cajun lunch I decided we were going to start shopping for my new bedroom furniture. F. came along with me, cheerfully with no complaints and he was very helpful, too. I dragged him through just one mega-store that probably had 40 bedroom sets to look at, strewn throughout the huge store amid other furniture. And we had a saleslady who was helpful, but wanted to show me every single set.

It took an hour or two, and by the time we had seen it all I was so tired and dazed that I didn't even know what I liked any more. They all looked the same to me. Most looked too huge for anyone that doesn't live in a castle with 18 foot ceilings, and many also seemed too masculine for me with massive, foreboding looking black leather headboards covered with metal studs. Like, women don't sleep too?

We can try again on another day. Much more of this and I will stick with the bedroom set I've got (low-mid consumer grade 1970's era pseudo-Spanish style but still usable and no black leather or metal studs).

Old 02-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #9732
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We can try again on another day. Much more of this and I will stick with the bedroom set I've got (low-mid consumer grade 1970's era pseudo-Spanish style but still usable and no black leather or metal studs).
Our bedroom furniture includes the dresser that my parents bought for me when I was born-- literally 51 years old. Hey, they paid full retail at Fady's Fine Furniture so I figure I should get my money's worth. Fady's recently went out of business and has been taken over by the "La Bellezza Spa", so I guess I don't get any more warranty service on the finish...

The rest of our bedroom furniture is a whole bunch of 1970s-80s ensign-affordable pieces from Goodwill & overseas. Because for 99% of the things we do in there, we're not lookin' at the furniture.

However we regularly treat ourselves to high-quality mattresses and new pillows.

Another headboard option (even if you're a leather fan) would be covering it in upholstery fabric. 10 years from now you only have to change the fabric. Or not.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #9733
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Then read my "HOOAH" guest post. I couldn't persuade him to call it "AH-OOO-GAH"...*

* Submarine humor. It sounds like the old-school diving alarm, get it?
Nice guest post, Nords.

My dream is to hook up my front doorbell to a klaxon, but I don't think the young wife would go along.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #9734

Quote:
It took an hour or two, and by the time we had seen it all I was so tired and dazed that I didn't even know what I liked any more. They all looked the same to me. Most looked too huge for anyone that doesn't live in a castle with 18 foot ceilings, and many also seemed too masculine for me with massive, foreboding looking black leather headboards covered with metal studs. Like, women don't sleep too?

That is exactly what happens to me, when I have too many choices. I get dazed and confused and so tired and could care less about buying anything. I would never make it as a good shopper.

Our bedroom furniture is from the early 70's also. It is not something I would ever pick out today, but it is still good. Besides, if we decided to buy something different, that would mean I would have to go shopping. No thanks, for the time being.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #9735
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, after reading Nords' and Dreamer's comments I am starting to wonder if I really want any of the new furniture I saw today at all. Function is more important to me in bedroom furniture than style. I need a bed that is higher and sturdier, but the rest of my present furniture is usable.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #9736
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R
Yes, after reading Nords' and Dreamer's comments I am starting to wonder if I really want any of the new furniture I saw today at all. Function is more important to me in bedroom furniture than style. I need a bed that is higher and sturdier, but the rest of my present furniture is usable.
I'm with you there. If it's a comfy bed, but you're just sick of looking at it, why not paint is a funky color and give it a new lease on life?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #9737
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My dream is to hook up my front doorbell to a klaxon, but I don't think the young wife would go along.
People would drive to your house from miles away just to ring the doorbell...

Gee, there's an idea. Ringtones for electronic doorbells. Hmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
That is exactly what happens to me, when I have too many choices. I get dazed and confused and so tired and could care less about buying anything. I would never make it as a good shopper.
There's an actual name for this consumer behavior: decision fatigue. Ideally the buyer gets tired of looking and just caves in to say "Oh, OK, I'll take that one." Unfortunately this sales rep had little experience with shoppers of W2R's fortitude.

Would you like fries with that? How 'bout our desserts today? Paper or plastic?

Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 PM   #9738
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I'm with you there. If it's a comfy bed, but you're just sick of looking at it, why not paint is a funky color and give it a new lease on life?
The color of my present furniture (green) is OK with me. At least it's not too somber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
There's an actual name for this consumer behavior: decision fatigue. Ideally the buyer gets tired of looking and just caves in to say "Oh, OK, I'll take that one." Unfortunately this sales rep had little experience with shoppers of W2R's fortitude.

Would you like fries with that? How 'bout our desserts today? Paper or plastic?
Maybe that is what she was trying to do! I didn't even think about that.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #9739

Our bedroom furniture is a king size bed on bare frame, 4 big dog beds, and 2 small cat beds. And getting up in the middle of the night(now more frequently) is like stepping over live land mines.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #9740

Quote:
It took an hour or two, and by the time we had seen it all I was so tired and dazed that I didn't even know what I liked any more.
We ran into that issue too when we moved to WV. We decided to get rid of the set that I'd bought for my first apartment in 1975 so I figured I got my nickel's worth out of it. We had to take a break from shopping for a couple of months and then went back with a better idea of what we wanted.

No black leather and metal studs though.

Now we really should get a new couch for the family room but that may take a while as neither one of us gets enthused about shopping. The moon and the stars have to be in the correct alignment for us to do that at the same time.