what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was up just as the sun came up over the eastern mountains.

img_1162847_0_9effc25aa02dc6267c68986137359c3a.jpg

Went out with SO to Emeryville for our traditional food outing yesterday. There's a food vendor she used to visit with her Mum, and continued to go after her Mum died a few years ago. The visits have become sort of a tradition. Now I go with her every so often. They know her and are always happy to see her. We get the house chow mein, which I always look forward to. Had a lovely day.

I did notice while traveling home in the evening via a combination of train, bus and walking, that since cutting down the carbs and greatly increasing my intake of fruit and veggies, that my energy level is more constant throughout the day. That alone is enough to keep me eating this way (plus the fact that I like fruit and veggies, so it's not exactly a tough diet.)

It's common sense that what you eat directly affects you, but it's gratifying and quite an eye-opener to experience it in practice.

Attacked our exercise/junk room today. Cleared out two bookcases and moved them to the garage. Threw away stuff, donated stuff and found other places to store stuff. Everything is moved out of that room except for the weight machine. :dance:

I'm going to paint the room, add a tv (for exercise dvds), create some paintings/drawings for the walls and add a couple of plants.

Actually used the machine this evening. 20 reps on five different types of exercise. Starting out on 20 lb weights since I'm woefully out-of-shape in the muscle dept. I'm such a girl. :rolleyes:

Spent the day Friday and Saturday working on scrapbooks with a bunch of women much craftier than I. Friday I finished DS's HS graduation pages so I can complete his HS scrapbook. Today I completed about 10 pages of our "extreme home makeover" album - in November 2009 we bought a 1976 house that had minimal updates (think original shag carpets) and had a contractor totally remodel/update it. We moved in April 2010. Looking back, I have no idea how I project managed the remodeling while w*rking 50+ hours/week. Fortunately, the remodel turned out great.

Came home and cooked dinner - grilled stuffed pork chops, sweet potatoes and broccoli. DH and I enjoyed with a nice bottle of Bogle Phantom wine.

Prepared lesson to teach adult Sunday school class tomorrow. Got a happy e-mail that my college roommate's surgery yesterday went well and that she is home enjoying the flowers I sent. Oh yes, it rained the past two days which makes all of us drought-stricken folks very happy!

Our college daughter e-mailed us to schedule a phone call "just because she misses talking to us". (Cue ominous soundtrack.) It turns out that she really did just miss talking to us, and there was no bad news or apocalyptic problems or misbehavior. Amazing.

Everything's going well, she's doing "OK" in classes, she's having an "active social life" (I don't need to know), and she's happy with NROTC. In fact she sounds like she's having a wonderful sophomore year, and she wanted to let us know that it's worth every penny of the $44,795 on our 2011 IRS Form 1098-T.

The Navy's submarine community is literally working with the women in her unit to schedule their summer cruise. Someone has really put their horsepower behind the program.

Oh yes, it rained the past two days which makes all of us drought-stricken folks very happy!
Ironically our daughter complained about how wet Houston has been. I bet she'll be missing this weather in about five-six months...

Down in the deep dark recesses of a drawer I found a box of 35mm Kodachrome slides from a shift party in 1978 so I had to scan them. This is one from an era in which we were invincible:

Attachments

• 1978 Pool Party_0032.jpg
    1978 Pool Party_0032.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 12
Down in the deep dark recesses of a drawer I found a box of 35mm Kodachrome slides from a shift party in 1978 so I had to scan them. This is one from an era in which we were invincible:

Wow! June of 1978. Had just graduated from college, purchased a Honda 750, and was building houses to earn $$$ for an upcoming road trip to Canada, before reporting to my first Air Force duty station in July.

Thx for the trip down memory lane.

Wow! June of 1978. Had just...
...left the military after eight years and was struggling to start a second career with two kids age seven and three. DW, a stay at home mom, took an afternoon paper route to help pay the bills. Thankfully I got promoted within six months and we could then make it - just barely - on my salary alone.

June "78 Just started dating the soon to be Ms.G. Well took 3 years.

Last edited:
I did nothing, but DW made love to me :LOL: ...

Heck, I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm good once as I ever was...

Priceless...

Wow! June of 1978. Had just graduated from college, purchased a Honda 750, and was building houses to earn $$$ for an upcoming road trip to Canada, before reporting to my first Air Force duty station in July.

Thx for the trip down memory lane.
Of one who enlisted in USAF back in '67, along with my (first of three) MC's, in Texas (late 1067) with my first bike (one of three) a Suziki 125 (BTW, purchased a 750CC 25th year anniversary edition in 1980, or so):

Attachments

• WinterScene.jpg
    WinterScene.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 9
  • Bike1.jpg
    Bike1.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 5
Of one who enlisted in USAF back in '67, along with my (first of three) MC's, in Texas (late 1067) with my first bike (one of three) a Suziki 125 (BTW, purchased a 750CC 25th year anniversary edition in 1980, or so):

You've aged well.

How's the 1,000 year old bike running? ;)

Brewed a single hop American pale ale. Palisade. Part of a set of identical recipe beers at my homebrew club, with the only difference being the hop variety (adjusted for alpha acid level). We have a meeting planned where we will test our hop palates, and build mixed hop 6 packs. I love drinking other brewers good beer...not having to pay sin tax is icing on the cake.

Wow! June of 1978. Had just...
Completed 2nd year of college in May and was being trained to be a small engine mechanic for Sears during the summer. :D
I was totally single :dance: and heavily into my education/career building track. I broke a few "marry me" hearts along the way without meaning to. Sorry guys! ;)

Today is another math tutoring day...Mr B is being confronted with decision variables with multiple subscripts in simultaneous linear equations. His colorful descriptions :blush: of the math symbols crack me up. :LOL:

I'm enjoying a nice glass of Malbec (Sonoma County) wine from a bottle that one of his college professors gave him in exchange for a bottle of imported Portuguese wine we picked up for the Prof in MA at xmas. I think I have a new entry on my favorite wine list. :D

Doing laundry as usual now that the septic tank had a full week to drain from the toilet tank failure and downstairs flooding episode. The toilet tank flapper never malfunctioned again. Do do do dooooooooo....But I still keep a watchful eye on it nonetheless.

Hey, that looks like my high-school graduation party!

No, wait. The date's right, but it's the wrong kind of smokes and not enough beers...

Wow! June of 1978.

June of 1978? I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant with our first child, but felt like it was 10 months. The Navy doctor was telling me he heard a third heartbeat and I might be pregnant with twins (I wasn't). My ex was in the Navy and his ship had been in the Philippines since the previous December. All our possessions had been stolen when we moved to San Diego, days before he left. I was alone, in a city that was strange to me and where I knew nobody.

End of the story: He got back in late July, after our baby was due, but she was a week late so he made it just in time. What a happy day that was! Our baby is now a grown-up herself. :D

June 1978- was finishing the first year of work an living with 3 other guys sharing a house and partying hard. Back then would think nothing of closing the bars at 2am and getting to work by 8am. To even think of doing that now hurts.

Good weekend here. Went to a couple good college hockey games, a couples pitch tournament Saturday night with DW, BIL, SILs and some friends, and put about 50 miles in snowmobiling. Beautiful sunny day today. Life is good.

Went to an open house at a new hospital due to open in a few days; they also had a health fair.
Picked up some info on retirement communities; that stuff is depressing.

June 1978 I had a 7 year old and a 1 1/2 year old . My first marriage was disintegrating and within a year I was a single Mom . That's when I finally got my financial life in order and started saving .

Ok..I'll play. In June 1978, I was married one year. In June of this year, I'll be married to the same man for 35 years.

My oh my...times does fly...

In June of 1978 after a sad family experience we signed a contract to buy our first house for $67,000, interest rate of 7.5 percent. We still live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom