Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #9801
Administrator

June 1978 was excellent, but close to the end of an era.

Along with SIL and her husband we drove to the west coast of Wales, took a ferry to Ireland and drove to the west coast where we had a magical 2 weeks on the Dingle pennisular. We got in with a crowd of young college students who were there as part of their college degree since that area was the last in the country where Gaelic was the first language.

Weather was glorious.

SIL announced she was 3 months pregnant. That was the end of our child-free adult vacations together for the next 28 years.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #9802
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
June of 1978? I was about 8 1/2 months pregnant with our first child, but felt like it was 10 months. The Navy doctor was telling me he heard a third heartbeat and I might be pregnant with twins (I wasn't). My ex was in the Navy and his ship had been in the Philippines since the previous December. All our possessions had been stolen when we moved to San Diego, days before he left. I was alone, in a city that was strange to me and where I knew nobody.

End of the story: He got back in late July, after our baby was due, but she was a week late so he made it just in time. What a happy day that was! Our baby is now a grown-up herself.
Tough memories. Those easy boomer times must have come along a little later.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #9803
Dryer sheet aficionado

June of 78. Had just turned sixteen and was navigating my way into trying to idenfity my teenage self. A ver tough year for a shy little girl.

Cass
Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #9804
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

June of 78. Had a 2 month old and I had returned to work full-time when he was 6 weeks old. Had no family in the area, was promoted and in training classes all day for 6 weeks. DH was a firefighter on an AF Base and worked 24 on and 24 off. I would already be gone by the time that he got in from work, so I was like a single parent for 2 days at a time. Newborn was keeping me up half the night. Told DH that I did not sign up to be a single parent and it was either the job or me. Luckily, he made the correct decision for me and we have been married over 39 years.

A few years before this, we were in the partying mode also. I can remember leaving work in Columbus OH and driving to Pittsburgh PA for a Pink Floyd concert and going back to Columbus OH and going to work the next day. I am sure that I could not do this now either!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #9805

June of 78 - drove up to Rochester, NY for a summer internship with Kodak. Had a great summer and they flew me back in February to interview for a full-time position. Arrived during a snowstorm; there was at least 2 feet on the ground the next morning but everyone went to work like normal. I decided Rochester was not the place for me and turned down the job. And given what has happened to Kodak, that was a really good choice.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #9806
Recycles dryer sheets

In June of 1978 I was starting my first year of full-time employment having just completed an Associate's Degree at the same institution where I have been employed ever since.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #9807

1978 I was still in High School. Hate looking at those photos with the bad hair (not sure why no-one told me how bad my perm looked) and my spotty skin. Sure wouldn't mind having my 16 yo body back tho.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #9808

1978 was my first full calendar year out of college and the second full calendar year of full time empl*yment in my chosen field.
  • Continued the moonlighting project started the previous year -- bi-weelky payroll for a 350 person enterprise, along with a subset of their weekly billing. Computers had not yet become ubiquitous and... you couldn't just download a copy of QuickBooks in that era. One actually had to know something about computers to use one. It took a few hours per week. They actually trusted a 21 year old with this.
  • Bought a new '78 Datsun 280Z.
  • Bought a house.
  • Started flight instruction. Ground school, meteorology class, and an A&P class were tuition free because I worked for a university that had a flight school. All classes were on the employer's time.
  • Decided that my j*b, despite all it's good qualities (and it did come with some nice benefits -- see previous bullet) was in reality a dead end one, so started a large search.
  • Accepted a new j*b.
  • Relocated to Big Dee.
  • Sold the house.
  • After two weeks on the new j*b, took a week off and vacationed in Florida. The time off was negotiated before accepting the offer.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #9809
Recycles dryer sheets

After a great visit with my mother in New Jersey, I attempted to fly home from Philadelphia today. The plane arrived, and promptly, broke down. Maintenance was called, an hour later they canceled the flight. I am rebooked on a plane tomorrow at 11am to Washington, then on to Greenville SC. The one hour flight is turning into a two day affair. As I sit in the Embassy Suites (provided by the airline), I am being philosophical. At least the malfunction was found while on the ground. I don't have to work tomorrow, because I am FIRED. All in all, things could be a whole bunch worse.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #9810
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What did I do today, on Mardi Gras here in New Orleans?

F.'s house is just a half block off a major parade route, and so of course cars are parked everywhere including across his driveway so he couldn't get out. Even if his driveway hadn't been blocked, there were too many people and cars blocking everything for him to get out. He called me and asked if I would come to "rescue" him, which I did. I drove as close as I could to his house, and picked him up there.

The traffic was outrageous. On the way to his house, a drunk at a stoplight even hit my Venza from behind, although there was no damage. Many more close calls were observed, and I wondered at my own sanity to be out driving around on Mardi Gras. We had a delicious lunch in Gonzales, Louisiana (seafood gumbo for me), almost all the way to Baton Rouge. After a stop at Cabela's, we decided to call it a day.

Edited to add: And then after writing the above post at F.'s house, the parades had ended so I drove the 2 miles or so to my house. On the way, I was rear-ended AGAIN while waiting to pull out into traffic on the major street where the parade had been. This time was even gentler than before, and again no damage, but I am fed up. Next year, HE drives! And if I never see a drunk again it will be too soon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #9811
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Made a dentist appointment to have the top front incisors sawn off and replaced; this getting old is a bunch of crap.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #9812
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Made a dentist appointment to have the top front incisors sawn off and replaced; this getting old is a bunch of crap.
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Some of us had to undergo yucky dental things with our incisors long before we "got old" so we understand.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #9813
Administrator

Quote:
Lots of us are facing dental problems as we age. I looked for a good dentist, it took a couple of years, but we finally found one that looks like she can help us deal with this, without excessive $$ or discomfort.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #9814
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Teeth? You've still got teeth? What the heck are you complaining about...

Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #9815
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never thought of dental work having much to do with getting old..

However, tonight meeting friends at happy hour, I noticed how uncomfortable the chairs were, how loud the music was and the outrageous price of my chicken sandwich.....

So there ya go....
Old 02-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #9816

Spent an hour and a half with Adobe tech support on Lightroom 3 (photo editing/workflow software) because it would instantly crash upon starting one module. Turns out there's a conflict with that and the driver for the Wacom graphics tablet. The lady on the phone actually seemed to know what she was talking about.

I installed the latest driver for the tablet and that seems to have fixed it. We'll see.

Also ordered three books on the software from Amazon.com. It's a steep learning curve.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #9817

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I've never thought of dental work having much to do with getting old..

However, tonight meeting friends at happy hour, I noticed how uncomfortable the chairs were, how loud the music was and the outrageous price of my chicken sandwich.....

So there ya go....

You just didn't drink enough to get happy!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #9818
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Lots of us are facing dental problems as we age. I looked for a good dentist, it took a couple of years, but we finally found one that looks like she can help us deal with this, without excessive $$ or discomfort.
Going to my dentist today. DW and I invested an estimated $200-$250K on dental "insurance", over the course of the last 20 years. Our DS is a practicing dentist 30 minutes from us. (The investment figure is the estimated cost of raising a child through undergraduate school (the internet has amazing resources)).

I know I'm biased, but he is the best dentist we have ever seen. Plus his fees are very reasonable. We baby sit for our grand daughter, I stained a deck, changed a faucet, you get the idea.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #9819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Spent an hour and a half with Adobe tech support on Lightroom 3 (photo editing/workflow software) because it would instantly crash upon starting one module. Turns out there's a conflict with that and the driver for the Wacom graphics tablet. The lady on the phone actually seemed to know what she was talking about.

I installed the latest driver for the tablet and that seems to have fixed it. We'll see.

Also ordered three books on the software from Amazon.com. It's a steep learning curve.
Best of luck with that Walt. I have CS2 here, but when one day it gets too long in the tooth and I have to get something else, I'll most likely be moving over to Lightroom. Photoshop is now too expensive and Lightroom seems to do a very good job for photographers. Let us know how it goes please.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #9820
Moderator Emeritus

I took MIL to the ER early this morning. I spent the morning there and I just finished booking a pet sitter to look after her pets while she is in the hospital. Now getting ready to eat lunch and then it's back to the ER.
Closed Thread