Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #9981
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We went for a walk and saw a whale spyhopping about five body lengths from the shore. This is the closest one I've seen.
Here's a photo of one that Lena took four years ago:
The whale's body must be longer than the water is deep. Maybe they're using the rocks for backscratchers.

Hopefully it's not trying to beach. I wonder if you'll see it in the same place tomorrow.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #9982
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The bottom must slope off very quickly, it's very surprising. He was definitely feeding, going back and forth.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #9983
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
The bottom must slope off very quickly, it's very surprising. He was definitely feeding, going back and forth.
Good thing you're not shark bait surfing that break...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #9984
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Received the delivery confirmation for my state tax return from the Franchise Tax Board in Sacramento. It was received by a Peter Dosh.

Those familiar with the British vernacular will understand the reason for my amusement.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 PM   #9985
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to dentist and had incisors installed. They feel very good. Wonder how many more I'll need to have replaced.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #9986
Give me a forum ...

I reviewed my tax return with TaxAct one more time, and verified all 1099's and K1's info were transcribed correctly. Yes, even though I am not a day trader, there are a few stock trades. Still found a couple of errors. Arghh...

I started this more than a month ago. Then, more than one brokerage house sent in their corrected 1099s in early March. Arghhh.... Then, I sat on it a bit longer.

Today, I could not stand the monkey on my back anymore, so after one last check, hit "send", and all those 0's and 1's bits were on their way to who-knows-where.

Just got an email saying the IRS has accepted my return, and the refund will be deposited around April 11. Even when I get a sizable refund, why is filing taxes as painful for me as Khan having her teeth fixed? Many years, I would procrastinate until April 15, even when I expected a refund.

I hate filing tax returns! Maybe I will live to the day when the IRS will figure out the taxes for me. Hey, they already know everything about me, where I keep my money, where I live, what I do. Then, they can just reach into my checking to get some more money, or to put some back, then just send me an email telling me what they have done.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #9987

Catching up after being away for most of the week, back in the Philly area taking my Mom to medical appointments. Also got to have dinner with DS who is in college nearby so that was a nice bonus. Fortunately my flight back yesterday was not affected by this idiot:

M-80s Taken to Feds' Lab After Airport Fireworks Arrest | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Last night I went directly from the airport to a chorus rehearsal - big concert with orchestra on Sunday (Durufle Requiem and Vaughan Williams Dona Nobis Pacem for any choral music geeks out there). Today I got my morning walk in, caught up on e-mail, made my "got to do" list, and had lunch (shrimp tacos) with a woman I serve as a volunteer career mentor for. Came home, packed up Easter care packages for DD and DS, made the grocery list, and headed out to mail the packages and get the groceries.

After putting everything away, fed the (new) goldfish in our (new-ish) pond and came in for an hour of polishing up the rough spots in the music before tomorrow's dress rehearsal. Then poured a nice glass of Chardonnay to enjoy while catching up with the forums.

Off to fix dinner (DH deserves a fresh cooked meal after my week away). Then I'll catch up on DVR'd TV and my prayer shawl knitting. A good day!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #9988
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flew 200 miles and stopped at 2 airports for my long cross country on my way to my pilots license. The wind was blowing, I was only covering 65mph ground speed on one leg, so instead of taking 2 hours as planed it ended up taking 2.8 hours.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:48 PM   #9989
Moderator Emeritus

Replaced the tenant's kitchen sink faucet. We've had this Delta model for a year and it's working great so far.
Amazon.com: Delta 468-SD-DST Cicero Single Handle Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet with Soap Dispenser, Chrome: Home Improvement
The entire faucet seems to be plumbed in PEX. It certainly made the swap go faster.

I checked last week's drywall repairs and noticed that they're darn near undetectable. Either the previous drywall contractor never painted the ceiling, or the new drywall repairs are a perfect match for the ceiling paint. As long as I don't have to paint, I guess I don't have to care.

Since the tenant is a retired military aviator, I put a couple signs in the attic on the ceiling drywall reading: "NO STEP".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
Flew 200 miles and stopped at 2 airports for my long cross country on my way to my pilots license. The wind was blowing, I was only covering 65mph ground speed on one leg, so instead of taking 2 hours as planed it ended up taking 2.8 hours.
Jimmy Buffett wrote once about flying his float plane above a highway and watching cars pass him...

Old 03-30-2012, 10:55 PM   #9990
Give me a forum ...

A friend of mine who used to be an Army pilot told of flying a small chopper in a high head wind, where he pulled the collective to his armpit and with the cyclic full-forward and could not really tell if his ground speed was positive.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #9991

Quote:
Great! If you're doing the long cross-country (without getting lost) you're close to getting the ticket.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #9992
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Jimmy Buffett wrote once about flying his float plane above a highway and watching cars pass him...
Margaritas will do that to ya...

I flew a Cessna 172 into a strong headwind, slowed to near stall speed with flaps down, and watched the plane move backwards across the ground below.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #9993
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Great! If you're doing the long cross-country (without getting lost) you're close to getting the ticket.
I was only lost for a little while. I ended up following a road to my first stop. The second stop had a VOR located at the airport so I followed that. On the last leg I was off my coarse some, but my home airport is close to the Mississippi River so I just kept the river in sight. No problem. I'll be glad when I can just use a GPS.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #9994
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was only lost for a little while. I ended up following a road to my first stop.
IFR
Quote:
The second stop had a VOR located at the airport so I followed that.
VOR
Quote:
On the last leg I was off my coarse some, but my home airport is close to the Mississippi River so I just kept the river in sight.
IFM
Quote:
I'll be glad when I can just use a GPS.
Who needs GPS when you've got all the other navigation acronyms nailed!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #9995
Give me a forum ...

At Costco today I found that they had removed all the self-check lanes, saying they were too costly to maintain. I loved those things. They were where all the introverts checked out.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:27 PM   #9996
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Last night I went directly from the airport to a chorus rehearsal - big concert with orchestra on Sunday (Durufle Requiem and Vaughan Williams Dona Nobis Pacem for any choral music geeks out there).

Good luck with your concert. I have performed the Durufle before. It is a beautiful piece. And difficult enough that one feels a real sense of accomplishment on mastering it.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 PM   #9997
Administrator

Today I went to the New England Air Museum with a friend from church, his 18 year old daughter and the 16 year old neighbor boy who regularly rakes leaves for me. We all really enjoyed it.

New England Air Museum

My personal favorite was the gleaming restored Sikorsky VS-44 flying boat. That was traveling in style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VS-44.jpg (55.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #9998

Yesterday I bought a new saddle for my bicycle, and have been pleasantly surprised at how the combination of a newly-oiled chain and new saddle have made cycling easier and more enjoyable.

A couple of weeks ago thanks to Al, I discovered the wonder of golden roasted flax seed from Trader Joe's as a snack food and source of omega 3 fatty acids and fiber. Am now snacking on them, along with dark chocolate and a couple of glasses of shiraz (Block Red boxed wine from TJ's).

Life is good

Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #9999
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Yesterday I bought a new saddle for my bicycle, and have been pleasantly surprised at how the combination of a newly-oiled chain and new saddle have made cycling easier and more enjoyable.

A couple of weeks ago thanks to Al, I discovered the wonder of golden roasted flax seed from Trader Joe's as a snack food and source of omega 3 fatty acids and fiber. Am now snacking on them, along with dark chocolate and a couple of glasses of shiraz (Block Red boxed wine from TJ's).

Life is good
Just fyi, from what I've read flax hulls are really difficult to digest, which cuts way down on the absorption of the omega 3s and other good stuff. They recommend ground flax seeds for omega 3s. Not to say you shouldn't be snacking on them, but I suspect you'll be getting all your omega 3s from the dark chocolate and the wine.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
IFR

VOR

IFM

Who needs GPS when you've got all the other navigation acronyms nailed!
I believe he might have given new meaning to the IFR TLA -- as in I fly rivers.
Closed Thread