what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a farewell lunch for our neighbors, who sold their house (on the market for three years), purchased an RV and will depart next Monday to live full time 'on the road'.

I though watching them sell, donate or trash almost everything in their house was interesting. DW though it was a tragedy. :)

As long as both spouses are on board with it, to me it sounds like an amazing adventure!

What is a tragedy is that it took them three years to sell their house. I can't imagine essentially living in a "showplace" for that long; it would drive me buggy. Also I agree with Hud3 completely - - it is so liberating to get rid of a lot of stuff. At some point, if I accumulate a lot of stuff it begins to own me, rather than the reverse.

Oh, and to get back on topic, what did I do today? Well, I just awakened but yesterday ate out, went to the gym, and then went for a long drive in our local area. That was fun. The excuse was that F. wanted to make sure his Murano would not have any further problems after the repairs. Besides, gas is a lot cheaper now than it was earlier this year. We were surprised to see no DWI checkpoints at all, anywhere, given that it was a holiday. Oh well. After coming home I played "Harvest Moon" on my Wii (a peaceful game in which one is a farmer, and mostly feeds the animals and waters the crops). Then I checked the real estate sites online to confirm that there is no other house available in the New Orleans metro area that I would like better than mine. Life is great.

Last edited:
What is a tragedy is that it took them three years to sell their house. I can't imagine essentially living in a "showplace" for that long;
Uh...they didn't, which is a key reason it took so darn long to sell the [-]unattractive[/-] place.

We were surprised to see no DWI checkpoints at all, anywhere, given that it was a holiday.
Thought the Supremes declared those illegal?

Uh...they didn't, which is a key reason it took so darn long to sell the [-]unattractive[/-] place.

OH.... :LOL: I never would have thought of that. I hated having my house on the market last year for a few months, because of the showplace aspects. I wasn't even cooking at home, and everything sparkled at all times and nothing was ever out of place. It was like living in somebody else's home. It never occurred to me to just let it go like that. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

REWahoo said:
Thought the Supremes declared those illegal?

Aha! That explains it. I had no idea.

Last edited:
Still have 'em all over around here. Less for snagging drunks and more for finding unlicensed drivers. Money makers for cities impounding all the cars.

A little research shows laws on 'sobriety checkpoints' vary by state. Guess It was the state supreme court I was thinking of as they aren't legal here.

So, have fun on the RV trip you are planning for later this year, but don't have TOO much fun. :D (I know you wouldn't anyway but couldn't resist the dig). We have them all the time here too, on holidays anyway, which was why we were surprised to see none yesterday.

I woke up to a nice sunny day. Mr B and I hustled to get the 2nd window AC unit installed in 88F temperature with very high humidity.
Just in time...some pretty strong winds picked up and intense thunderstorm cells popped up all over central NY. My bigger dog is freaking out as usual. :(
I have a trip to the beach at Lake Ontario planned for tomorrow, so I am doing laundry and packing up sunscreen, my bathing suit, and kites. Mr B could care less about the beach [-]"It's just wahtah"[/-] so he will be a bachelor for 2 days.
My friends own jetskis, so maybe just maybe I may try one out close to shore. :D
I'm bringing them 2 cherry tomato plants as a present for having me visit.

Last edited:
Went to HomeDepot and bought replacement dishwasher. Won't be delivered until next week.

Went to aerobics class, came home and showered, threw in a load of laundry, ate lunch and went to the dental school, where they finished my screening, took impressions, took pictures and came up with a treatment plan, which is going to cost over $4000.00. I could understand if I was the type of person who only went to the dentist every 5 years or so, but we always go every 6 months for cleaning and anything else that was needed. Two of the root canals that I had done previously, need to be redone, as they were not done properly according to the dental school. I am not too happy with some of my previous dentists at this time. Went to the grocery store, fixed dinner, skyped with DD and her family, read some in a book and surfing the net now.

Dreamer said:
Went to aerobics class, came home and showered, threw in a load of laundry, ate lunch and went to the dental school, where they finished my screening, took impressions, took pictures and came up with a treatment plan, which is going to cost over $4000.00. I could understand if I was the type of person who only went to the dentist every 5 years or so, but we always go every 6 months for cleaning and anything else that was needed. Two of the root canals that I had done previously, need to be redone, as they were not done properly according to the dental school. I am not too happy with some of my previous dentists at this time. Went to the grocery store, fixed dinner, skyped with DD and her family, read some in a book and surfing the net now.

Maybe you should get a second opinion re the redoing of the root canals.

Watched our roofers power-washing our front lanai roof (a BRAI torch-on roof) to get it ready for some sort of fabric reinforcement and a thick coat of silicon goop.

Picked a five-gallon bucket of lychee. It's probably the equivalent of two gallons of fructose.

Two of our neighbors are moving out, so we've been helping them get rid of their excess possessions too.

I thought watching them sell, donate or trash almost everything in their house was interesting. DW thought it was a tragedy. :)
So, how much free stuff did you get?

A little research shows laws on 'sobriety checkpoints' vary by state. Guess It was the state supreme court I was thinking of as they aren't legal here.
Yeah, I can understand the state troopers being reluctant to stop inebriated open-carry gun-owners in high-powered SUVs.

Maybe you should get a second opinion re the redoing of the root canals.

+1

I have been a recipient of a very international dental care ( dentist in Himalayas anyone? :D plus US, UK, France & Poland) and the standards and procedures vary.
For example in UK & Poland (at least a while ago), root canal would not be done in one sitting, they would kill the nerve over few weeks period and than remove it. Also, the root canal tooth would not always get a crown (almost 100% in US).
US dentists for 15 years now were pointing that I need to have one of my root canals re-done, to which I tell them that it lasted 25 years so far and if it starts to bother me I'll have it extracted (it's one of the molars)

Do these teeth bother you?
Did the dentist detected infection inside the tooth?

sailor,
who is definitely not a dentist

Packing boxes in preparation for our move. New neighbors will think we are alcoholics and like bananas based on the cardboard boxes we have scrounged. Heading to the beach for dinner and drinks with friends later this pm.

My dentist recommended fixing a cracked something or other 13 years ago, but I said I'd wait. I've had no problems.

Watched it rain, watched tv and the phone. A little while ago, I think I swallowed a bug.

My dentist recommended fixing a cracked something or other 13 years ago, but I said I'd wait. I've had no problems.

My teeth and I have a deal - they don't bother me and I don't bother them (but I do have routine checkups and cleanings). Has worked well so far.

A little while ago, I think I swallowed a bug.
You would think you'd notice something like that.

The best remedy for that situation is to sterilize your digestive system with sanitizing ethanol. At least until you don't feel anything trying to crawl back up your esophagus...

You wouldn't believe it.
No photos, please!

+1

I have been a recipient of a very international dental care ( dentist in Himalayas anyone? :D plus US, UK, France & Poland) and the standards and procedures vary.
For example in UK & Poland (at least a while ago), root canal would not be done in one sitting, they would kill the nerve over few weeks period and than remove it. Also, the root canal tooth would not always get a crown (almost 100% in US).
US dentists for 15 years now were pointing that I need to have one of my root canals re-done, to which I tell them that it lasted 25 years so far and if it starts to bother me I'll have it extracted (it's one of the molars)

Do these teeth bother you?
Did the dentist detected infection inside the tooth?

sailor,
who is definitely not a dentist

No, none of my teeth bother me at all. When my DH stopped working, we went did not elect to keep the dental insurance. I decided to switch to our dental school because of cheaper rates, supposedly. They also told me that I have periodontitis and need to have 2 lower teeth extracted and a permanent bridge. Again, I go to the dentist every 6 months and no other dentist has ever suggested that I need to have a deep cleaning done, which is another thing they are wanting to do.

As far as a second opinion, how do you know who to believe? It does make you wonder how so much could be so wrong. I do know that I do not want to ever have to wear false teeth. I remember relatives having them and I want no part of that.

DH went to the dental school and he said that his amount would be around $30,000. He told them that he did not think that he had $30,000 worth of life left in him and they had better come up with a new plan. They have already started doing his deep cleanings, but we don't know what the new plan will be. I asked him what they wanted to do to him for $30000 and he said they mentioned implants, but he really did not know what all they were planning. None of his teeth bother him either and he also goes to the dentist every 6 months.

I really don't know what to do.

Boarding a red eye from Vegas to Texas. Headed for a family reunion in the hill country.

A thread on boomers moving to walkable urban neighborhoods prompted me to post yesterday's activity. Last night DW and I went to a good play at a black box theater in an adjoining neighborhood about a mile and a half from where we live. That area used to be downright scary but is now a trendy, young restaurant, bar, and theater scene if still a bit edgy. We grabbed bike shares a block from our house and dropped them off at a bike station a block from the theater. Great show, fun evening.

This morning I awakened to sensationally beautiful morning birdsongs from my new alarm set-up, which will play them for me instead of the usual BLATTTTT!!! of an alarm clock.

At last, awakening at a pre-arranged time but in a joyful, peaceful, gradual way and without having to scrape myself off the ceiling, so to speak. I'm lucky my previous alarm didn't give me a cardiac arrest or something. :LOL:

How delightful to lie there for about 5 minutes, enjoying it while gradually awakening, before turning it off and getting up. I was able to pre-set the volume to exactly what I wanted. What a great luxury for a light sleeper like me. I should have thought of this years ago. Come to think of it, perhaps a loud and strident alarm was necessary while working, in order to drag me out of bed for work. Joyful birdsongs are wonderful for me now, though.

Funny how little things like this can make such a difference. Now, to figure out what to do with my old alarm clock. Surely I need another clock somewhere... hmmm.

Last edited:
The past few weeks have been torture.

Today I've been able to exhale.

A little over a month ago, DH had his PSA test. The result was not good as it had nearly doubled (4.3) since his last test in October of last year (2.3). He was immediately put on antibiotics for three weeks, then a week later (May 24th) had his PSA tested again. The increase would have been caused by either inflammation/infection or he still had cancer/cancer had spread. We were afraid the radiation therapy had failed.

Today I finally got the test result....2.2.

It feels so damn good to exhale. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom