Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #10421
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
what did you do today?
I'd don't know, but it took me all day to do it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #10422
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I'd don't know, but it took me all day to do it.
Not doing anything is not the same as not having anything to do.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 05-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #10423
Dryer sheet wannabe

Haven't been bored yet! Just passed the 11 year mark...
Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 AM   #10424
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Had a farewell lunch for our neighbors, who sold their house (on the market for three years), purchased an RV and will depart next Monday to live full time 'on the road'.

I thought watching them sell, donate or trash almost everything in their house was interesting. DW thought it was a tragedy.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #10425
Dryer sheet wannabe

When we sold our home in Virginia to move to Nevis we gave away 1/3 of our stuff to friends and relatives, 1/3 to charities, and brought the rest with us to furnish a much smaller home here.

For me, it was absolutely liberating to get rid of all that stuff we'd accumulated over the decades.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #10426
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Had a farewell lunch for our neighbors, who sold their house (on the market for three years), purchased an RV and will depart next Monday to live full time 'on the road'.

I though watching them sell, donate or trash almost everything in their house was interesting. DW though it was a tragedy.
As long as both spouses are on board with it, to me it sounds like an amazing adventure!

What is a tragedy is that it took them three years to sell their house. I can't imagine essentially living in a "showplace" for that long; it would drive me buggy. Also I agree with Hud3 completely - - it is so liberating to get rid of a lot of stuff. At some point, if I accumulate a lot of stuff it begins to own me, rather than the reverse.

Oh, and to get back on topic, what did I do today? Well, I just awakened but yesterday ate out, went to the gym, and then went for a long drive in our local area. That was fun. The excuse was that F. wanted to make sure his Murano would not have any further problems after the repairs. Besides, gas is a lot cheaper now than it was earlier this year. We were surprised to see no DWI checkpoints at all, anywhere, given that it was a holiday. Oh well. After coming home I played "Harvest Moon" on my Wii (a peaceful game in which one is a farmer, and mostly feeds the animals and waters the crops). Then I checked the real estate sites online to confirm that there is no other house available in the New Orleans metro area that I would like better than mine. Life is great.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #10427

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What is a tragedy is that it took them three years to sell their house. I can't imagine essentially living in a "showplace" for that long;
Uh...they didn't, which is a key reason it took so darn long to sell the unattractive place.

Quote:
We were surprised to see no DWI checkpoints at all, anywhere, given that it was a holiday.
Thought the Supremes declared those illegal?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #10428
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Uh...they didn't, which is a key reason it took so darn long to sell the unattractive place.
OH.... I never would have thought of that. I hated having my house on the market last year for a few months, because of the showplace aspects. I wasn't even cooking at home, and everything sparkled at all times and nothing was ever out of place. It was like living in somebody else's home. It never occurred to me to just let it go like that. Oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Thought the Supremes declared those illegal?
Aha! That explains it. I had no idea.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #10429
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Still have 'em all over around here. Less for snagging drunks and more for finding unlicensed drivers. Money makers for cities impounding all the cars.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #10430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin View Post
Still have 'em all over around here. Less for snagging drunks and more for finding unlicensed drivers. Money makers for cities impounding all the cars.
A little research shows laws on 'sobriety checkpoints' vary by state. Guess It was the state supreme court I was thinking of as they aren't legal here.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #10431
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A little research shows laws on 'sobriety checkpoints' vary by state. Guess It was the state supreme court I was thinking of as they aren't legal here.
So, have fun on the RV trip you are planning for later this year, but don't have TOO much fun. (I know you wouldn't anyway but couldn't resist the dig). We have them all the time here too, on holidays anyway, which was why we were surprised to see none yesterday.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #10432
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to a nice sunny day. Mr B and I hustled to get the 2nd window AC unit installed in 88F temperature with very high humidity.
Just in time...some pretty strong winds picked up and intense thunderstorm cells popped up all over central NY. My bigger dog is freaking out as usual.
I have a trip to the beach at Lake Ontario planned for tomorrow, so I am doing laundry and packing up sunscreen, my bathing suit, and kites. Mr B could care less about the beach "It's just wahtah" so he will be a bachelor for 2 days.
My friends own jetskis, so maybe just maybe I may try one out close to shore.
I'm bringing them 2 cherry tomato plants as a present for having me visit.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #10433
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Went to HomeDepot and bought replacement dishwasher. Won't be delivered until next week.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:25 PM   #10434

Went to aerobics class, came home and showered, threw in a load of laundry, ate lunch and went to the dental school, where they finished my screening, took impressions, took pictures and came up with a treatment plan, which is going to cost over $4000.00. I could understand if I was the type of person who only went to the dentist every 5 years or so, but we always go every 6 months for cleaning and anything else that was needed. Two of the root canals that I had done previously, need to be redone, as they were not done properly according to the dental school. I am not too happy with some of my previous dentists at this time. Went to the grocery store, fixed dinner, skyped with DD and her family, read some in a book and surfing the net now.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #10435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
Went to aerobics class, came home and showered, threw in a load of laundry, ate lunch and went to the dental school, where they finished my screening, took impressions, took pictures and came up with a treatment plan, which is going to cost over $4000.00. I could understand if I was the type of person who only went to the dentist every 5 years or so, but we always go every 6 months for cleaning and anything else that was needed. Two of the root canals that I had done previously, need to be redone, as they were not done properly according to the dental school. I am not too happy with some of my previous dentists at this time. Went to the grocery store, fixed dinner, skyped with DD and her family, read some in a book and surfing the net now.
Maybe you should get a second opinion re the redoing of the root canals.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #10436
Moderator Emeritus

Watched our roofers power-washing our front lanai roof (a BRAI torch-on roof) to get it ready for some sort of fabric reinforcement and a thick coat of silicon goop.

Picked a five-gallon bucket of lychee. It's probably the equivalent of two gallons of fructose.

Two of our neighbors are moving out, so we've been helping them get rid of their excess possessions too.

Quote:
I thought watching them sell, donate or trash almost everything in their house was interesting. DW thought it was a tragedy.
So, how much free stuff did you get?

Quote:
Yeah, I can understand the state troopers being reluctant to stop inebriated open-carry gun-owners in high-powered SUVs.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #10437
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Maybe you should get a second opinion re the redoing of the root canals.
+1

I have been a recipient of a very international dental care ( dentist in Himalayas anyone? plus US, UK, France & Poland) and the standards and procedures vary.
For example in UK & Poland (at least a while ago), root canal would not be done in one sitting, they would kill the nerve over few weeks period and than remove it. Also, the root canal tooth would not always get a crown (almost 100% in US).
US dentists for 15 years now were pointing that I need to have one of my root canals re-done, to which I tell them that it lasted 25 years so far and if it starts to bother me I'll have it extracted (it's one of the molars)

Do these teeth bother you?
Did the dentist detected infection inside the tooth?

sailor,
who is definitely not a dentist
Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #10438

Packing boxes in preparation for our move. New neighbors will think we are alcoholics and like bananas based on the cardboard boxes we have scrounged. Heading to the beach for dinner and drinks with friends later this pm.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #10439
Give me a forum ...

My dentist recommended fixing a cracked something or other 13 years ago, but I said I'd wait. I've had no problems.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #10440
Give me a forum ...

Watched it rain, watched tv and the phone. A little while ago, I think I swallowed a bug.