what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally recovering after the virus from hell.

I nearly all day yesterday sleeping, overdosing on various medications, or eating. I get flu shots every year, and last fall was no exception, but this virus hit me hard. It wasn't just the coughing or the congestion or the splitting headaches or the fever-- it was having your entire body ache and not being able to pass a field sobriety test.

We also took some money off the table today-- really the first time we've replenished the cash stash since last fall's familyroom remodel. It wasn't a particularly good or bad day to sell, but it made spouse's spidey sense stop tingling for the rest of the year.

I must have that virus from hell too:sick: I finally went to the doctor when it traveled down into my bronchial tubes yesterday...plan to rest today. This is good, because it is supposed to be really hot this afternoon. Whatever flu shot I received last fall didn't work for this one.

I finally went to the doctor when it traveled down into my bronchial tubes yesterday...plan to rest today.
I always go back & forth on that one. I spend all day Fridays telling myself how stupid I'll feel on Saturday afternoon if I need to go to Tripler's ER because I didn't make a doctor's appointment.

But I felt good enough last night to stop the decongestants, and today I might even wean myself off the Delsym. I don't feel bronchial yet, but I can sure tell when the pneumonia starts to affect my lung capacity. That always gets a quick doctor's appointment...

I dimly remember having a virus or two like this since I've been retired, but my clearest memories of feeling this crappy are all from my working days. I may be subject to recency bias, but I think this is the sickest I've been in a decade.

I wonder what it is that is going around. I know that there has been a "whooping cough" outbreak in Washington. I typically try to tough it out with teas, rest, etc. But, my cue for seeing a doc is lung congestion or a persistent sinus headache.

I hope you recover soon, Nords....:flowers:

Glad to hear you aren't driving while on muscle relaxers. Don't even consider it. If my ex's response to them (years ago) was any indication, they are so strong that even walking can be dangerous while on them! Be careful and I hope your back feels better soon.
Thanks. :)
I did not touch a steering wheel at all. No way, no how. :nonono:
I watched some movies I had recorded on the DVR and did some light container gardening w*rk. I stayed away from the stairs. It was tough to limit my activities but I was a good girl. :angel:
The muscle is 90% recovered. :dance: I did constant ROM exercises and scapular stretches as instructed by the doctor.
I continue to take 1 Ibuprofen a day, but only as needed. No more buzzy pills. Those were wild! :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
Saw my first 3D film yesterday. An interesting experience, I thought it didn't add that much to the movie, so until the technology moves forward I won't repeat. The film was Promethius by Ridley Scott. Quite enjoyable.

It's a beautiful sunny day in the high 70s here in CT. The young wife and I broke out the roadster and drove over to Mystic, where we browsed the shops and ate a wonderful lunch at the restaurant overlooking the bascule bridge in the center of town.

Attachments

• mystic bridge.jpg
    mystic bridge.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 143
I just finished proofreading a short humor booklet written by a friend and sent him the copy edits. He's trying to figure out whether to subject himself to a publisher's search or to just sell it on his own blog.

It's golf-related humor, and it's good, but I have no idea whether a publisher would go for it. However I suspect it'd do just fine on his blog.

Today is the official one-year anniversary of the publishing of "The Military Guide". Much to my surprise, Amazon.com's Author Central reported that last week it logged eight sales of the book. This is the most it's ever seen in one week. It might be due to my mentioning it on SailorBob.com (a discussion board for Navy surface warfare officers) or it might be due to something totally unrelated to anything I know of. It'll be interesting to see if this is a new trend.

... where we browsed the shops and ate a wonderful lunch at the restaurant overlooking the bascule bridge in the center of town.
I swear that for the rest of my life I won't be able to gaze upon a drawbridge without reflexively checking my watch to see how much time I have before liberty expires...

I swear that for the rest of my life I won't be able to gaze upon a drawbridge without reflexively checking my watch to see how much time I have before liberty expires...

I also check my watch when the bridge goes up. Which reminds me that you and I are probably among the last people who actually wear a wristwatch to check. None of the young people in my office have one; they all use their phone if they need to know the time.

I wear a watch every day and cross several bascule bridges every day. When DH was taking the sailboat down the ICW to Florida many years ago, he was fairly novice at requesting bridge openings. At each, he would dutifully call the bridge operator but since they were marked in the charts as bascule bridges, he thought that was the name. It wasn't until his 5th or 6th one that they finally explained that the bridge was not named "bascule".

I finished staining my fence this morning. It looks fabulous! :dance:

Went thru 6 gallons of stain, 3 three inch roller pads, 1 three inch brush and 1 half inch brush. I stained 928 fence boards (both sides) and 348 feet of support beams.

I told a snake to scoot over, was bitten by bugs, scratched by bushes, have ouchies from lava rock but somehow never broke a nail. :D

Time for a shower, then a plate of BACON, gravy and biscuits. Then I'll fall into bed for a nice snooze.

bbbami's day sounds like mine. Ran 4 miles, then bought some woodworking supplies while DW finished grocery shopping, My old John Deere riding mower finally bit the dust, so I cut the grass with my push mower. Then I sprayed 3 coats of spar varnish on the chaise lounge I'm building. Decided to take a boat ride with DW. The boat ran out of gas about a half mile from home, so I jumped overboard and pushed it home while DW steered. Now I'm ready for a nap.

Woke up kinda early for a Sunday. Made some pancakes. Spent a few hours at the beach with DW:

7391495080_1fed7a04c2_c.jpg

Came back home just as the fog was rolling into the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Woke up kinda early for a Sunday. Made some pancakes. Spent a few hours at the beach with DW:

Beautiful. Sounds like the perfect morning!

Yesterday was a mid-size family gathering at FIL's house, lots of hot dogs, hamburgers, grilled chicken and side dishes.

Toys for the kids to play with. A good time.

DW's nephew showed up with the van's right outside mirror held on with a clamp. He caught it on a hose at the car wash and it took the mirror off.

Therefore a new phrase has entered the family vocabulary. To "Grandad the car" means hit an immovable object with the outside right side mirror and rip it off the car, as his Grandad has done three times.

Attachments

• Granddading_the_car.jpg
    Granddading_the_car.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2
DH is having surgery to repair his rotator cuff, so I'm sitting in the surgery waiting room. Expected to take about two hours so will get in some reading.

DW's nephew showed up with the van's right outside mirror held on with a clamp. He caught it on a hose at the car wash and it took the mirror off.
I've never heard of such a thing....:angel:

DH is having surgery to repair his rotator cuff, so I'm sitting in the surgery waiting room. Expected to take about two hours so will get in some reading.
Hope all goes well.....:flowers:

Nice. I can see getting used to something like that...

Eight days after I first started coughing, it appears that I'm gonna survive whatever virus this was.

For a couple days last week I was sleeping more than I was awake. I've been medication-free for 72 hours and I'm starting to regain an interest in food. In the next week or few I might even stop coughing, too. Maybe tomorrow I'll try working out.

I've been getting annual flu shots for over three decades. It's been a very very long time since I've been sick enough to have fevers, chills, and an entire aching body. In fact I can't even remember the last time I took aspirin (not ibuprofen or acetaminophen but plain ol' acetylsalicylic acid) to make the pain stop. Along with decongestants & antihistamines and cough suppressants as well.

So instead of the flu, maybe this was actually dengue fever or malaria or Ebola...

Nothing much - over-exercised yesterday as was trying to shed off weight gained after a family trip. Woke up with tired muscles and I knew I had to give them a rest. Will take an evening walk by the sea later.

DH returned home yesterday safe and sound from a three week 'epic journey' on his motorcycle. He logged 5,638 miles traveling through TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, NV and UT. On his journey he stayed with friends and family and on occasion camped in his tent.

I haven't seen all the pics he's taken yet, but so far this is one of my favorites...it looks like his bike is getting ready to beamed up. :D

Attachments

• DSC03555.jpg
    DSC03555.jpg
    924.8 KB · Views: 13
I RE'd in December 2011. With summer here, I find myself falling into a routine of doing chores and projects around the house in the mornings and kicking back and relaxing and reading (and surfing the web) in the shade in the afternoons.

Pressure washed a year's grime off my sailboat (O'Day 17) in the morning and went to pickup sister's boat at the shop later in the morning. Too hot and muggy this afternoon to do much. Kicking back.

Highs in the 50s for the next few days and I am wearing a wool sweater. Summer started yesterday, right?:LOL:

Waiting for the repair guy (the garbage disposal is not working). After that, the plan is to go walk around downtown. I need to find some important resources like a decent hardware store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom