Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #10581
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
... A few days later he enjoyed the view of Crater Lake...
... while you were staining how many feet of wood fences now?

PS. Oh forget it! One of these days, I might have to go on an RV trip by myself, and people might feel sorry for my wife, not knowing that it is her choice to stay home.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #10582
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
... while you were staining how many feet of wood fences now?

PS. Oh forget it! Once of these days, I might have to go on an RV trip by myself, and people might feel sorry for my wife, not knowing that it is her choice to stay home.
......there ya go.

There's no way I'd enjoy a 5k+ ride on the back of a motorcycle. So I told him to have fun as I waved goodbye.

The staining job was my idea. I wanted a project while he was gone...I should have picked another project.

Maybe wine-tasting next time...
Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #10583
Give me a forum ...

I worked my last day.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #10584
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I worked my last day.
Oh happy day!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #10585
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I worked my last day.
Congratulations !!

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #10586
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I worked my last day.
Congratulations!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #10587
Moderator Emeritus

Today was one of those "more perfect" surfing days where the waves died down long enough to paddle out, and then rose back up to six feet just in time to turn around and surf in. For over two hours.

You know you're doing it right when your butt is sore from all the squatting & carving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I haven't seen all the pics he's taken yet, but so far this is one of my favorites...it looks like his bike is getting ready to beamed up.
Hot chrome-- ouch!

Those photos will make a nice coffee table album.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #10588
Administrator

I saw a baby bird take its first flight yesterday. Right on the sill outside the office window (2nd floor), apparently there's a nest. The baby got to the ledge, walked back and forth for about 10 minutes, flapping its wings every so often. Then it just turned around and jumped off ... and flew.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:06 AM   #10589
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We got a call from my 86 year old Dad. He got a check in the mail for $3500. It was made out to him and it said he should deposit it in his bank account and then mail back $1400 and then he would receive $140,000 that he won. He has slowed down a lot in the last year, isn't as sharp as he used to be but he knew right away that this was a scam.

I'm very proud of him! He knows you don't get something for nothing. I asked him if the letter said where they got his name and address from and he said the letter mentioned his Costco membership. He had a Costco membership many years ago, when Costco first opened in his area, but not anytime recently.

I hope he saved the letter, I'd like to see it. It's scary how the elderly get targeted.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #10590
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I saw a baby bird take its first flight yesterday. Right on the sill outside the office window (2nd floor), apparently there's a nest. The baby got to the ledge, walked back and forth for about 10 minutes, flapping its wings every so often. Then it just turned around and jumped off ... and flew.
That is beautiful - - thanks. It reminds me of that heady feeling of terror (and glee) when leaving the building on the last day of w*rk, jumping into the immensity of unlimited possibilities and freedom.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #10591
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That is beautiful - - thanks. It reminds me of that heady feeling of terror (and glee) when leaving the building on the last day of w*rk, jumping into the immensity of unlimited possibilities and freedom.
Very good analogy...
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #10592
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
We got a call from my 86 year old Dad. He got a check in the mail for $3500. It was made out to him and it said he should deposit it in his bank account and then mail back $1400 and then he would receive $140,000 that he won. He has slowed down a lot in the last year, isn't as sharp as he used to be but he knew right away that this was a scam.

I'm very proud of him! He knows you don't get something for nothing. I asked him if the letter said where they got his name and address from and he said the letter mentioned his Costco membership. He had a Costco membership many years ago, when Costco first opened in his area, but not anytime recently.

I hope he saved the letter, I'd like to see it. It's scary how the elderly get targeted.
If you find the letter, I hope you will send it to the attorney general's office in your state. It may be just what they need to crack down on these people.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #10593
Moderator Emeritus

Spent most of the morning troubleshooting in the vicinity of energized gear-- our tenant's microwave oven.

I think I have it narrowed down to the control board (probably a bad relay). Voltage goes into the control board, but not very much of it comes out... not enough to run a transformer or a capacitor, let alone a magnetron. It's a $60 part with shipping, but it's taken a lot more time than money to narrow the problem down to this point. You don't find the "live gear" troubleshooting procedures on the manufacturer's website, either. You have to consult those experienced techs at the FixItNow.com forum.

I now know far more about microwave ovens than I really wanted to know. I can probably also draw the block diagram, major components, and protective circuitry from memory...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-23-2012, 03:57 AM   #10594

I did have some outside things to do yesterday but threatening thunderstorm clouds prevented me from starting anything. That's as good an excuse as any for procrastination.

Sitting on the back porch with DW I saw the far-off landing lights of a C5 on its way in to the nearby WVANG base. Ran inside, grabbed the camera which fortunately had the telephoto lens on it and got some shots of it against a sky that only lasted a few moments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C5-3June_22,_2012.jpg (35.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg C5-15June_22,_2012.jpg (45.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg C5-29June_22,_2012.jpg (59.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #10595
Administrator

Celebrated DD birthday yesterday. They spent thursday night with us after we took the kids and they stayed out late. Friday breakfast out at the local deli. Three egg Denver omelet, hash browns, side of sausage, toast & butter, large oj. Then we went home, passed out. Opened presents, got our second wind, and went out to late lunch at Stir Crazy.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #10596
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If you find the letter, I hope you will send it to the attorney general's office in your state. It may be just what they need to crack down on these people.
Actually now that I think of it since he received it in the mail could they fashion it as a federal mail fraud charge? That would be nice.

The perps are probably from outside the US though.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #10597
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I now know far more about microwave ovens than I really wanted to know. I can probably also draw the block diagram, major components, and protective circuitry from memory...
It sounds like you've earned that sig on your qual card!

We got 20 years out of our first microwave. When I popped the dead beast open, I pretty quickly decided that perhaps we should just spring for a new one (lasted 12 years so far...). Twenty years of grease and humidity did a number on that thing.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:08 PM   #10598
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
It sounds like you've earned that sig on your qual card!
We got 20 years out of our first microwave. When I popped the dead beast open, I pretty quickly decided that perhaps we should just spring for a new one (lasted 12 years so far...). Twenty years of grease and humidity did a number on that thing.
I was about to turn it into a spare parts locker, but the additional tips from the FixItNow guys gave me the courage to start waving multimeter probes around near magnetrons and capacitors and transformers.

I was starting to take it personally, too. I hate getting outwitted by inanimate electronics...

Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #10599
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I worked my last day.

Welcome to the rest of your life.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #10600
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Spent most of the morning troubleshooting in the vicinity of energized gear-- our tenant's microwave oven.

I think I have it narrowed down to the control board (probably a bad relay). Voltage goes into the control board, but not very much of it comes out... not enough to run a transformer or a capacitor, let alone a magnetron. It's a $60 part with shipping, but it's taken a lot more time than money to narrow the problem down to this point. You don't find the "live gear" troubleshooting procedures on the manufacturer's website, either. You have to consult those experienced techs at the FixItNow.com forum.

My solution would be a Goodwill unit for $35 or so. And, I am used to working around high voltage with unlimited current, for practical purposes (around 1500 to 2000 Amps). The breakers will re-close 3 times before locking out. Smilies