Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #10621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Today I ended up here after searching (again) the Google to try and determine whatever happened to Jen Smith, a.k.a. Millionaire Mommy Next Door. Imagine my surprise when I found her to have visited here before. It makes me feel better about some of my prior threads HAR!

So basically I ended up reading pages and pages of E-R.org threads. So productive...
Where else can you get so much for your entertainment dollar?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #10622
Moderator Emeritus

Spent most of the morning moderating the PPACA thread . Walked to the farmers market and got some very ripe peaches. Made some delicious apple-peach sauce. Going to a SF Giants game this evening.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #10623
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Made some spinach dip with garlic. Don't get too close... Paaahhh
Old 06-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #10624
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
Today I ended up here after searching (again) the Google to try and determine whatever happened to Jen Smith, a.k.a. Millionaire Mommy Next Door. Imagine my surprise when I found her to have visited here before. It makes me feel better about some of my prior threads HAR!
Good question-- her blog went dark a while ago and she just dropped off the radar. Let us know if you read anything!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #10625
Moderator Emeritus

Dang, you made me look at some of her posts. I wonder if she's still a millionnaire.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #10626
Moderator Emeritus

Today we weedwhacked the rental property grass and dug out some more raphis roots. Of course I cracked a sprinkler head (or the raphis pre-cracked it for me) so I had to fix that too.

The last cubic foot of raphis roots is wrapped around a gutter downspout, an underground drainage line, a sprinkler (of course), and the cable TV connection. The roots go six inches deep against the house's foundation. It's going to take me an hour with a reciprocating saw, hammer & chisel, and a mattock. When I pulled out the other blocks of roots, they looked like a leftover from a Borg Cube.

Once the roots are out then we have to install molding or trim boards over the chewed-up lower edge of the house's siding. The raphis shoots were going up behind the siding into the stud cavities and slowly pushing the siding off the studs. Some of them were 2-3 feet long, and I swear they weren't there six weeks ago.

Whaddya do all day indeed.

Costco pizza for dinner tonight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Dang, you made me look at some of her posts. I wonder if she's still a millionnaire.
She doesn't appear to be a "coach" any more, either. Best disappearing act ever...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #10627
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The search for MMND made me curious so add me to the list of those who want to know what happened to her. Couldn't find any clues myself so if anyone finds a trail please share.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #10628
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
The search for MMND made me curious so add me to the list of those who want to know what happened to her. Couldn't find any clues myself so if anyone finds a trail please share.
I found her on LinkedIn here: Jen Smith | LinkedIn

I used to periodically read her blog, and am mildly curious as well.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #10629
Full time employment: Posting here.

This has been a way busy summer so far. Doing ceiling and floors in about half the house and some in my cousins house. Thought retirement was supposed to be restful. LOL Also have a new puppy that is requiring much training. Black Lab St Bernard cross. Energy of the lab and the strength of the Saint but without the Saints tendency to be lazy. What have I got into. This is my cousins fault with the "but look how cute he is". LOL Neither her or her daughter have the heart to discipline the pup. Oh well.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #10630
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
I found her on LinkedIn here: Jen Smith | LinkedIn
I didn't realize until recently that you can go years without updating a Linkedin profile. I guess it's probably that way for Facebook and Twitter, too, but Linkedin probably prefers having millions of inactive accounts.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #10631
Give me a forum ...

She is so fortunate to have you as a cousin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
This has been a way busy summer so far. Doing ceiling and floors in about half the house and some in my cousins house. Thought retirement was supposed to be restful. LOL Also have a new puppy that is requiring much training. Black Lab St Bernard cross. Energy of the lab and the strength of the Saint but without the Saints tendency to be lazy. What have I got into. This is my cousins fault with the "but look how cute he is". LOL Neither her or her daughter have the heart to discipline the pup. Oh well.
Oh...now you MUST post a pic!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #10632
Give me a forum ...

It was one hot sob today. Played golf early and got through around 10:30am. Spent the rest of the day replenishing my fluids. Burp....
Old 06-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #10633
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I went to an event today for a buddy of mine who told his girlfriend a few weeks ago all he wanted for his birthday was to go skydiving. She signed him up and this morning a group of us went out to witness the event. All went well until...you guessed it...the landing. Charlie injured his right ankle on impact.

After checking him out, the skydive staff insisted he go to the emergency room to have it looked at. We helped him to his truck but he insisted we all join him in a glass of champagne before he would agree to go to the ER. The picture below is Charlie as we toasted to the eventful start of his 86th year.

The ankle is broken in two places...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0497.jpg (495.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #10634
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
It was one hot sob today. Played golf early and got through around 10:30am. Spent the rest of the day replenishing my fluids. Burp....
Same here. Played with BIL and two friends of his. BIL and I walked the front nine. Since our tee time was 7:40 am I though it would be cool enough to walk the front since it was early. Wrong!! I was sweating like a stuffed porky by the third hole, but toughed it out and then we rode the back nine. If you got done at 10:30am what time did you start? We got done about 11:45 am.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #10635
Moderator Emeritus

Dawn patrol. It gets pretty busy on a Saturday morning, though, with the beachmasters setting up their awnings & BBQs and the fleet of stand-up paddlers heading out to the outside break. I counted over a hundred people in the surf but everybody got along fine.

Pizza for lunch, a lovely nap, some computer work, and 30 minutes of assembling the new Toro weedwhacker. Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the back slope (inside the fence) and on another day I'm going to go after the California grass outside the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I went to an event today for a buddy of mine who told his girlfriend a few weeks ago all he wanted for his birthday was to go skydiving. She signed him up and this morning a group of us went out to witness the event. All went well until...you guessed it...the landing. Charlie injured his right ankle on impact.
After checking him out, the skydive staff insisted he go to the emergency room to have it looked at. We helped him to his truck but he insisted we all join him in a glass of champagne before he would agree to go to the ER. The picture below is Charlie as we toasted to the eventful start of his 86th year.
The ankle is broken in two places...
All I can say is that on my 86th birthday, I hope I can tell my girlfriend that I went skydiving and broke my ankle in two places.

Of course I probably should let my spouse know, too...

Old 07-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #10636

The thunderstorms that ripped through the DC area Friday night also hit us pretty good although we got off lightly compared to some. We still have electricity (and A/C!) while thousands don't. Cable for TV is out although that didn't quit until last night so probably due to in-progress repairs.

The wind blew out four screens on the back porch and tore off a bit of covering off the fascia on the front of the house. Again, we got off lightly.

Changed the oil on the motorcycle and cleaned up the back porch some and will see about replacement screens on Monday since I figure Lowes will be swamped over the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg House_damage-3June_30,_2012.jpg (112.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg House_damage-5June_30,_2012.jpg (121.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 AM   #10637
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Same here. Played with BIL and two friends of his. BIL and I walked the front nine. Since our tee time was 7:40 am I though it would be cool enough to walk the front since it was early. Wrong!! I was sweating like a stuffed porky by the third hole, but toughed it out and then we rode the back nine. If you got done at 10:30am what time did you start? We got done about 11:45 am.
We started at 8:00am. Normally we play in foursomes but the club pro only allowed twosomes as a mini-tour event was teeing off at 9am. We play fast anyway and used carts the whole way. I played in the pro-am the day before BTW and that was a lot of fun. The pro I played with was 60 years old and he finished 16th in the Senior British Open in 2008. Needless to say I was nervous the first hole or two, but settled down and played pretty good overall. He could hit it a mile.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #10638
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The thunderstorms that ripped through the DC area Friday night also hit us pretty good although we got off lightly compared to some. We still have electricity (and A/C!) while thousands don't. Cable for TV is out although that didn't quit until last night so probably due to in-progress repairs.

The wind blew out four screens on the back porch and tore off a bit of covering off the fascia on the front of the house. Again, we got off lightly.

Changed the oil on the motorcycle and cleaned up the back porch some and will see about replacement screens on Monday since I figure Lowes will be swamped over the weekend.
That was a hell of a storm. I saw some of the damage on the news and golf tournament on tv yesterday. At least you have AC, that is the biggie this time of year.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:04 AM   #10639
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Walt, I was thinking about you when watching the news reports about the thunderstorms in your area! It must have been hair-raising. Glad your damage was relatively minor and that you still have AC and electricity, though. Sounds like Lowes is going to be jammed, especially after the insurance adjusters are done so that people can start repairs.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #10640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the back slope (inside the fence) and on another day I'm going to go after the California grass outside the fence...
Though I have been where I live for nearly 40 years, only when I got to middle-age that I learned to appreciate the fact that if I do not want something to grow around the house, I simply do not water it.

Oh, freeing up the time causes other problems, such as it often leads to the perennial question of "What I do all day", but I am thinking that that will slowly fade away.

As much as I often think about relocating to a more moderate place on the West coast, I am not sure if I want to spend time and labor for vegetation control, and I am not the type who would be happy without a bit of land around me. I am just going to stay and die here.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Closed Thread