Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #10721
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coffee with a friend, a bit of shopping, and then made a list of all the chores and projects I want to accomplish in the next 4 months. It's a long list and making it was rewarding. Why? Because now that I don't have to go to work anymore, I actually have time to do these things and still have a life.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #10722
Give me a forum ...

DH played bass with Andy this afternoon.

Andy Timmons on Yahoo! Music

I baked peanut butter cookies.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #10723
Give me a forum ...

DW has declared war on two red squirrels who reside in a large cedar tree next to our lake home. The have been habitually raiding our bird seeder. I tried mixing cayenne pepper and black pepper and other hot peppers with the bird seed to discourage them to no avail. So we brought the bird feeder inside and put it on a table by our screen door and talked about trapping them with a Have-a-Heart trap and then releasing them a long ways away.

Before we could get the Have-a-Heart and set it up, one of the varmints actually chewed a hole through the screen door and came into the house and was feeding on the bird seed when DW saw it. She tried to corner it and it actually jumped over her head and scurried away, so she left the door open and it left the building. DW has now declared war on these squirrels and we just rigged up a rat trap (big mousetrap) with peanut butter and bird seed and am waiting to hear the "snap".

However, the poor thing may be so traumatized from its earlier encounter with DW that it may be a while before it gets brave enough to come back and take the trap.

I warned DW that it may squeal and she will have to kill it, but she plans to drown it in the lake. Works for me. Our cat has been useless in keeping them away which surprised me since he loves to hunt mice, moles, birds, rabbits etc I would have thought he would get after these guys since they are intruding on his territory.

I would have loved to get a video of DW trying to corner the squirrel but unfortunately I was away when all the excitement happened.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #10724
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski
DW has declared war on two red squirrels who reside in a large cedar tree next to our lake home. The have been habitually raiding our bird seeder. I tried mixing cayenne pepper and black pepper and other hot peppers with the bird seed to discourage them to no avail. So we brought the bird feeder inside and put it on a table by our screen door and talked about trapping them with a Have-a-Heart trap and then releasing them a long ways away.

Before we could get the Have-a-Heart and set it up, one of the varmints actually chewed a hole through the screen door and came into the house and was feeding on the bird seed when DW saw it. She tried to corner it and it actually jumped over her head and scurried away, so she left the door open and it left the building. DW has now declared war on these squirrels and we just rigged up a rat trap (big mousetrap) with peanut butter and bird seed and am waiting to hear the "snap".

However, the poor thing may be so traumatized from its earlier encounter with DW that it may be a while before it gets brave enough to come back and take the trap.

I warned DW that it may squeal and she will have to kill it, but she plans to drown it in the lake. Works for me. Our cat has been useless in keeping them away which surprised me since he loves to hunt mice, moles, birds, rabbits etc I would have thought he would get after these guys since they are intruding on his territory.

I would have loved to get a video of DW trying to corner the squirrel but unfortunately I was away when all the excitement happened.
I am sure this is a PITA, but it reminds me of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation!

Good luck on ridding yourselves of the squirrels!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #10725
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
...DW has now declared war on these squirrels and we just rigged up a rat trap (big mousetrap) with peanut butter and bird seed and am waiting to hear the "snap"....
Can't you still use the Have-a-heart trap? Why go to the rat trap?
Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #10726
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
+1

Even though squirrels are a PITA, you have to admire their ingenuity and perseverance. DW battled them for two summers, no matter what she did they always found a way to get to the bird seed.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #10727
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a this bird feeder. Works for doves and large nasty birds.

Heritage Farms Bird's Choice Squirrel Proof Feeder
The Heritage Farms Bird's Choice Squirrel Proof Feeder features a weight sensitive metal perch that closes access to the seed tray when squirrels attempt to feed. The attractive spring operated perch is adjustable to allow or exclude large, heavy birds as well as squirrels. A seed baffle design reduces wasted seed and helps keep the feeder area clean. The reservoir has a large 6 quart capacity and the clear plastic reservoir windows make the seed level visible at all times. The feeder's TopLoc feature holds the top open when filling, allowing you to replenish seed one-handed. The feeder has a durable speckled-green powder-coated steel construction that will last for years to come. This feeder may be hung with the included 13" bracket hanger, pole mounted on a 0.75" to 1.75" diameter pole, or placed on a 4" x 4" post using the included adapter. Five year guarantee.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #10728
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1

Even though squirrels are a PITA, you have to admire their ingenuity and perseverance. DW battled them for two summers, no matter what she did they always found a way to get to the bird seed.
Yeah, I hear you. We still can but DW was so pi**ed that the varmint chewed through the screen and was in the house that her typical compassion faded. Usually I would be the neanderthal and she would be the compassionate one. Over 30 years of marriage I've learned to pick my battles and I'm not going to fight her on this when she is so incensed. A couple less red squirrels in the world won't make a difference but I'll appeal to her once she calms down. It has been entertaining to watch though.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #10729

Today was day 3 of 4 for being instructor for the local council Cub Scouts' BB gun range. We have about 50 boys. We finish by 11 am before the heat index gets above 100 F.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #10730
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsparks2 View Post
Today was day 3 of 4 for being instructor for the local council Cub Scouts' BB gun range. We have about 50 boys. We finish by 11 am before the heat index gets above 100 F.
Send them over to my place for their training- its a lot cooler and they can let loose on my two pesky red squirrels!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #10731

Quote:
Send them over to my place for their training- its a lot cooler and they can let loose on my two pesky red squirrels!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #10732
Give me a forum ...

Make that one pesky red squirrel.

I'm afraid to report that the rat trap has claimed its first victim. While it's always sad to see an animal die, particularly a cute animal. this guy pushed DW too far by coming into the house and paid the price - a lesson that I'll need to keep in mind - hell hath no fury....

Anybody have a good squirrel stew recipe?

P.S. I have since found out that part of the reason that DW was so upset is that a a few years ago a neighbor had a squirrel enter their lake house over the winter while they were away, invested their bedroom with fleas, the woman got a terrible rash from the fleas and they had to leave their house for a while while the exterminator did a flea bomb.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #10733

Nothing worse than a squirrel in your house.

Today we traveled down to Venice, FL to pick up our granddaughter for a few days. Met her and our son at the Cracker Barrel and had our usual breakfast. Son and I always get Uncle Hershels Favorite. Granddaughter is turning 17 this fall and is getting ready to move to Georgia in a couple weeks. Our son and her mother divorced years ago but everyone is friendly. Granddaughter is a little worried about the change in schools but she will be going to a brand new high school so will be joining a lot of new people.

We all got on Skype tonight and talked to our grandson who is in the Navy in Pensacola. She hadn't talked to her cousin for quite some time and they had a great time. Granddaughter will be here through Saturday and we will have to show her a good time.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #10734

Quote:
Anybody have a good squirrel stew recipe?
When I was a kid we had squirrel as often as possible. You have to cook it a long time. Texture and taste of chicken dark meat -- well maybe a little tougher. We had other stuff that many people here would not touch.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post936295

Edit to add: I have some Red Fox urine which is supposed to repel squirrels, but I have not put it out yet. I thought Red Fox died many years ago, but I see that it was Redd Foxx who died some time ago.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #10735
Gone but not forgotten

We had a squirrel crawl in through a small hole into the attic & died . The smell was awful . It was about four months before it went away so I am siding with your wife .
Old 07-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #10736
Gone but not forgotten

Despite lousy reviews I went to see "Rock of ages " in the movies and I have to say I enjoyed it . I thought they all did did a great job . I am not a Russel Brand fan so he was the exception. He always plays the same stupid parts .
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #10737
Give me a forum ...

We got the two squirrels and then wouldn't you know it, another one showed up. Pesky critters. With any luck we'll get him and that will be the last one.

In the meantime I bought a "squirrel resistant" bird feeder so I'll give that a try. We have already had a beautiful yellow finch visit.

I need to replace the screen door tomorrow.

Had a dentist appointment this morning, gassed up the car, did a little shopping in the morning. Washed the front windows in the afternoon and had family over for dinner and cards late into the night.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #10738
Administrator

Quote:
We got the two squirrels and then wouldn't you know it, another one showed up. Pesky critters. With any luck we'll get him and that will be the last one.
More might come. You need to warn them off, as they did with the "Forbidden Zone" in the original Planet of the Apes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13854952_gal.jpg (25.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #10739
Moderator Emeritus

I always heard that if you kill a squirrel, two more will take its place (like the hydra, or gray hairs). But they bring giant have-a-heart traps, so you'll be okay.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #10740
Moderator Emeritus

It's been a busy week. Our daughter is surfing-deficient so we've been out three times this week. I'm actually hoping to have today off for "vigorous yardwork", and we'll go surfing tomorrow.

We did a good bit of electrical work this week. When our new familyroom was built last December, the electrician put in white rectangular receptacles & switches. The receptacles match the white walls better, and the openings have small plastic "safety" windows over the hot/neutral slots that only recede when a ground is plugged in. So for the last six months we've been going around the house replacing all of the 23-year-old putty-colored oval receptacles with the new white models. Some of those gecko eggs & centipedes old receptacles did not age well. It's also been interesting to see what breakers are really supplying which receptables/switches, instead of the claims made by the builder's list on the distribution box. My receptacle tester and multimeter have had a good workout.

I've held back from doing the livingroom because it has so many receptacles & switches off one breaker, and that breaker controls spouse's TV/TiVo. We'd also have to move around a lot of furniture.

Coincidentally, spouse's TV started acting up. She prefers to watch cheap CRT TVs (no HDTV in this house) bought off Craigslist for $50 or less. Some of them only last a year or two, some last a decade. A neighbor had just given her one of their excess TVs, so when spouse's 27" CRT started shutting down on overload we upgraded to the neighbor's 32".

So in one fun morning we moved around all the furniture, swapped out the TVs, replaced half a dozen receptacles (one of them switched), and replaced half a dozen light switches (half of them three-way models). Only two of the wires broke, and I was able to fix them with pigtails. By lunchtime I was actually sore, especially in my hands from all the grasping & tweaking & twisting.

We're almost done but we still have to move a couple of bookcases in the study to swap out those receptacles, and one switch is going to require an oversized cover plate. It all worked out great but I was surprised at how many apparently unused muscles I discovered. And in the process, just like my submarine days, I've memorized practically the entire electrical distribution diagram.

Quote:
We got the two squirrels and then wouldn't you know it, another one showed up. Pesky critters.
They have little squirrel assignment officers (with clipboards) who move new squirrels to the territory whenever a billet becomes available...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Closed Thread