Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #10801
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday played 9 holes of golf with some friends in the morning. Had two birdies, including a chip in from about 20 yards on a par 3, which is very unusual for me but a few bad holes (triples) brought me back to earth and my normal score for 9. Then I had a G&T with a nice lunch on the deck at the club.

Went home, took a nap and when I woke up the wind was blowing nicely so I went sailing for 1-2 hours on my little catamaran (Trac 14).

DW & I went out to dinner to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and had a nice dinner at a new place in town that we had been wanting to get to.

Then a bit of shopping and went home and watched some Olympics.

Great day in ER overall.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #10802
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Yesterday played 9 holes of golf with some friends in the morning. Had two birdies, including a chip in from about 20 yards on a par 3, which is very unusual for me but a few bad holes (triples) brought me back to earth and my normal score for 9. Then I had a G&T with a nice lunch on the deck at the club.
What's a G&T? It sounds vaguely erotic. Goose and Tickle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski
Went home, took a nap and when I woke up the wind was blowing nicely so I went sailing for 1-2 hours on my little catamaran (Trac 14).

DW & I went out to dinner to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and had a nice dinner at a new place in town that we had been wanting to get to.

Then a bit of shopping and went home and watched some Olympics.

Great day in ER overall.
Aw, that sounds like a wonderful, terrific day in ER, I agree! Definitely one to remember.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #10803
Give me a forum ...

Went with wife to Ikea to buy tickets for its upcoming Crayfish Feast. Heh heh heh... It's a lot cheaper than going to Louisiana. Heh heh heh... Will see how good it is.

We also had their $0.99 breakfast. Ten years ago, would not have thought I could feel full with something that cost so little (and also looked little on a plate). I guess a sign of being a geezer is that you are like an old broken-in engine. Your body is like a well-oiled machine that can run on so little fuel, and yet deliver much MPG. Heh heh heh...

What do I do with the extra money that used to go for food? Oh, I know. Just feed it to the motor home, aka gas guzzler.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-01-2012, 03:48 PM   #10804
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What's a G&T? It sounds vaguely erotic. Goose and Tickle?

Aw, that sounds like a wonderful, terrific day in ER, I agree! Definitely one to remember.
G&T = Gin & tonic
Old 08-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #10805
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
G&T = Gin & tonic
Oh, thanks! And here I thought I was going to hear about something risque. I should have thought of Gin and tonic (my excuse is that I don't drink, sorry!)

Still sounds like a great day.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #10806
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Oh, thanks! And here I thought I was going to hear about something risque. I should have thought of Gin and tonic (my excuse is that I don't drink, sorry!)

Still sounds like a great day.
Maybe you were thinking of Tonic and Anisette?

Old 08-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #10807
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Maybe you were thinking of Tonic and Anisette?
T&A? Actually I am more befuddled than actually thinking, at this stage...

Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #10808
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R

Nah, you're sharp. You just gotta get your mind out of the gutter. As do I and probably most people here

Old 08-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #10809
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Nah, you're sharp. You just gotta get your mind out of the gutter. As do I and probably most people here
Yeah, so true! Oh well. Time to leave the gutter behind and watch the Olympics. I really enjoyed watching the girls' gymnastics last night! The American team was so much better than I thought they could be.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #10810
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That would be Tonsils and Adenoids. (Having them out) would be NOT my idea of a good ER day!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #10811
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
That would be Tonsils and Adenoids. (Having them out) would be NOT my idea of a good ER day!

Most definitely not!! I still have mine, too. They can stay right where they are, as far as I'm concerned...

Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #10812
Give me a forum ...

I think this thread here is having its effects on people.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #10813
Moderator Emeritus

Who, me? Actually I haven't read it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #10814
Give me a forum ...

As is usually the case, the first time I heard about that book was on this forum. I never go out much, as they say. Then, out of curiosity, I read the linked review. Oh la la. Is that what women want? I dunno... That book got quite a few readers, it looks like, and remember how men always say they subscribe to Playboy for the articles? I dunno...

Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #10815
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
As is usually the case, the first time I heard about that book was on this forum. I never go out much, as they say. Then, out of curiosity, I read the linked review. Oh la la. Is that what women want? I dunno... That book got quite a few readers, it looks like, and remember how men always say they subscribe to Playboy for the articles? I dunno...
The young wife looked at me and said " why do I need that book. Thats what you're for."

Speaking of tonsils and adenoids.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #10816

Trying to get Onone's Suite 6.1 to play nice with Photoshop CS6. Downloading the newest version (2GB) of Suite 6.1 to see if that works.

Still trying to remember what I did with the 5-in-1 reflector for photography. I moved it somewhere when we had the carpets cleaned last month and danged if I can find it. I'm shooting a wedding next month and may have to buy another. Then the first one will turn up.

A guy at work is getting married (2nd time for both) and his alternative is relatives with cell phone cameras, point 'n shoots and the like. I'm sure I can do better than that. So the DVD with the photos will be my wedding present to the happy couple.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #10817
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Still trying to remember what I did with the 5-in-1 reflector for photography. I moved it somewhere when we had the carpets cleaned last month and danged if I can find it. I'm shooting a wedding next month and may have to buy another. Then the first one will turn up.
After my experiences with my lost checkbook earlier this year, I know exactly where you should look. Check the first spot you thought of, where it logically would be, even though you didn't see it the first time you looked there.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #10818
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I have always had the same problem locating stuff. I would call my wife in to help look, and she would find it right under my nose.

Have always been like that since a kid. So, I don't think it is senility. Or is it?

Old 08-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #10819
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound
Yep, I have always had the same problem locating stuff. I would call my wife in to help look, and she would find it right under my nose.

Have always been like that since a kid. So, I don't think it is senility. Or is it?
My husband and I are this way. He can call and ask where something is and describe what it looks like, and I can usually remember the last place I saw it, even if i don't know what it is (like a tool or part.) If I die first, he will never find anything!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #10820

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That happens a lot here too and is generally "plan A" when I can't find stuff. Still looking for the reflector though.

I did play around with the macro lens a bit and tried out some stuff in Photoshop from a book on image sharpening and another book on Lightroom techniques.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rain_on_the_grass.jpg (72.1 KB, 6 views)