Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #10961
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Completed Day 7 of the "Grandparent Freedom Day" celebratory RV road trip. Yep, life is good...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2012, 09:36 PM   #10962
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If not children then grandchildren. Sigh...

I'd better log some RV miles now while I still can.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #10963
Moderator Emeritus

Spouse and I got ambitious at sundown and decided to pull out four 23-year-old gardenia bushes which were well past their prime.

I was digging out the roots of one and decided to use the reciprocating saw with the 12-inch blade. No problems.

As I smacked the mattock against the last stubs of the roots, I realized that a sprinkler pipe was laying in the ground. (The original landscaper went cheap and buried the PVC less than six inches underground.) I was a little surprised that I didn't already have a geyser shooting into the air, but I carefully excavated them looking for crushed or sawed PVC. They were supposed to be four feet away on the other side of the strip of yard (and I have the plans to prove it), but I guess the landscaper didn't feel the need to follow the plans either.

So I crossed my fingers and tested all eight zones of sprinkler pipes. I was lucky-- no leaks.

And we made green waste quota tonight, so now I can go back to finishing our tax returns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Completed Day 7 of the "Grandparent Freedom Day" celebratory RV road trip. Yep, life is good...
I was wondering how that would work out.

For your daughter(s) and the grandkids, I mean. As long as you have all the wheels still on the truck & trailer, I'm pretty sure I know how it's working out for you!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #10964
Give me a forum ...

Thank goodness you are safe and sound W2R!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #10965
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have not been here for awhile but all is good many changes but that is life and I am not bored. Will do a big catch up in bad weather sometime Just doing this one because I promised myself I would check in and fine out how those affected by Issac made out.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #10966
Give me a forum ...

I spent yesterday showing Mr B a good time for his birthday.
I started by showing up with a cake (devil's food and chocolate icing with grated coconut in between the layers and all over the outside) at his morning coffee group. I had candles lit on the cake and we sang HB to him. We all made quick w*rk of that cake.
I gave him new Levi's jeans, 1 denim blue and 1 black. Then we went to a Greek restaurant and he pigged out on a calamatika platter. I had a large appetizer platter with calamatika, grape leaves, and fried eggplant with yogurt sauce. Heavenly !
Last stop was a place where we volunteer. They had ordered a cake for him. Everyone bought him drinks and he had a great time dancing around with some of the ladies (with my OK). My face hurts from laughing.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #10967
Moderator Emeritus

Finally finished our 2011 tax returns!

I think I'll celebrate by weed-whacking the grass on our back slope.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 09-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #10968
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Finally finished our 2011 tax returns!...
Slacker.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #10969
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Slacker.
K-1s suck.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #10970
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Then I need to figure out what flooring I want in that room.
Have you considered cork? Waterproof and it floats...

Not making fun of your misfortune, just trying to find some levity in a bad situation.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #10971
Give me a forum ...

In dry climate like the southwest, it is common for insurance companies to try to salvage a wet carpet by vacuuming up the water and air drying. I wonder am not sure if it can work in places where it is humid. Mold growing in the carpet underlayment is something we would not want to take a chance with.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #10972
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MIL got married in my house today. Took a nap without my CPAP on but woke gasping for breath after a few minutes. Put on the CPAP and had a GOOD nap.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #10973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Finally finished our 2011 tax returns!

I think I'll celebrate by weed-whacking the grass on our back slope.
You sure know how to party Nords!
Old 09-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #10974
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In dry climate like the southwest, it is common for insurance companies to try to salvage a wet carpet by vacuuming up the water and air drying. I wonder am not sure if it can work in places where it is humid. Mold growing in the carpet underlayment is something we would not want to take a chance with.
They do this in the Southeast ( Florida )also . One of my friends had a flood and they came and vacuumed the water and dried out the area . I was there a few weeks later and you really could not tell she had a problem .It has been several years and luckily no mold problems . It was sad because she had just finished a remodeling when it occurred.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #10975
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Called to get help in removing the wall-to-wall carpet that was soaked by Hurricane Isaac after the wind blew my front door open. At first I didn't think it was that wet, but it is and the AC is not going to be enough to dry it out before mold starts to grow.

This is the new carpet that I had installed throughout my home less than two years ago. It was a Home Depot cheapie that they only had in limited quantities and probably don't even carry any more.

My handyman's son is going to help me with it tomorrow or Monday. Then I need to figure out what flooring I want in that room.
Mold is a real risk, especially behind the walls in the rooms where the carpet soaked. It will cost lots more to remedy a mold invasion than replace the carpet. Is tile common in your area? It is much easier to care for and also cooler.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #10976
Moderator Emeritus

Spent the day in Monterey, CA. The aquarium was great but oh so crowded.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #10977

Spent yesterday morning doing a bunch of short trips - picked up a prescription for DW, bought motor oil and filter for DW's car so it'll be on the shelf when the next change is due, got an extra length of telephone cord and a connector thingy to set up the printer to send/receive faxes (while I've only sent a fax from home once over ten years ago, but this is apparently going to happen a lot dealing with selling FIL's house and moving him to an apartment). Dropped off a toner cartridge for recycling.

Grilled a few hamburgers for lunch and some to have later.

Arranged a picture book in Lightroom of BIL's retirement party and ordered four, one for us, him, and the two grown kids who did so much work to make it happen.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #10978
Administrator

Had a nice picnic yesterday afternoon and evening, then a lawn concert. Last one of the season. DD and her SO flew up from Florida for the weekend.

I got stung by a bee. DD is a bit of a worrywart and hypocondriac, she didn't think it was funny when I told her I couldn't breathe and started slipping out of the chair...
Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #10979
Give me a forum ...

Today is a tough day. My 12 year old dog has been going downhill little by little. Nothing seemd to be critical, just a gradual slowing down.
She is in no pain, i.e. nothing hurt her when I gave her a head to toe exam with my hands.
She ate well up until Saturday, and drank a little water today, but refuses food. I tried hand feeding her some canned dog food but she did not take it. Sigh.
I made some beef broth for her. She drank a little of from my cupped hand. I have her all comfy on her bed with classical music playing (normal daytime music for my 2 furry kids when I am gone). I am petting her and telling her what a good dog she is. Her ears move so I know she is still aware.
I have an appointment with the vet Tuesday. I have prepared myself for making "the decision".
Mr B is very comforting and we have discussed euthanasia for her. It seems to be the clearest choice for her.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #10980

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today is a tough day. My 12 year old dog has been going downhill little by little. Nothing seemd to be critical, just a gradual slowing down.
She is in no pain, i.e. nothing hurt her when I gave her a head to toe exam with my hands.
She ate well up until Saturday, and drank a little water today, but refuses food. I tried hand feeding her some canned dog food but she did not take it. Sigh.
I made some beef broth for her. She drank a little of from my cupped hand. I have her all comfy on her bed with classical music playing (normal daytime music for my 2 furry kids when I am gone). I am petting her and telling her what a good dog she is. Her ears move so I know she is still aware.
I have an appointment with the vet Tuesday. I have prepared myself for making "the decision".
Mr B is very comforting and we have discussed euthanasia for her. It seems to be the clearest choice for her.
Sorry to read this, freebird. It's hard to see our beloved pets age and go downhill. So many of us here have been through this and know what you are going through. Good luck with your vet visit and whatever your decision turns out to be.

Our 17 year old cat has slowed down and sometimes has days when she is not interested in food. A day later she's eating well. All she wants to do lately is be outside on the deck, sleeping or just watching yard critters. She's very slow but still goes up and down the stairs.