Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #10981
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
Sorry to read this, freebird. It's hard to see our beloved pets age and go downhill. So many of us here have been through this and know what you are going through. Good luck with your vet visit and whatever your decision turns out to be.

Our 17 year old cat has slowed down and sometimes has days when she is not interested in food. A day later she's eating well. All she wants to do lately is be outside on the deck, sleeping or just watching yard critters. She's very slow but still goes up and down the stairs.
Thanks

To lighten the mood a bit, here is a pic of her when she was a pup. I added the glow. Her nickname is Rocket Dog, because of her high energy as a pup and ongoing as an adult. Crazy dog!
She's had a good life and I will see what the vet recommends. No way will I let her suffer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lijah-closeup.jpg (36.5 KB, 1 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 02:29 PM   #10982
Give me a forum ...

Sorry to hear about your dog, Freebird. At 12-year old, it's a bit early I think. We lost our beloved Angora cat when she was also 12. Yet, I keep reading about cats getting to 17 or 18 years. Oh well, life is never fair, for people or for animals.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #10983
Give me a forum ...

"The DIY'er who came in from the heat".

Yes, that's what I am. I spent 4 hours on the motor home, running wires from the AC compressor clutch to an add-on switch in the dashboard. It was only 103F, but darn, it felt hot!

The MH dash AC does not have an independent compressor cut-out like my other cars. When going uphill, I like to manually turn off the AC compressor, but with this MH the only way to do that is to turn the AC mode to "Vent" or to "Off". Either way is not satisfactory. There's a lot of "coolness" left in the evaporator which goes to waste, plus I either have no airflow, or hot air blown in from outside. What an overlook! So, I added a switch that should be there in the first place.

Yesterday, I changed the MH engine oil and put in good synthetic oil. I also drained the AT fluid, and replace it with Dexron VI (this MH was built when GM still used Dexron III). Will see if it improves gas mileage any. The fridge has been turned on, and the water lines sanitized with Clorox and still need to be flushed.

I am so ready to hit the road!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #10984
Give me a forum ...

Last night and today, my sister and I helped my other sister move and get settled into an apartment. My BIL had brought a bed frame over but with legs but instead used 4 x4s for legs. But he was careless and had the legs 6 inches too high and no bracing around the legs. So my sister and I last night had to go and buy some more wood, and I sawed off 6 inches off the 2x4s to make it all fit. We did that today so now my other sister has a nice comfy bed that she won't risk tumbling off from.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #10985
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Thanks

To lighten the mood a bit, here is a pic of her when she was a pup. I added the glow. Her nickname is Rocket Dog, because of her high energy as a pup and ongoing as an adult. Crazy dog!
She's had a good life and I will see what the vet recommends. No way will I let her suffer.
Sorry to hear about your dog. She looks like a rascal as a pup.

My late friend of mine had a dog that was going on 13. He slept a lot more and was a bit hard of hearing. My friend had thought about maybe the time was approaching. I had felt otherwise and he was slower and not as alert but still wasn't in any pain. Unfortunately things took a turn for the worst last year (it was a horrbile October for me last year) and we lost him to a car (luckily, we didn't witness the accident, as it's still difficult for me just talking about it). Looking back I have regrets as maybe we waited too long, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #10986
Give me a forum ...

Thanks so much for the good wishes, folks.
My little girl is resting comfy but it is clear to me that her end of days of very close, possibly today. I have resolved myself to the inevitable and am giving her as much TLC as I can. This makes me feel less helpless.
I have dealt with the passing of my Mom and my husband. And in true form, I am using my natural compassion to give her some comfort.
My mindset is good, despite the upcoming loss. She is a crazy dog and has given me a lot of laughter over the years. It's my turn to give back to her.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #10987
Give me a forum ...

14 months after moving in, I am finally getting my spare bedroom organized. Yesterday I took a bunch of unwanted items to the Salvation Army. Then I put my cardboard filing cabinets inside the wardrobe, stacked 4 high, and filled them with old tax returns and stuff that I will use again. Instead of keeping tax returns indefinitely as I used to do, I felt very proud of myself for taking 2004's returns to the shredder. (7 years is as far back as they go if there is ever an audit).

Today I went shopping! Since I fired the incompetent cleaning lady, I need a better vacuum than my old $35 upright. A trip to Walmart led me to the purchase of a Bissell Opticlean, which has all the doodads and will reach all those high spots. I also bought a $39 parson's chair and a $20 folding table, both of which I have assembled and am using right now in the spare bedroom. This enables me to work in a room with a window, lay out stuff on the table, and when guests come, cover the table with a fancy cloth, put a nice lamp on, and make a romantic dressing table out of it. I also took a trip to Zellers, where I found closet organizers at 40% off (Yay!) and purchased a dark wood cube organizer, 2 x 4 compartments, and the fabric drawers to go with it.

All of this fit very nicely into my Honda CRV (love love love those folding down flat rear seats) and I have now gotten all of it set up except the cube organizer, which is going to live inside the wardrobe out of sight.

I am developing too close a relationship with Allen keys.

Next, lunch!
Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 PM   #10988
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Thanks so much for the good wishes, folks.
My little girl is resting comfy but it is clear to me that her end of days of very close, possibly today. I have resolved myself to the inevitable and am giving her as much TLC as I can. This makes me feel less helpless.
Freebird , sorry to hear about your dog .It is an incredibly tough decision .Sorry you have to make it !
Old 09-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #10989
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Today is a tough day. My 12 year old dog has been going downhill little by little. Nothing seemd to be critical, just a gradual slowing down.
She is in no pain, i.e. nothing hurt her when I gave her a head to toe exam with my hands.
She ate well up until Saturday, and drank a little water today, but refuses food. I tried hand feeding her some canned dog food but she did not take it. Sigh.
I made some beef broth for her. She drank a little of from my cupped hand. I have her all comfy on her bed with classical music playing (normal daytime music for my 2 furry kids when I am gone). I am petting her and telling her what a good dog she is. Her ears move so I know she is still aware.
I have an appointment with the vet Tuesday. I have prepared myself for making "the decision".
Mr B is very comforting and we have discussed euthanasia for her. It seems to be the clearest choice for her.
I am very sorry to hear this. I have no advice except not to wait too long. I got a new pup a couple of months ago that could have been named Rocket Dog by his actions and speed. we gave my cousins daughter the job of naming him and she called him Rico. He is also called Holy Terror. See my post in animals in our lives. I still have my aging St Bernard, Brandy. I am sure you will make a good decision in spite of the pain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r2.jpg (20.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #10990

Quote:
Today is a tough day. My 12 year old dog has been going downhill little by little. Nothing seemd to be critical, just a gradual slowing down.
She is in no pain, i.e. nothing hurt her when I gave her a head to toe exam with my hands.
She ate well up until Saturday, and drank a little water today, but refuses food. I tried hand feeding her some canned dog food but she did not take it. Sigh.
I made some beef broth for her. She drank a little of from my cupped hand. I have her all comfy on her bed with classical music playing (normal daytime music for my 2 furry kids when I am gone). I am petting her and telling her what a good dog she is. Her ears move so I know she is still aware.
I have an appointment with the vet Tuesday. I have prepared myself for making "the decision".
Mr B is very comforting and we have discussed euthanasia for her. It seems to be the clearest choice for her.
Freebird,
Very sorry to hear about your canine friend. That is a tough one
Today we went to the book swap in town, and loaded up - lots of people there today, and there was a bountiful variety. DH found a book on the technology of the ancient Egyptians, a book on Nostrodomus (sp?), saving money tips at home, and a book written in 1914 about the coming of WW1. I came home with a Depak Chopra book, a DVD - "What The Bleep do we Know?", a Carol Higgins Clark mystery (I love her mom, author Mary Higgins Clark), the book "Communion" by Whitley Streibner, and an assortment of fluffy novels. Life is good.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #10991
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
You sure know how to party Nords!
Well, I had to spend a couple hours back there with a pair of loppers today. I cut down a couple dozen of the bunches of California grass, so now I can go back there with my weedwhacker to get the rest.

It'll mulch most of the hillside behind our house. If we could only use that stuff for salads or construction or fuel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Spent the day in Monterey, CA. The aquarium was great but oh so crowded.
I remember that on non-holiday Mondays and just about any Tuesday, it was nearly empty.

Saturdays & Sundays were the worst. And on a holiday weekend...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #10992
Give me a forum ...

Made my 13th straight beach day. Going back tomorrow, and we are supposed to have pretty weather all this week so I should be good for going all week.

Our late summer weather is like fine wine, precious but it must be savored when it appears.

Ha
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #10993
Give me a forum ...

Week before last, DH and I went to Vegas for a few days. Even tho we had a couple of flight delays going out there, the rest of the trip was a lot of fun. Only lost part of our pants, but came back with our shirts on.

Last week we went to AR and MO to see our relatives (just got back home today). During that time, we went to DH's 40th class reunion. Had a great time...did a lot of dancing...and the small town gossip was in full swing. (there will prolly be more gossiping about the dancing)

DH has another m/c trip planned soon. In October, we plan to go on a couple of camping trips, then make our way back to MO in December.

I won't be here much. Enjoying retirement and getting out of town is in store for a while.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #10994
Administrator

The young wife and I made 8 lbs. of Italian hot sausage today -- 4 lbs. in links/4 lbs in bulk. ("I like pig butts and I can't deny it . . .") Then we went to the farm to pick up our CSA share. For dinner, we're having grilled sausage hoagies with sauteed onions and peppers on top. Mmm, mmm, good.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #10995
Give me a forum ...

Today is my last day with my little doggie friend. She is slowing way down, and the decision is clear for tomorrow. I have tended to her and done my best to get some food and fluids in her. This brings me peace.

The big cry will come when she is gone, on her own or assisted by the vet. My sadness is offset by knowing she lived a great life with me. She was abandoned in a very busy parking lot, all by herself as a pup. Some Good Samaritan brought her to the Humane Society. I adopted her during her first week there.

So many dogs do not have good homes. This little nutsky did.

I have kept myself busy (in between doggie comfort sessions) by redoing the finish on my dining room table.

Thanks for the wishes and for "listening". I truly appreciate that.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #10996
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like your attitude. It sounds like you and your pup had a great adventure together with a beginning, a middle and now it will have an end.

I hope it's peaceful for both of you.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #10997
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So sorry to hear this Freebird. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Basically, the only thing that we did this weekend was car shopping on Saturday. I don't know if it is better to get a 2012 model or wait for the 2013. I think that we are going to get the Toyota Camry SE with a V6. We have never owned a Toyota. I wish that it was like buying a gallon of milk-the same price for everyone at the same store. I always feel like we don't get the best deal and that makes me feel anxious about the whole car buying experience.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #10998
Moderator Emeritus

Last-minute chores, laundry, and packing for FINCON12. I'll be the middle-aged balding surfer wearing an aloha shirt and a ponytail.

After a couple weeks there, spouse will join me in Houston for our daughter's college Families Weekend.

The last time I was on the Mainland for this long, I was on active duty and stationed in San Diego (1997). The last time I was away from home for this long, I was on sea duty (1992). Our housesitter won't want to leave.

Interesting travel fact. If you want to fly from Honolulu to Denver, and then to Houston, and back to Honolulu, it'll cost about $2700 to fly the triangle of roughly 8100 miles. But if you buy a round-trip ticket from Honolulu to Houston, and then fly round trip between Houston & Denver, it only costs about $1025 to fly 9500 miles.

Jet fuel (and crew training) must be cheap compared to running a flight scheduling/pricing algorithm. And, of course, it'll be a lot of fun figuring out which parts are tax-deductible blogging expenses.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #10999

Freebird,

So sorry to hear about what you and your much loved Rocket Dog are going through. I hope/pray that the vet gives you different news, but i imagine your instincts know best. Our dog is 13 (perhaps 14), is slowing down, on several meds and special foods for allergies. DH and i get despondent just thinking about what can not be long down the road.

But, yes, yes, you and your dog have a history filled with lots of love. Many animals and humans never get to experience that. Remember that you have been there for each other and, at the end of the road, that is what matters.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #11000
Give me a forum ...

FinCon 12 would be neat to attend. When I ER I dream of broadening my mind by going to this sort of event, or music festivals. Just because I want to.

Today I finished organizing my spare bedroom, including assembly of the storage unit. It wouldn't quite fit on the side as I had hoped, because the baseboard gets in the way. No. I am not cutting the baseboard! I just put it in facing forwards. It has 8 compartments and I bought fabric drawers for all of them. It's just amazing what it holds. Now I have sent my last suitcase tot the storage unit (covered to prevent getting dusty) and my room actually looks great!

There were so many other things I wanted to do this weekend, like exploring certain interesting valleys 100 km away, or brushing up on my golf drive. The problem is, you just have to devote the time to these projects, or they won't get done. That is, unless you are ER.....
Closed Thread