Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 AM   #11661
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Wheee!

Have a full-price contract on FIL's house! The only contingencies are the appraisal and home inspection.

: dance:
Some people would say the price was too low. The rest of us say yay, mission accomplished!!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #11662
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Some people would say the price was too low. The rest of us say yay, mission accomplished!!!
+1

Sold our last two houses the week they were listed. I say the price was dead on...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #11663

Home pricing is more an art form than a science.

My neighbor put his house on the market about 2 1/2 years ago. After six months, he dropped the asking price by about six percent, where it remains today. I don't think he has had any offers, since it's still by far the most expensive house in the neighborhood.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 AM   #11664
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wheee!

Have a full-price contract on FIL's house! The only contingencies are the appraisal and home inspection.

That is wonderful news, and it suggests two things. First, you did a good job of preparing the house for sale and pricing it. Second, the rapid sale may be one more sign of a recovering US housing market.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #11665
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Wheee!

Congratulations !Way to go !
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #11666
Give me a forum ...

Congrats to Walt for a quick sale.

RE market where I am has been inching up. We were one of the epicenters of the housing market crisis. Prices are still far from where they were at the top of the market in 2005-2006, but have bounced far off the bottom.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at Zillow's info on my daughter's town home, which she bought 2 years ago. There are very few homes on the market now, same situation as in my own area. The one on the market close to hers is listed with an asking price of 60% higher than what she paid, and it was nowhere as nice. I really do not know how Zillow estimates home prices, but it priced my daughter's place at more than 2X what she paid. It could not be right. I would not pay that. Still, I guess she feels really rich now.

A friend of my daughter just bought a house, and had to buy further out from our more convenient location because there were nothing on the market. A recent article on the Web said investors from out of state had snapped up all the good deals.

I pushed my daughter into buying her place because when I looked at it, I could not see how one could build a new home for that price. It was priced far below replacement cost. Yes, you snooze, you lose.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #11667
Give me a forum ...

I lazed around in a nice warm bed until noon, waking up, dozing off, rinse and repeat.
Mr B and I cut up and froze 2 huge racks of pork ribs for future Chinese sparerib dinners. I listened to mellow music on the Soundscapes digital cable channel while I did a few indoor projects.
Mr B had volunteer duty to do tonight, so I opted to hang out at home and putter around.
I had a contact on FB from a nephew, the son of a brother with whom I have no contact. I've never met this young man. He seems eager to get to know me, so I will encourage that. He told me he has no contact with his father (my brother), so perhaps I can help fill a gap in his life. It's all good.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #11668

It's been a busy few weeks. That plus the annual attack of the cedars that makes me a miserable sniffling idiot for most of December and January means I'm feeling a bit crabby.

Tuesday I had the first meeting of a task force at church I agreed to chair. Wednesday I did make it to yoga class before spending the afternoon at a charity where I volunteer to help them with their new phone system installation (it went well, fortunately), then went to prayer group and choir practice at church. Yesterday I learned how to do the cable stitch at our prayer shawl group meeting - that will be fun to try out for real. Then had lunch with someone for another volunteer project. Bunco with the girls in the evening (I won!).

Today was week 3 of our winter 6-week seminar program for retired folks at the university. One session is an introduction to Judaism and they had a rabbi as the guest speaker, explaining the role of the synagogue both historically and currently - very interesting. The other is architecture of temples, synagogues, churches, and mosques through the ages - we covered the Byzantine period today. Both excellent. Headed to lunch at a favorite little Thai place only to find they are closed "for a few months" for vacation and remodeling, bummer. Ended up at a totally average pan-Asian restaurant - we were hungry. Spent the afternoon scoping an RFP for a consulting contract I landed - that's a topic for a thread on it's own someday. Since it was in the high 70s today, I did a little fish pond maintenance. Now catching up with the boards here with a glass of wine
Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #11669
Give me a forum ...

Skated. Ice was great, only three of us in the rink.

5-10" snow prognostication for SW PA.

Drove to the favorite auto repair/tire shop, had them remove 245/75/16 tires and swap to 235/85/16 on the pickup truck. Works better in snow.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #11670
Dryer sheet aficionado

Went fishing today. Temperature was in the 70s. Invited 4 dolphin home for dinner. The first one was very good.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #11671
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Wheee!

That's great news! I bet it will be nice to have that wrapped up and done.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 AM   #11672

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Home pricing is more an art form than a science.
Apparently so. The RE agent said she initially listed it for $3k more than was realistic but wanted to "test the market" for a week or so before lowering it. Evidently the market is improving at least in that area.

Things in favor of a quick sale are that there are only two others in that zip code priced lower and they look "trashy" in the online photos, and we've spent the last four years and close to $50k in improvements on it. More than that if you count the labor that I, DW, and one BIL did.

So it wasn't like we just planted a sign out front and expected top price.

As the RE agent said "You did your homework."
Old 01-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #11673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

So it wasn't like we just planted a sign out front and expected top price.

As the RE agent said "You did your homework."
Similar to what we did selling the Maryland house 5 years ago. It was neat, clean spotless and empty save for a dining room table and chairs.

That was a method to the madness, have a place to sit and discuss, with a good view.

House had three folks in a bidding war, sold for 3K or somore than the asking price. It was on the market for three days. As in your case the comparables looked trashy in pictures.

Doing homework propoerly always pays off.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 AM   #11674
Give me a forum ...

I decided to quit lazing around in bed all morning and got up at 0730.

I was going to drive up north to my friends' beach camp on Lake Ontario, but the weather forecast stopped me in my tracks. A wintry mix does not make for a safe drive, especially along the routes I take. So I will go tomorrow and stay for a few days. I'm bringing my snowshoes instead of my xcountry skis. If it's not too windy, I'll go tromping along the shore for exercise and do some driftwood hunting.

Mr B is busy doing taxes for some of his veteran buddies at zero or very low cost. Most of the returns take less than 45 minutes since they are repeat "customers". I admire him for his generosity. He gets free tickets to dinner events and lots of free drinks from these buddies, most of whom hold officer positions at either the Legion or VFW, so it all evens out.

Light snow is falling now...so pretty to watch from inside my nice cozy house.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #11675
Dryer sheet aficionado

cards

Another year of cardmaking has begun! Next up: Valentines for the grandkids. Each will be unique. I used to spend a couple of hours every year in the card aisles picking out $50 or so stack of cards for birthdays, anniversaries, etc. Now I spend hours on each card, but the message is always personal and (I hope) close to perfect for them. I know how much I think about now-gone dear aunts and grandmas and, with matured insight, remembering all the effort they put into family reunions, picture taking, sending packages, writing letters, and just being with me. If my card adds to a special day, wonderful, but I really hope that they are a small part of tying the family together, sticking to their values and roots, when I'm not here as the old watchdog.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #11676
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm at the job. Nice to have a relief from running FIRE numbers all Sunday. I took the commuter van to yoga class near the office this morning.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #11677
Give me a forum ...

I'm watching Nat Geo WILD while it snows/sleets/snows outside.

A British dude with 'nads of steel Dr Adam Britton is trying to tranquilize (by hand injection in the tail ) a 20 foot crocodile that was captured by villagers in the Philippines.

This guy needs to FIRE.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #11678
Gone but not forgotten

We went to see " Capital Steps " today. I have been wanting to see it . It was funny but I expected funnier . All in all a nice day pre show drink , show , dinner and cocktails . It is great to be retired and flexible !
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 AM   #11679
Administrator

DW was finally able to get a new car. We took delivery of a new Subaru Impreza.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #11680
Give me a forum ...

The fun and craziness due to Carnival (Mardi Gras) has ramped quickly this year, and the Superbowl is here on Sunday as well. Today there will be a free 6-7 hour concert with Creedence Clearwater Revival and three other bands, immediately followed by two large parades. All of this is taking place a little over a half block from F's house, so his driveway and street will be completely blocked in by parked cars and all the crowds. The bright side is that there will be plenty to do right near his home.

Tomorrow the level of insanity will increase dramatically, with even longer free all day concerts there (IIRC Franki Valli and the Four Seasons plus other bands) and another parade and more people, but we are thinking that Sunday might be quieter once the Sunday free all day concerts are over and the Superbowl starts.

It is sunny and so bright outside. What a great day for the concerts and parades.

Some years we just leave the area during Mardi Gras, and some years we don't. Living here, we do realize and appreciate that some people would kill for the opportunity to enjoy it just steps from the comforts of home. We try to remember that and enjoy the fun, even though for us it also can be a little tedious at times.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Closed Thread