Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #11701

We had a long day yesterday.

DW went to the nursing home Saturday to see her father and found he had severe abdominal and back pain. The nursing home, about to call DW anyway, sent him to the local hospital where they diagnosed stones in his gall bladder and bile duct. They could not do the procedure to remove the bile duct stones so they sent him by ambulance to the regional medical center in Hershey, PA, about two hours away.

I called off work and drove up there yesterday with DW and spent the day there, driving back in the evening because we had a 10:00 AM meeting scheduled with the Medicaid attorney and I'm supposed to go into work this afternoon. DW stayed in Hershey with her sister and her husband and will probably ride back with them today. At least that's where we left it yesterday.

Meanwhile in Hershey, the surgeons determined that FIL, 86 years old, could not safely withstand the surgery to remove the gall bladder so they put in a shunt to drain fluid to allow that to rest/recover before doing the surgery at a yet-to-be-determined time. Meanwhile, today they're doing the procedure to remove the bile duct stones.

Re the schedule meeting with the attorney, they said DW needed to be there so that meeting was canceled.

So that's why I didn't log in here yesterday.

Whew!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #11702
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We woke up to 4 inches of fresh snow. The plow guy showed up at 9 AM. I am w*rking up the motivation to go out and shovel the steps and clean off the cars.
I am still in my bathrobe at this time.

UPDATE: Mission accomplished. I got a nice w*rkout.

We have a lake effect snow warning in effect...4-8 inches total, with the possibility of 1 to several inches of snow per hour worst case...
What we get all depends on the wind direction blowing across Lake Ontario.
Central New York Loop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR

We will not go downtown to the bank to cash Mr B's retirement check as planned. At some point he will see the value in changing from getting a paper check in the mailbox to having it automatically deposited. Sometimes his financial logic does not make sense to me.

I received my New Mexico chile peppers seeds from Sandia Seed Company, so perhaps I will do some indoor planting today. I like to start a dozen plants early and grow them indoors for a mid-summer first harvest. I have Big Jim, Anaheim, and Espanola chile pepper varieties to try out.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #11703
gone traveling

Celebrated my good fortune with the Ravens superbowl win last night
Old 02-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #11704
Give me a forum ...

My activities during the day included showering, making lunch and supper. In the meantime, we heard of the death of an ex co-worker in St. Louis. He was about DH's age...never did retire; he went on disability about a year before his death.

One neighbor told us about arresting a TSA agent last night. The guy had drugs in his car. Another neighbor asked DH if he would work on his late son's motorcycle as he was wanting to sell it.

Watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf tonight.

It's been a strange day.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #11705
Gone but not forgotten

I went to see "Silver linings playbook " today . It was a great movie . Robert De Niro still has it and Bradley Cooper was great in the part . Going to see Chick flicks in the middle of the week by myself is one of my secret pleasures.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #11706
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I am still in my bathrobe at this time.
Useless without pics...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 02-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #11707
Moderator Emeritus

This morning I received the lease renewal form for my apartment. We are re-signing for 12 more months. The rent is going up but only by about 4%, which is well below what I had anticipated. I won't have to move for another year, yeah!
Old 02-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #11708
Give me a forum ...

just began 3rd major renovation since we arrived in Paradise. Can you say "addicted to remodeling"? This time, just redoing the hall full bath (not redoing the tub/shower this time). Fortunately, we have found a guy with whom we are compatible. He knows his stuff, but isn't a know-it-all like other folks we've worked with previously. So, new floor, new 36" door, new vanity, sink, towel and tp holders, etc. Already looking good after 2 days.

For just our guy's hourly rate, he and I just went and picked up two "island style" chairs from friends who can no longer "make it" here in the Islands. Once they "retired", they found they could not keep up their $3Mil house and the Jag and Biemer, and toys galore. etc. etc. Poor babies!

Not prone to coveting (at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it) but when I see the view of the Pacific from their lanai, I do covet big time. Not a possibility for us, but we do have a nice Pacific view, so I thank God often for that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #11709
Recycles dryer sheets

We are getting ready to blow insulation up in the attic, so I was up there doing final prep work. Eldest son will take a day Monday and help me blow the fiberglass up there.

Also, am putting some finishing touches on a doll house for our g/daughter. What a project!!! YIKES. But it looks great. Three story Victorian. She has seen it in progress and already loves it. Be nice to deliver it off this weekend.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #11710
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
Also, am putting some finishing touches on a doll house for our g/daughter. What a project!!! YIKES. But it looks great. Three story Victorian. She has seen it in progress and already loves it. Be nice to deliver it off this weekend.
Very nice. She should really enjoy it. Wish I was talented enough to build something like that for my granddaughter.

Ah, lets see....during my morning walk around the lake, I saw a Cooper's hawk pluck a small turtle from the water and proceed to have breakfast in a nearby tree. That was the highlight of my day.....

...open up your mind and see like me...
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #11711
Recycles dryer sheets

**I saw a Cooper's hawk pluck a small turtle from the water**

Way cool. Wildlife is SO interesting.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #11712

A most amazing experience. Went in for the post-op evaluation of my cataract surgery the other day. That eye, which had been around 20/600, is now 20/25. I can actually drive without a problem, and without glasses for the first time. The other eye, which is only about 20/500, will be done next month, and I can hardly wait. Modern medicine is truly a marvel.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #11713
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
A most amazing experience. Went in for the post-op evaluation of my cataract surgery the other day. That eye, which had been around 20/600, is now 20/25. I can actually drive without a problem, and without glasses for the first time. The other eye, which is only about 20/500, will be done next month, and I can hardly wait. Modern medicine is truly a marvel.
That's amazing! Congratulations!!!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #11714
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had three clients today and hanging out with the hubby tonight. We have some grocery shopping to do. Other than that, catching up on laundry and house stuff while surfing
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #11715
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That's great news! Good luck on the other eye. you're right - modern medicine is incredible.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #11716
Give me a forum ...

I got creative today...I made this for the Legion AM coffee clache.

Those maraschino cherries are angularly equidistant, which is not obvious because the photo was taken from a point linearly and angularly separated from the geometric center of the object as well as off the optical axis between the camera lens and the object.

Didya get all that ? Quiz is tomorrow...

NEVER let an engineer loose in the kitchen.

I also watched some serious weather channel reports.
Food...check
Beer...check
Bring it on, Nemo.

Life is good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coffeechoccake.jpg (338.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #11717
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I finished watching season 2 of Downton Abbey today. I'm totally hooked on the series now. Can't wait to get my hands on season 3!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #11718
Give me a forum ...

I woke up to a light dusting of snow. I checked the NOAA site and went over the Red Cross winter storm power out checklist.
I have a good battery supply. I have 10 gallons of gasoline on hand for the generator. I filled some bottles with water.
I brought in more firewood and set up a "ready to light" stack in the fireplace.
All set!
I still need to go start up the generator for a trial run and top off the gas tank.

I was supposed to go for an overnight visit with a lady friend who lives 25 miles away, but I have decided to stay put.

These 2 storms are predicted to come together to the east of where I live...time will tell. My area has been upgraded from 12 inches to 12-18 inches of snow possible.

Northeast Radar Loop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR
Old 02-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #11719
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
These 2 storms are predicted to come together to the east of where I live...time will tell. My area has been upgraded from 12 inches to 12-18 inches of snow possible.

Northeast Radar Loop - NewsChannel 9 WSYR
You may need an air hole to get oxygen down to the house.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #11720
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
You may need an air hole to get oxygen down to the house.
Raised ranch...

If it snows THAT much, I am in big trouble.