what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worked out at the Y, sauna for 1/2 hr, off for breakfest, chatted up the waitress, swapped Polish jokes with a couple of geezers, came home patted the cat which took up residence for a while on my desk. Browsed this forum.

Next up: fixing to get ready to go to a coffe house for more BS and other time wasting activity.:LOL: maybe even read the paper. Ah the pain of it all.

Retirement is grand.

David, our Sears repair guy, came this morning to repair ice maker (on the door) to our refrigerator. Luckily, he lives near to us so they schedule him for here the first thing in the morning so I don't have to wait around all morning. (In fact, last time he was here at 8 am sharp and I had forgot to set an alarm and the doorbell woke us up!) Ice maker seems to be working fine now. Given he has been here for two repairs in the last month, I told him that I wasn't trying to be mean but that I hoped that I didn't see him in and official capacity for a while but he was welcome to stop by for a beer sometime.

Then, once I knew the ice maker was ok, I finished the claim form for my claim with Discover under their extended warranty program and submitted it to their insurer. I have a funny feeling that there will be more to it than just submitting the receipts and getting a check in the mail or a credit to my Discover account, but we'll see.

And of course, kept up to date on goings on at early-retirement.org.

I am trying to finish our tax return. The Federal part is done (received the last K-1 only yesterday), but I still need to deal with the part-year state residency. I am going line by line trying to figure out how much passive income to declare in each state. But I am almost done...

Today I am disassembling my home office and boxing up all my telework documents. It will be out of my house in two days and I will finally be free to enjoy retirement!

I got my money back yesterday!

Our previous HSA account, from 2006-2009 at Shawnee / Canopy Financial, was raided by the Canopy execs, who though the money was theirs. The money was lost, the thieves (CEO & CFO) arrested, tried and jailed. (That's when we learned that FDIC only protects against bank failure, not theft).

The estate entered bankruptcy proceedings, made some recoveries, including fraud insurance, and yesterday I got a check in the mail for our balance of record.

Already filled in the rollover form and mailed it our current HSA provider. Sweet!

Congratulations, MichaelB!!! Receiving unexpected money (whether deserved or not) is such a nice experience. :D

Congratulations, MichaelB!!! Receiving unexpected money (whether deserved or not) is such a nice experience. :D
Thanks. :D

There is just something really sweet about discovering something valuable you once had, then lost, and reconciled yourself to never seeing again. In our case, $12K.

Our previous HSA account, from 2006-2009 at Shawnee / Canopy Financial, was raided by the Canopy execs, who though the money was theirs. The money was lost, the thieves (CEO & CFO) arrested, tried and jailed. (That's when we learned that FDIC only protects against bank failure, not theft).

The estate entered bankruptcy proceedings, made some recoveries, including fraud insurance, and yesterday I got a check in the mail for our balance of record.

Already filled in the rollover form and mailed it our current HSA provider. Sweet!

Wow, that is a risk that I never considered. Not sure how to protect against that risk. Given that I accessed my HSA provider via Vanguard's portal hopefully they have diligenced them.

Had a conversation with one if my financial institutions. They are offering me private banking at zero cost. Obviously the would like to be my only financial institution, but there is no obligation on my part. I will now be able to avoid banking and credit card fees completely. It all helps!

Hi Meadbh- Interesting that you says this. My bank went from a senior checking that paid miniscule interest to no interest. Now they are wanting to add fees for everything. When I said I would have to think about leaving after our long relationship, they said "Goodby". So I am assuming that you must be a well-heeled heavy hitter and your bank wants to keep you. I guess my question is: how did you do it?
Prof12

Hi Meadbh- Interesting that you says this. My bank went from a senior checking that paid miniscule interest to no interest. Now they are wanting to add fees for everything. When I said I would have to think about leaving after our long relationship, they said "Goodby". So I am assuming that you must be a well-heeled heavy hitter and your bank wants to keep you. I guess my question is: how did you do it?
Prof12

How did I do it? I'm a well-heeled heavy hitter and they want to keep me. I do have some financial training (including what I learn here) and can talk intelligently with them. A big chunk of my portfolio is with their private client division and I pay one overall fee, which is lower than what I would pay as a retail investor and is tax deductible. My financial advisor spends 60-90 minutes on the phone with me every 6 months, minimum. We have done financial planning and with my low SWR, they expect my assets to increase over time. Therefore they see me as a long term income generator for the bank and I was one of a select few to be made this offer. Actually, both of my main banks have always delivered excellent customer service and equally interested in keeping my custom. The one offering free private banking is TD and the other is BNS.

We took our vehicle down to the tire store to have the studded tires changed over. DW, my dog and I took a walk along the beautiful Deschutes River.

did 45 minutes cardio, brought Sissy Dog home from vet after spaying, shots, etc.. Cooked supper. Took kids to and from school. Returned a stray dog to its keeper. Kissed DW.

The usual Thursday workout, brkfst, BS. A short stroll to the mom and pop pharmacy, got Zoster shot. $90 copay.

Graded papers while watching the rain here in northern California. Walked to the store to pick up the fixin's for chicken lasagne, my favorite 30 year old Junior League of Milwaukee recipe. Did the Booty Barre workout (I kid you not).
:dance:

Attended water fitness class with DH; prioritized/charted Paris sightseeing for Sept. and emailed it to travel buddy; followed DH to repair shop where he had the battery replaced in our little Miata (in preparation for spring driving); tonight will sew tote bags for charity fund raiser.

A year ago at this time, I was grading research papers........... This is so much better!

:dance: :D

Oops, Again....

Dear Garden Fun-- Please forgive any comparison between your post and mine. I didn't intend to imply that my day was preferable to yours! (I just saw that the juxtaposition of our posts could suggest that....)

Thoughout this first year of ER, I continually reflect on what was going on a year ago, to a fault, I guess.

I tend to drone on and on about paper grading: it was my life's story for 33 years, so I get thrilled each day to have time to do something else.

Again, my apologies--
LitGal :(

Recently, DH started developing problems that made us believe he might have cancer of the esophagus. His doctor was concerned as well, so DH had an endoscopy done this afternoon.

I am overjoyed to say NO CANCER was found. The doc did take some samples to be tested to see if there might be an infection. An infection, though not pleasant can certainly be handled easier than cancer.

None of us ever want to hear 'you have cancer'. I can say I'm relieved that I didn't have to hear it again..at least for today.

It's time for a little relaxin' .....:)

Recently, DH started developing problems that made us believe he might have cancer of the esophagus. His doctor was concerned as well, so DH had an endoscopy done this afternoon.

I am overjoyed to say NO CANCER was found. The doc did take some samples to be tested to see if there might be an infection. An infection, though not pleasant can certainly be handled easier than cancer.

None of us ever want to hear 'you have cancer'. I can say I'm relieved that I didn't have to hear it again..at least for today.

That's very good news indeed. Scares like this are coming too often for you. Relax away....:)

Whew! It's great that no cancer was found. Cancer of the esophagus is nasty. I recently read that it is getting much more common due to obesity, reflux and Barrett's esophagus, which is a precancerous condition that may happen when reflux is chronically present.

Mr bbbamI is certainly going through his share of health problems recently. I hope that things will settle down soon for you two. Meanwhile, hugs!!!

Dear Garden Fun-- Please forgive any comparison between your post and mine. I didn't intend to imply that my day was preferable to yours! (I just saw that the juxtaposition of our posts could suggest that....)

Thoughout this first year of ER, I continually reflect on what was going on a year ago, to a fault, I guess.

I tend to drone on and on about paper grading: it was my life's story for 33 years, so I get thrilled each day to have time to do something else.

Again, my apologies--
LitGal :(

No worries, LitGal! I'm actually just teaching parttime at the college level, just a few courses a year. Not at all like your career teaching fulltime! I really admire folks who can face students all day long every day.

In fact, I'm just trying to figure out how much I want to continue teaching even parttime in retirement. Even these few classes per year seriously cut into my "what shall I do today?" routine. One of the courses I teach is an online course, so it is completely flexible, but there are still papers to grade. :( I hear ya on that chore!

Jeez, B! Mr B sure keeps you on your (twinkle)toes with scary posibilities. Soooo glad to hear this one got ruled out!

Oh thank goodness, what a RELIEF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom