Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #12101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I decided the best way to keep off my feet was to log in today and catch up on the threads. I was w*rking on straightening up the fallen branch kindling pile under my deck last Tuesday. I managed to dislodge a decorative 4 inch concrete brick, which landed first on my shin and then right on the big toe of my right foot. I had sneakers on instead of my usual leather w*rk boots.
After several minutes of birdies and stars circling my head, I saw that it was only bruises. So I kept on doing my thing. It wasn't until Mr B came home that he managed to talk me into sitting down and icing the injured areas. I kept it moving by flexing the toe. No severe pain, just aching.
The next day the toe area turned all sorts of purple. Today, it is still slightly bruised and difficult to walk on for more than 10 minutes. Methinks I broke it.
Oh well. Less on learned about wearing proper foot protection.

It is sunny today, and supposed to warm up to 75F. Maybe I'll go out to my back deck and start my 100% tan.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #12102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's only 11:00 AM here and I've already disposed of 7 1/2 pounds of out-of-date sun block and suntan oil. (Some of it was 10 years old).
Old 04-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #12103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
Today starts my 4th week in ER. Finally started to feel relaxed enough to sleep until I get up naturally, without guilt and without the alarm clock. The weather has been so lovely since my first day of retirement April 1st. I have been taking many many walks with my dogs. They love ER as much as I do judging by the huge grins on their faces.

Dogwood, and cherry blossom, forsythia, tulips, daffodils, and magnolia bloom all around me. Cannot look in any direction without seeing so many beautiful flowers. I feel truly blessed to be beginning my ER at such a beautiful time of year but I bet I would love ER just as much if it had started during a blizzard.

Free time after decades of hard work feels so delicious. I look forward to doing more of the same. Day after day. Enjoying my coffee or tea, reading, walking the dogs, eating a small breakfast, cleaning the house, laundry, ironing, dusting, a little bit of investment-related paper work or computer time, and then writing in my journal, then heading to Whole Foods to pick up some kale, chard, and any kind of fish that may be on sale, teaching a yoga class or two, then home to prepare and enjoy dinner.

Quiet, leisurely, uneventful day --- one after another. I look forward to another 30 years of this if I should be lucky enough to live that long.

Sometime I lose sight of what is really important in life. Your great post has reoriented me.
THANKS!!!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #12104
Recycles dryer sheets

Early morning walkies with the wife and the dog to start the day... then tuned up the lawn mower, new blade and spark plug and then I cut the high spots...the lawn is just starting to come back...then I turned over the veg garden with the rototiller. I got two pickup truck loads of manure a few weeks ago. It's gonna be a nice garden this year.

Taking a break right now but i'll be back at it soon.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #12105
Give me a forum ...

What does a retiree do all day?

This week I have been assembling furniture from Amazon again. Does it seem like you have read these lines before? Often their furniture is so cheap, and delivery is so easy, that I keep getting sucked into these tempting furniture assembly projects. And, I admit, I enjoy doing these projects.

Anyway, this time it was an over-the-toilet cabinet/spacesaver thingie. After I completed the 28 steps listed in the instructions, it is now finished and in place, and has plenty of room for medicine cabinet contents, plus a few extra towels, extra TP, tissues, and more. Very convenient and my bathroom seems so much more comfortable and habitable now.

Today during a lull in the rain we went out to lunch, and I ordered a delicious Caesar salad. We passed by a friend's house that had some roof and second story damage from the small tornados last Wednesday. What a mess.

JazzFest is in full swing, which is probably why it is raining. Every year it seems like at least one weekend of JazzFest is completely rained out and muddy. Like some other New Orleanians, we prefer to stay away but we hope the rains stop so that the attendees don't get too soaked.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #12106
Administrator

Went to the beach.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #12107

Watched DW bake six dozen cookies of assorted kinds, three pies, and various other baked goodies. Most of this will make its way into w*rk with her tomorrow morning (she will FINALLY be joining me in retirement at the end of July).

She has a wonderful system that I've always felt all companies should adopt. When any employee has a birthday, they bring in treats for all their co-w*rkers. The benefit is so obvious: everyone only has to think about it once a year, instead of keeping track of others' birthdays.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #12108
Recycles dryer sheets

Took a picture of a duck that decided to make a nest under one of my trees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1151881029.jpg (574.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #12109
Dryer sheet aficionado

Tried to work on budget, projections and other retirement plans. Ran out of the house for another showing (third one this weekend!). It was a pretty uneventful day, which is just fine by me.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #12110
Moderator Emeritus

Took out some tree stumps, took my kayak on its maiden voyage and went for a bike ride
Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #12111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
.. Summer Spiced Wheat, a Spruce Wheat, and a Vienna Ale. She went with the Spruce Wheat, I had the Vienna and followed with a bottle of my Black Rye - my own recipe which I think is perfect with steak.
Sounds like a nice selection of your handi-work you have on tap and in bottles. Getting an early start on the summer beer, hehe.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #12112
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Accepted an offer on our last rent house. Put it on the market 10 days ago, already have an offer we're good with and it looks like we'll close on May 30.

This is the last piece that we had to get done before we could seriously think about buying our retirement home, relocating and pulling the retirement trigger.

I know a lot of people like to have rental property in their portfolio, but I didn't like the thought of living in a different state and having to rely on property managers. For me there was just too much risk in that part of the portfolio for me. In 30 days that particular risk will be gone.

Just need to get a bit closer to our number and we'll all set.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:27 AM   #12113
Moderator Emeritus

We had dinner at a local restaurant on Saturday night, for my birthday. A bit stuffy for my taste, but the food was as good as it was surprising. Hard to describe, American-style steakhouse with a distinct Asian influence. Lots of new and unexpected flavors for me.

Spent the afternoon at the beach yesterday. The weather was sooooo nice! My scarily pale complexion even got some color other than white or red. Since my wife "stole" my subcompact digital camera, I spent hours last night browsing Amazon to find a replacement. After much indecision, I ordered the Canon Powershot S110.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #12114
Moderator Emeritus

Mowed and edged the lawn, and did a little weeding. Yes, the workweek starts...

Next, I cleaned up an antenna tuner I bought at a hamfest this weekend (de-spider the internals, and did the usual fixes for Mighty Fine Junk like remove solder bridges and solder the unsoldered and cold-soldered connections; I know why the owner sold it so cheap!). Now, I've got a humongous linear power supply (13.8 volt, 35 amp) on the bench for it's pre-plugin inspection and cleanup.

Edit: Meeces! Mouses? The power supply was apparently sublet to a small family, whose activities included relocating mattress stuffing to an internal heat sink. They also found the wiring delicious. A little soap and water, alcohol, and a few feet of wire (and rubber gloves, facemask, etc) and this thing will be as good as new. :-)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #12115
Give me a forum ...

Vacuumed and steam mopped our upstairs this morning. Since we had been away on "vacation" it hadn't been done for almost a month (seems that DS doesn't know which end of a broom to use unless one of us are here to remind him!) and our cat is starting to shed so I found lots of dust-bunnies.

Took a nap this afternoon and then worked on a project for DD fixing a bed headboard that needed some TLC and helped DW assemble some storage cubbies she had bought.

Then toasted my "hard work" with a glass of Lime-a-Rita in crushed ice. Now that I think of it, it's about time for another.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #12116

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Watched DW bake six dozen cookies of assorted kinds, three pies, and various other baked goodies. Most of this will make its way into w*rk with her tomorrow morning (she will FINALLY be joining me in retirement at the end of July).

She has a wonderful system that I've always felt all companies should adopt. When any employee has a birthday, they bring in treats for all their co-w*rkers. The benefit is so obvious: everyone only has to think about it once a year, instead of keeping track of others' birthdays.
When DH and I w*rked in Germany for several years, we learned that there it is customary for a person to bring in treats for their birthday and also to throw a "leaving" party for their colleagues when you leave a job (whether it is for a job change or retirement). I wonder if your DW's company is headed by a European who started the custom?
Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #12117

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I wonder if your DW's company is headed by a European who started the custom?
Not at all. Apparently the custom has been independently invented more than once.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #12118
Give me a forum ...

I hate dealing with contractors. Hung around house today waiting on countertop guy to show. Never did. Not a waste of a day though, still cleaning out mom's house of old stuff. Cleaned the windows and blinds, washed drapes and got them hung again.

One thing for sure, won't use this guy to do work on my aunt's old house. He has too many irons in the fire for my liking.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #12119
Give me a forum ...

I just thought of a response to the ol' "What do you do for a living" question. I'm golfing ~3 times a week now that I am ER and a couple of these groups have a pot that everyone puts $5 in and 1-2-3rd high net teams win, along with closest to the pin on a couple par 3s.

So from now on, if someone asks me what I do for a living, I intend to tell them that I am a "professional golfer". That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #12120
Moderator Emeritus

Today is supposed to get unseasonably warm and the plan is to stay cool as best I can without A/C. In the meantime, I spent the morning assembling 2 new terrariums, one for ferns and mosses, and one for succulents.

Closed Thread