Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 04:13 AM   #12161

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Thanks guys...

Now I just need to work up the nerve to drive it. I feel like when I get behind the wheel of a new car, someone paints a bull's eye on it....everyone is out to get me.
DW was the same way the last time we bought a new car. It was three weeks before she'd drive it by herself.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #12162

Quote:
We got a 2013 Honda EX L. We've owned Hondas for over 20 years now. I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.
Exactly what I bought about two months ago. My third one in a row (exact same model), and each one gets better fuel economy than the last. About 3,000 miles on it already, with an overall average of 28.4 mpg.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #12163

Took DW out to dinner, chatted with a pilot friend I hadn't talked to for a while, and I was going to go to a nearby park for photos but it was getting late, the park closes at dark, so I just went out in the back yard to play with a macro lens and close-up flash.

One of the things I keep reading in all of the photography books is "get out there every day with the camera" so I'm trying to do that. Although taken in daylight at a high shutter speed and small aperture that kills the ambient light so it is lighted by flash only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backyard_flora-2.jpg (87.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Backyard_flora-1.jpg (69.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Backyard_flora-6.jpg (79.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 05-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #12164
Administrator

Walt, nice photos!

We went to see Iron Man 3 yesterday. Most enjoyable. Saw the trailer for The Lone Ranger, now on our must watch list.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #12165
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I just went out in the back yard to play with a macro lens and close-up flash.
Thanks for sharing
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #12166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Had quite a week. Last Sunday we went to see the Rolling Stones. We really couldn't justify the cost of the good seats, so we ummed and aahed about it until online ticket sales were cut off just a few hours before the show. At that point, we suddenly realized that we had to see them. They were playing in our town, just 4 miles away from my house, and it may never again be as easy to go see them. We went to the box office and got great seats for much less than were selling online. Score!

It was a fantastic show. I'll try to avoid getting too wordy, but it was truly fantastic seeing Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and the whole gang perform their songs.

Then last night, I attended the Oakland Internet Cat Video Festival, the highlight of which was about an hour's worth of internet cat videos being projected onto the side of a large building in Oakland. A few city blocks were closed down for the event. Standing and sitting with several thousand other people and laughing at cat videos was a joyful, gentle and peaceful way to spend an evening. But of course, if I had to choose between the 2 events, I'd pick The Stones :-)

Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #12167
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Had quite a week. Last Sunday we went to see the Rolling Stones. We really couldn't justify the cost of the good seats, so we ummed and aahed about it until online ticket sales were cut off just a few hours before the show. At that point, we suddenly realized that we had to see them. They were playing in our town, just 4 miles away from my house, and it may never again be as easy to go see them. We went to the box office and got great seats for much less than were selling online. Score!

It was a fantastic show. I'll try to avoid getting too wordy, but it was truly fantastic seeing Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie and the whole gang perform their songs.
Wow! I am so glad that you got to see the Stones. It's hard to imagine that they are still on tour at their ages. I guess that is one difficult aspect about being a rock star that I never thought of; their fans, hangerson, leeches, and creditors all expect them to work forever, and never retire. I used to feel envious of rock stars, with all their music and glamor and fast lives, but that has to grow old at some point.

Remembering an old song, I think I can add a last line:

Quote:
Now look at them yo-yos thats the way you do it
You play the guitar on the mtv
That aint workin thats the way you do it
Money for nothin and chicks for free
Now that aint workin thats the way you do it
Lemme tell ya them guys aint dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb
Maybe work hard until your last days come.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #12168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post

Then last night, I attended the Oakland Internet Cat Video Festival, the highlight of which was about an hour's worth of internet cat videos being projected onto the side of a large building in Oakland. A few city blocks were closed down for the event. Standing and sitting with several thousand other people and laughing at cat videos was a joyful, gentle and peaceful way to spend an evening. But of course, if I had to choose between the 2 events, I'd pick The Stones :-)

You certainly did have quite the week. Rolling Stones are definitely one of my favorite bands. I have seen then a couple of times. I can't imagine them ever putting on a bad show. However, another one of my favorite bands, was Jethro Tull. The last time that we saw them, I wished that I had not went. Ian Anderson could not put on the show that he once did. I loved his flute and dancing back in the day. I guess we all get old, except the Stones.

The cat video watching with numerous people sounds like so much fun. I have never heard of something like that before. We are definitely cat people. We now have 6 cats and 1 dog in our house. However, if and when my DD's family decides to leave our house, their cat and dog are definitely going with them.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #12169

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Visited four wounded warriors at Brooke Army Med Ctr. They all had one simular concern~no one (other than family/friends) really seems to care that they are still fighting and getting ground up in the Afghan. Their wounds and sacrifices are just as valid as those in 2002 when the citizenry were all behind the war and thanking them for their service.

Many of these guys I saw today were in the 5th grade at that time.
Thanks for visiting them. Their concerns are valid, IMHO. I will be so happy when there are no Americans fighting anywhere. I wish that there could be no fighting anywhere, but as John Lennon would say, I guess that I am a dreamer. Thank God, my son-in-law, came back without any injuries. His baby brother, age 21, is currently there. I pray that he returns without any injuries also. My niece's son was injured and another niece's spouse was injured. Neither had major injuries though. They would not allow niece's son to reenlist in the Marines and he is receiving disability. Niece's spouse retired from Army and I believe that he is receiving a partial disability. I don't think that the general public is aware how much the wars are costing us now and for many years to come. I especially feel sorry for the soldiers and their families that have to put up with these injuries for the rest of their lives, both the injuries that people can see and the ones that can't be seen.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #12170

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow! I am so glad that you got to see the Stones. It's hard to imagine that they are still on tour at their ages. I guess that is one difficult aspect about being a rock star that I never thought of; their fans, hangerson, leeches, and creditors all expect them to work forever, and never retire. I used to feel envious of rock stars, with all their music and glamor and fast lives, but that has to grow old at some point.

Remembering an old song, I think I can add a last line:
I don't think it grows old with the core members of the remaining Stones (Mick, Ronnie, Keith and Charlie). The ones who became fed-up with it, or who couldn't hack it, have already left the band. Mick Taylor has said that he would probably be dead he he not left, and although I am not a scholar of the band's history, I believe Bill Wyman got burnt out and tired of the rigmarole.

I'm like you W2R - I don't envy their lifestyle at all, but they seem quite happy with it. Keith has talked about wanting to keep on doing this as long as he can and I hope they all do. I would love to see them tour again, and will definitely be going to see them if they do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
You certainly did have quite the week. Rolling Stones are definitely one of my favorite bands. I have seen then a couple of times. I can't imagine them ever putting on a bad show. However, another one of my favorite bands, was Jethro Tull. The last time that we saw them, I wished that I had not went. Ian Anderson could not put on the show that he once did. I loved his flute and dancing back in the day. I guess we all get old, except the Stones.

The cat video watching with numerous people sounds like so much fun. I have never heard of something like that before. We are definitely cat people. We now have 6 cats and 1 dog in our house. However, if and when my DD's family decides to leave our house, their cat and dog are definitely going with them.
The critic in our local newspaper wrote a rather scathing review of the show. He suggested that after this tour, they should hang up their hats and stop touring. I asked myself whether he had seen the same show we had, because the one we saw was excellent. The problem with many music critics is that they are often not fans of the artists they review. He said that Keith's playing was sloppy. Maybe it was - I'm not a musician, so don't judge music by the same criteria. To me, though, it's similar to a critique of a photograph in which the critic notes that the photograph has areas that are out of focus, blown highlights etc, while ignoring the fact that the photographer has effectively captured a very special moment in time and created a picture that has depth and meaning.

The Stones are serious musicians who work hard at it. They are all around 70 years old, give or take a few, and it is so impressive to me that they can do this with the vigor and passion that they do. A 2 1/2 hour performance is physically demanding - especially so for Mick and Charlie IMO. Good for them!

I almost forgot to talk about cats. What can I say - our pets are the best. I am a certified crazy cat lady and proud of it too

Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #12171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
Thanks for visiting them. Their concerns are valid, IMHO. I will be so happy when there are no Americans fighting anywhere. I wish that there could be no fighting anywhere, but as John Lennon would say, I guess that I am a dreamer. Thank God, my son-in-law, came back without any injuries. His baby brother, age 21, is currently there. I pray that he returns without any injuries also. My niece's son was injured and another niece's spouse was injured. Neither had major injuries though. They would not allow niece's son to reenlist in the Marines and he is receiving disability. Niece's spouse retired from Army and I believe that he is receiving a partial disability. I don't think that the general public is aware how much the wars are costing us now and for many years to come. I especially feel sorry for the soldiers and their families that have to put up with these injuries for the rest of their lives, both the injuries that people can see and the ones that can't be seen.
+1 to everything you said Dreamer. Without taking this into political territory, our military personnel are so important to us that IMO, the very least we can do is to make sure we only send them into harms way if they are absolutely needed, and then to give them all the support they need once they return. We fall short on both of those.

Much respect to our military, and thank you for visiting some of them mickeyd.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #12172

Quote:
Thanks guys...

Now I just need to work up the nerve to drive it. I feel like when I get behind the wheel of a new car, someone paints a bull's eye on it....everyone is out to get me.
Very nice car. We test drove one a couple weeks ago, and if we had to buy today, this is exactly what we would buy (with the navi). We just upgraded the truck though (to actually be able yo pull our trailer) so we won't likely upgrade the car for another 2-3 years. It will be 10-11 years old then, but at 8 years old now, it only has 50k miles on it and it's in really good shape. We are on our 4th Honda, and have loved every one of them.

R
Old 05-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #12173
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke up later than usual. Lunch with friend and coffee later. Ran a number of errands. Pilate in the evening. Surf Internet and watch movies - perfect retirement life.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #12174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I drowned or smashed 100's of stink bugs. Then did 100's more. Oh how I hate those stink bugs! Then I finally rubbed down the wax on my van windows and put another coat on. Did I mention that I hate those stink bugs that are everywhere?
Good news on the stink bug front. It is now documented that there is at least one natural predator for them - bluebirds!

David Hobby writes a neat photography blog called Strobist and in the process of photographing the birds found they were eating stink bugs. And perhaps more importantly, teaching their young'uns to eat them too. Strobist: Bluebirds and Stink Bugs

And he writes that only one of the several scientists he called about it knew.

Go bluebirds!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #12175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks guys...

Just park it at any Walmart, and get that first ding out of the way...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #12176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Very nice car. We test drove one a couple weeks ago, and if we had to buy today, this is exactly what we would buy (with the navi). We just upgraded the truck though (to actually be able yo pull our trailer) so we won't likely upgrade the car for another 2-3 years. It will be 10-11 years old then, but at 8 years old now, it only has 50k miles on it and it's in really good shape. We are on our 4th Honda, and have loved every one of them.

R
Thanks.

Our sedan has navi. We thought about getting a sedan without it, but found a 2013 model that had 2400 miles on it with the navigation system. Since it was 'used', we got the car for less than the cost of a new EX L (without navi).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Just park it at any Walmart, and get that first ding out of the way...
Ain't that the truth!

Eh...gotta trip coming up soon. Going thru NM, CO, and WY. I figger during that time something will chase the car down and splatter it a good one.

But hey...it's just a car.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #12177
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
It's cloudy today and I'm feeling a bit lazy, so here's a link to a nice pic. Click on the last color...white orchid pearl.

2013 Honda Accord Sedan - Exterior 360 View - Official Honda Site

I thought about driving the car today, but I'm afraid a bug might try to commit suicide on it. Can't mess it up just yet.
Great looking car ! Have fun !
Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #12178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks.

Our sedan has navi. We thought about getting a sedan without it, but found a 2013 model that had 2400 miles on it with the navigation system. Since it was 'used', we got the car for less than the cost of a new EX L (without navi).

Ain't that the truth!

Eh...gotta trip coming up soon. Going thru NM, CO, and WY. I figger during that time something will chase the car down and splatter it a good one.

But hey...it's just a car.
Great choice! I hope the first ding is many months away! Sounds like you got a LBYM bargain. Navi is nice, but not essential. When I bought my CRV last year I saved a couple of thousand dollars by saying no to the navi. I then spent a couple of hundred dollars on a decent Garmin. I found the Garmin very helpful while driving a rental car in Maui.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #12179

Just finished hiking Mt Vesuvius and visiting Pompeii. Now sitting on the ship's balcony sipping a glass of wine waiting for sail away...ah vacation :-)
Old 05-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #12180
Give me a forum ...

Workout at the Y, ambled over to get breakfest, chatted with waitress and some other Qtip geezers. Home, pulled the pump from the hot tub, drove to next town to get the seal and impeller changed. Should be ready next week. Picked up stuff at the cleaners, got some key made. Stopped for coffee. Had to re-level the deck on th mower, then cut grass.

Done. DW is making dinner.