Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #13001
Moderator Emeritus

Put in a new Kohler toilet in the guest bathroom.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #13002
Full time employment: Posting here.

Each year, since 1979, a group of friends from college (graduating in '77 and '78) has met once yearly for lunch or dinner. Many times, we are not all present and often there are "extras". Today we met and all five "core" members all there. It was a 2.5 hr lunch which later moved to one of the member's houses. While i stay in close contact with only one of them, it is always wonderful to visit and catch up. Many joys and heartaches over the years.

Three of us are retired. The one who has not worked outside of the home tripped and fell on a curb outside the restaurant. She was quite the trooper with a bag of ice supplied by the server. I just learned a bit ago that she ended up in urgent care and her hand is, indeed, broken. Other than that, it was a great day.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #13003
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyes View Post
Each year, since 1979, a group of friends from college (graduating in '77 and '78) has met once yearly for lunch or dinner. Many times, we are not all present and often there are "extras". Today we met and all five "core" members all there.....Three of us are retired. ....
I graduated in '77 as well. I'm surprised that 3 out of 5 of you are retired, I have trouble finding anyone my age that is retired around here so I end up hanging out with so local retirees in their mid 60s and up.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 12-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #13004
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I graduated in '77 as well. I'm surprised that 3 out of 5 of you are retired, I have trouble finding anyone my age that is retired around here so I end up hanging out with so local retirees in their mid 60s and up.
That came up during yesterday's lunch when the one, not retired, was lamenting the fact. The one with the broken hand commented something along those lines...You know, it's pretty surprising three of you have retired at our age. At that point, we probably clicked our glasses in another cheers!

The last to retire is married to a dentist and they seem to be very well off. A buyout offer from AT&T last month convinced her to retire. The first to retire has never married, bought a house in Denver, and is struggling a bit financially. The one who has never worked is married to a workaholic who makes big bucks. The one still working does botox, etc.--so she may not be able to afford retirement. Granted, she looks great!
Old 12-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #13005
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Just back from the family Christmas gathering in AL. Good to see everyone, but glad it's over. Will enjoy the next few days with the mutt, a bottle of wine and good food I brought back with me. And will enjoy some peace and quite. I'll start my diet January 1. I'll let you know what year later.
Heh...that used to be my mantra....

Mid November (my six month checkup), my doc at my weight. Since then I've changed my eating habits and the pounds are slowly melting away. I'm doing this mostly for health reasons and of course a little vanity.

I need to replace my digital scale as it's old and very touchy. For instance, the other night I weighed myself and it showed I was 20 lbs lighter than I was the day before. The only way that could have happened is if I had lost a limb....

I don't need a fancy one...telling me fat density (I know that), just one that is consistently accurate and I can see the number without using binoculars.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #13006
Give me a forum ...

I agree, BbbamI, the fat density is pretty useless. I bought a great Tanita scale about 13 years ago and although expensive at that time, it has been so worth the cost. I ignore the fat density, though. What I love about it, is that it is consistent with my Weight Watchers weight so I know it is exactly right.

I do have to wear my glasses when using it, though! Plus, I took it out of its previous location and instead placed it in a very well lit spot on a hard, flat, more level floor. Before then, it was not giving me such reliable results.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #13007
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Heh...that used to be my mantra....

Mid November (my six month checkup), my doc at my weight. Since then I've changed my eating habits and the pounds are slowly melting away. I'm doing this mostly for health reasons and of course a little vanity.

I need to replace my digital scale as it's old and very touchy. For instance, the other night I weighed myself and it showed I was 20 lbs lighter than I was the day before. The only way that could have happened is if I had lost a limb....

I don't need a fancy one...telling me fat density (I know that), just one that is consistently accurate and I can see the number without using binoculars.
I can't read the scale very well either. I'm not changing. Now if I can just find one of those mirrors that makes me look skinny.

Actually when I went to the doc back in Oct, I told him I needed to lose 10 lbs. He looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and said nothing. I've always liked this doc.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #13008
Give me a forum ...

Thanks WTR. I took a look at a model and it looks like it would work well for me....

HD-390WH Digital Weight Scale

Then I saw this one....

Conair WW58 Motivate Bath Scale: Home with Kmart

Decisions, decisions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I can't read the scale very well either. I'm not changing. Now if I can just find one of those mirrors that makes me look skinny.

Actually when I went to the doc back in Oct, I told him I needed to lose 10 lbs. He looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and said nothing. I've always liked this doc.
Hmmm...sounds like I need to see if he's accepting new patients.

I wish my doc wasn't so skinny.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #13009
Moderator Emeritus

what did you do today?

Nice going bam(bi) on the melting of poundage! And with the worst months of the year temptation wise too.

I like that digital scales today can weigh in increments of a pound--every little bit helps! Mine is pretty old, but very consistent with being 1.5 lbs less than any doctors office scale, from the beginning. Obviously someone needs to re calibrate all those doctors office scales.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #13010
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Nice going bam(bi) on the melting of poundage! And with the worst months of the year temptation wise too.

I like that digital scales today can weigh in increments of a pound--every little bit helps! Mine is pretty old, but very consistent with being 1.5 lbs less than any doctors office scale, from the beginning. Obviously someone needs to re calibrate all those doctors office scales.
Thanks...

I'm hoping if I get a new scale, it might show I weigh less than my old one. If it doesn't, I'll return it.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #13011

Washed DW's car on the last warm day of our unusually warm weekend in preparation for the coming onslaught of normal winter weather. Maybe snow tomorrow.

Went out and got a large pizza for lunch. My weight was right on target this morning so I gotta fix that.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #13012
Gone but not forgotten

I spent today getting ready for our annual Christmas Eve buffet . Got out the Christmas dishes and made a few things so tomorrow I just have to make the scalloped potatoes and a large salad .The weather looks great so we will have dinner on the deck and the overflow will be in the dining room.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #13013
Give me a forum ...

Went to get my Christmas ornaments from my storage locker. I had put a U shaped bike lock on it for extra security, and the darn thing wouldn't open. It felt a bit stiff the last time I used it. I called a local locksmith who took only 25 minutes to arrive and fortunately was able to open it without resorting to a hacksaw. But the lock mechanism is definitely jammed, so out goes the lock. I guess it is possible to have too much security! Anyhow, I have now set out my Christmas ornaments, including those I bought in Mexico last week. Tomorrow will be spent on housecleaning and last minute grocery shopping for Christmas dinner, which I am hosting.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #13014
Moderator Emeritus

Got frustrated with my old mac's memory problems, so I bought a new iMac. Spending the day making sure everything works
No BASS Huntin'
Old 12-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #13015
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No BASS Huntin'

First full day of retirement ! Pulled out tackle box in utility room to see what I need to stock up on for better weather..

DW declared 'Don't expect me to go BASS HUNTING with you! had a good laugh and I didn't make a smart alec remark or get in trouble...
Old 12-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #13016
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, DW is working today and as practice for retirement next week, I went shopping early, baked a couple of dozen Chocolate Chip Raisin, sugar, and peanut butter cookies. My next item is to get veggie, pickle & olive, and cheese & meat trays setup for party tomorrow. Seems like a good start to the day, I will need to figure out dinner for tonight too.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #13017
Give me a forum ...

DW and I spent a couple hours at the local school kitchen helping prep for tomorrow's inaugural Community Christmas Dinner. I cleaned and cut turnips for a while and then was asked to run to the store to get a couple more turkeys. On the way to the store I went buy about a dozen wild turkeys just off the road (wish I had my gun but it is out of season).

Anyway, I sweet-talked the grocery store manager into an additional discount on two 20 lb turkeys to go with the three 40 lb turkeys already in the oven. I don't think we'll need the two 20 pounders, but the organizer thinks we will so we'll see tomorrow.

Off to BILs tonight for Christmas dinner, DS will stay here overnight and we'll go to the Community Christmas Dinner together tomorrow.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #13018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Another '77 college grad here. And I also have trouble finding anyone my age around here that is retired, except one former coworker (and I've been retired for four years now! ).
Old 12-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #13019
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Another '77 college grad here. And I also have trouble finding anyone my age around here that is retired, except one former coworker (and I've been retired for four years now! ).

I had a work colleague/friend who was able to retire at age 50 due to corporate pension enhancement and family money. He loved it other than he couldn't find anyone his own age to "play" with - all the folks his age were still working.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #13020

Steamed two dozen super-spicy home made chicken tamales.
Closed Thread