Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #13481
Recycles dryer sheets

Trying to figure out how to get everything I've laid out into my new backpack and not exceed 31' - the optimal poundage for my height/weight/gender.

On a slightly side note, if you had told me three years ago that I would get involved in backpacking after FIRE, I'd have laughed you out the door. And yet, here I stand all excited about our upcoming trip into the wilds. Crazy this FIRE thing!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #13482
Moderator Emeritus

Went to Lowes and purchased my plywood and studs to build my new workbench. While I was there chatting with the help, the Manager asked me if I wanted a part time job there.

Since I still consult to oil and gas clients part time, and can make in one hour what I could in a full day or longer at Lowes, I politely declined.

It is nice to be wanted (I think)..... (maybe next year I'll reconsider)
Old 03-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #13483
Dryer sheet aficionado

Caught a 32 inch snook, two 28 inch snook and a 15 lb black drum on 8 lb test on a self guided trip to Shark River in the Everglades.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:45 AM   #13484
Administrator

Yesterday I took DD and the two GKs to the airport for their return home after a 5 week long visit. We were happy to see them arrive, and just as happy to see them go.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:52 AM   #13485
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds good, Walt. Cold and windy here, so we settled for a mall walk, yesterday. Today looks better...
Old 03-13-2014, 07:54 AM   #13486

"On a slightly side note, if you had told me three years ago that I would get involved in backpacking after FIRE, I'd have laughed you out the door. And yet, here I stand all excited about our upcoming trip into the wilds. Crazy this FIRE thing! "

That's what we ER'd for...
Old 03-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #13487
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Yesterday I took DD and the two GKs to the airport for their return home after a 5 week long visit. We were happy to see them arrive, and just as happy to see them go.
Five weeks! You and the missus need a nap and a drink, not necessarily in that order.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM   #13488
Administrator

I spent the earlier part of this evening doing battle with a squirrel.

It all started last week, when I came in the house and found a squirrel sitting on top of the valance over one of the windows. I opened the door and chased him around with a broom until he ran back outside. Then I performed a thorough inspection to see how he got in. Couldn't find any holes big enough for a squirrel. Did he maybe sneak in when I left the door open to bring in groceries? It was quite a mystery, but he was outside now, so I forgot about it.

So today I come home from w*rk and go down in the cellar, where I discover . . . a squirrel. I get a broom and chase him around. Lo and behold, he jumps in the air mixing flapper for the furnace and runs up the chimney!

I recollect that there is no screen or anything on the top of the chimney pipe, so I get some hardware cloth and the tin snips to make a screen. I get out the 20 foot extension ladder and go up on the roof, where I create and install a very nice squirrel screen. While I'm up there, the ladder blows over and I'm stuck on the roof in the 25 degree weather. I stand up there for 15 minutes while it gets dark, and the wife finally comes out looking for me. After another 10 minutes or so of her wrestling with the ladder (she has never used one), she gets it back in place and I finally come back down.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #13489
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Took my motorhome to the tire store to get free recall tires from Michelin.

My small class C drives so nice when not towing the toad. On the drive today, I "opened up" the throttle to keep up with traffic . Yes, I could keep up with them as the vehicle's tanks were all empty. Having 7.4L of power helps, but my son will claim that his Audi has the same horse power!

Well, I doubt that his has the torque nor the endurance to power this MH with a toad in tow, on long hill climbs typically encountered on the highways here out west.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #13490
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
...While I'm up there, the ladder blows over and I'm stuck on the roof in the 25 degree weather...
Up at my high-country home, the wind is so strong and most importantly so gusty that it can blow the ladder over with me standing on it! And it can come all of a sudden.

I had to use ropes as guy wires for my ladder when I was doing exterior staining myself, as shown in an infamous photo posted a few years ago.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM   #13491
Moderator Emeritus

Friend's Honda 80 motor scooter stopped dead in its tracks on a local road today. He pushed it home. He called me and I stopped over with some tools and pulled the cover off the clutch/drive pulley and found this:

Not much drive belt left at 17,150 miles (on a Honda 80 scooter). Apparently, periodic maintenance is not in his vocabulary.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #13492

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Friend's Honda 80 motor scooter stopped dead in its tracks on a local road today. He pushed it home. He called me and I stopped over with some tools and pulled the cover off the clutch/drive pulley and found this:

Not much drive belt left at 17,150 miles (on a Honda 80 scooter). Apparently, periodic maintenance is not in his vocabulary.
That's a lot of miles on one of those little scooters.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #13493
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
That's a lot of miles on one of those little scooters.
Yes, and I am amazed that drive belt went the distance.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #13494
Give me a forum ...

Is it one of the bikes that use a belt in a continuously variable transmission? I have read about them, but have not had the chance to open one up to see.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #13495
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Is it one of the bikes that use a belt in a continuously variable transmission? I have read about them, but have not had the chance to open one up to see.
Yep and it has a 4 stroke air cooled engine. This one is a 2007 and is in overall nice shape for the miles (never been dropped, had some periodic maintenance, new tires):

This is it above.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:46 AM   #13496

Quote:
While I'm up there, the ladder blows over and I'm stuck on the roof in the 25 degree weather.
That's got to be a bad feeling. I'll make a note to myself to always have the cell phone with me when I go on the roof.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #13497
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I spent the earlier part of this evening doing battle with a squirrel.

It all started last week, when I came in the house and found a squirrel sitting on top of the valance over one of the windows. I opened the door and chased him around with a broom until he ran back outside. Then I performed a thorough inspection to see how he got in. Couldn't find any holes big enough for a squirrel. Did he maybe sneak in when I left the door open to bring in groceries? It was quite a mystery, but he was outside now, so I forgot about it.

So today I come home from w*rk and go down in the cellar, where I discover . . . a squirrel. I get a broom and chase him around. Lo and behold, he jumps in the air mixing flapper for the furnace and runs up the chimney!

I recollect that there is no screen or anything on the top of the chimney pipe, so I get some hardware cloth and the tin snips to make a screen. I get out the 20 foot extension ladder and go up on the roof, where I create and install a very nice squirrel screen. While I'm up there, the ladder blows over and I'm stuck on the roof in the 25 degree weather. I stand up there for 15 minutes while it gets dark, and the wife finally comes out looking for me. After another 10 minutes or so of her wrestling with the ladder (she has never used one), she gets it back in place and I finally come back down.

And the squirrel enjoyed the show from a nearby tree.

Really funny story except for the part about the temperature and the wind and the dark.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #13498
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's got to be a bad feeling. I'll make a note to myself to always have the cell phone with me when I go on the roof.
Even better - - don't go on the roof for any reason at all after about age 20 or so. Hire someone with safety equipment and experience to do these things. It's not worth the risk of ending up with a broken bone, especially now that medical costs can be so much higher than they once were.

I don't know what it is about men over a certain age - - so many seem absolutely determined to spend a lot of time up on the roof. Maybe they feel closer to their supreme being up there.

Not me - - I have owned my present house for 12 years and have never once been tempted to go up on the roof for anything at all. Amazingly, the world hasn't ended yet, for some reason. I think the only thing that could get me up on the roof would be floodwaters over about eight feet deep and that hasn't ever happened on my block.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:26 AM   #13499

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I don't know what it is about men over a certain age - - so many seem absolutely determined to spend a lot of time up on the roof. Maybe they feel closer to their supreme being up there.
When I owned a house, I used to love sitting on the roof and looking at the view. For me, it wasn't about feeling dominant, or anything like that, but it was part of my curiosity to know more about my house - and part of that was seeing it from all angles - the basement, the roof, any nook and cranny I could find. It was all part of "getting to know my house". Also, as I mentioned, the view from the roof was a unique view that I couldn't get from any other vantage point. When on the roof, I saw my neighborhood in a unique and (to me) interesting way.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #13500

Quote:
While I'm up there, the ladder blows over and I'm stuck on the roof in the 25 degree weather.
Had something similar happen about five or six years ago, but I was on the ladder at the time. No serious harm done (my childhood nickname wasn't "thick-headed Dutchman" for nothing), but ever since that time, I have made it a point to always have my phone in my pocket whenever I get on even a stepladder.
Closed Thread