Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #13541
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yesterday we went to the library, after which we were going to hike some, and had a healthy supper planned. At the library, I saw a copy of a Terry Pratchetts new book. I checked it out, walked to Krogers for chips, dip, salsa, buffalo wings and a bottle of diet Pepsi lol. The rest of the day's plans were shot.

Did better today, as I cleaned off the bikes and we began our bicycling season.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #13542
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My router died, so I'm out of action for a while. This is a rare occasion I am on a desktop. In the meantime, here's an NPR concert from Nellie McKay that is the reason I became a fan. I first heard this while eating a bag lunch at a local lake. By the second song, I thought "whoa! What have we got here?".

People either "get" her, or they don't. I do. Her style is a combination of jazz, cabaret, Broadway, pop, rock, and rap. A couple of caveats: there's some "explicit language" on this (but she pulls it off), and it's pretty long - over 2 hours - but I think worth it.

Crazy Cool: Nellie McKay in Concert : NPR

Old 03-23-2014, 04:39 AM   #13543
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yesterday I spent the day at a class to learn how to shear alpacas. We usually have someone come in to do our 7 guys but wanted to know a bit more about the process and be ready in case I had to do it myself sometime. It was a lot of fun and if I could find/borrow the equipment, I think I could do it but wouldn't want to make a living this way.

The teacher of the class shears over 4,000 alpacas each year.
what did you do today?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #13544

what did you do today?

Spent yesterday offering support to our son as he auditioned for a different production company. On the way home today, test drove a couple of EVs: the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt. They're kind of neat. DWs car is 5 years old, and ready for the major repair stage as components start needing replacement so we're thinking about a lease. The basic decision is between the all electric Leaf, with about a 100 mile range ( before battery degradation begins) and the more expensive Volt, which goes about 38 miles on electric, then has a gas engine kick in to power the electric motor - a total range of about 340 miles for about $5 k more. Decisions, decisions...
Old 03-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #13545

Brought 5 gallons (of 10 gallons) of an oatmeal stout to a festival (in exchange for free entry). My first post retirement batch! Didn't need to hang around the brewing club booths (could have gone to sample commercial brews), but didn't... more fun hanging around your buddies, yes? I did sit-in on a flawed beer tasting (diacityl, skunk, oxydized), so that was painful, but also got in on a 6 year vertical of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot!
Old 03-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #13546
Moderator Emeritus

Our local amateur radio club just did a radio survey around town, to figure out realistic radio coverage and equipment requirements for our emergency support operations. This entailed a bunch of us driving to a number of locations and calling a central station with a variety of equipment.

So, I got to spend a few hours cruising around town in the Miata and playing with radios...
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #13547

So now you know which how many bars get a good signal? Lol
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #13548
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
....The teacher of the class shears over 4,000 alpacas each year.
11 a day 365 days a year?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #13549
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Spent yesterday offering support to our son as he auditioned for a different production company. On the way home today, test drove a couple of EVs: the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Volt. They're kind of neat. DWs car is 5 years old, and ready for the major repair stage as components start needing replacement so we're thinking about a lease. The basic decision is between the all electric Leaf, with about a 100 mile range ( before battery degradation begins) and the more expensive Volt, which goes about 38 miles on electric, then has a gas engine kick in to power the electric motor - a total range of about 340 miles for about $5 k more. Decisions, decisions...
I think I would have frequent range anxiety with the Leaf but not with the Volt.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-24-2014, 09:32 PM   #13550
Gone but not forgotten

We just got back from a week -end at Cape Kennedy space center . It was very interesting seeing the launch pad & the shuttle Atlantis plus the Imax film on repairing the Hubble telescope was amazing . Good week-end !
Old 03-24-2014, 10:08 PM   #13551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We just got back from a week -end at Cape Kennedy space center . It was very interesting seeing the launch pad & the shuttle Atlantis plus the Imax film on repairing the Hubble telescope was amazing . Good week-end !
I'm envious - sounds like a great trip!

Old 03-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #13552

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Running errands this afternoon. I stopped by the local post office and bought some Jimi Hendrix forever stamps.
Took the clue and picked up a bunch on my trip yesterday into the big city. Very nice.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #13553
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think I would have frequent range anxiety with the Leaf but not with the Volt.
Me, too. I'd think the Volt was the better option because otherwise you need a second car for long trips.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #13554
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Same here.

Haven't seen the Leaf in person but I did have a chance to check out the Volt. I really liked it but it is sorely lacking when it comes to headroom in the rear seats, and I'm not tall. Wouldn't think anyone larger than a couple of middle school age kids could be comfortable back there.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #13555
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
.......... Wouldn't think anyone larger than a couple of middle school age kids could be comfortable back there.
You say this like it is a bad thing...
Old 03-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #13556

We also test drove the Ford hybrids today. Nice cars but no battery only mode ( they didn't have the Energi). Personally, I want the car for local only driving - no gas usage - and either the Volt or Leaf would work. We like the ergonomics of the Leaf better, and it has more zip. DW wants to make the drive from Cincinnati to Columbus with it. The Leaf would require a 20 minute quick charge on both legs. The Volt, no problem. I'd rather have something larger on the highway other than a compact size vehicle - like my truck - and not worry about fuel milage. Other than the occasional Columbus treks, and Rv trips, we could generally drive gas free.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:52 PM   #13557

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
We also test drove the Ford hybrids today. Nice cars but no battery only mode ( they didn't have the Energi). Personally, I want the car for local only driving - no gas usage - and either the Volt or Leaf would work. We like the ergonomics of the Leaf better, and it has more zip. DW wants to make the drive from Cincinnati to Columbus with it. The Leaf would require a 20 minute quick charge on both legs. The Volt, no problem. I'd rather have something larger on the highway other than a compact size vehicle - like my truck - and not worry about fuel milage. Other than the occasional Columbus treks, and Rv trips, we could generally drive gas free.
Prius has a plug-in model this year. It is only good for 11 miles, but for a lot of retirees that would do for a lot of the around town driving. If you have never experienced a Prius, they aren't bad on the road. My DD has an older Prius with over 100k miles on it. Runs like a top. No major mechanical issues. I don't think the plug-in Prius is much cheaper than the Leaf, so that wouldn't be a major point, but if you tried the Ford, you might want to try the Prius.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:59 AM   #13558
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
11 a day 365 days a year?
I've been at a local shearing where he did 150 alpacas in two days and the shearing season lasts quite a few months. He starts down south as the weather warms up and works his way back north. Maybe some sheep and goats are included in that number as well and I misundertood how many alpacas it included. Many farms have more than one type of animal so that might contribute to the count but had no reason to doubt the number. Maybe you have experience that says otherwise.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #13559

Thanks Hermit. My wife drove a friends Prius to Cleveland from Cincinnati, and she didn't like the ergonomics as much. My brother also gets the Ford employee discount, so that helps.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:10 PM   #13560

I met up for coffee with another member of this forum. That was fun!
Closed Thread