Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #13981
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Nice selfie!
LOL!! Thanks. I think you would have a hard time identifying me in a lineup from my reflection in that photo, so I guess that in a sense, it's a tease.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #13982
Full time employment: Posting here.

Watered the garden, vacuumed...I have spring fever! Time for lunch and a nap.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #13983
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cleaned the truck and camper interiors, getting them ready to pack.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #13984

Went on a 4 mile hike in Sloan Canyon. It was the first really hot day here at 95 and windy. Drank almost 2 liters of water in just over an hour.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #13985

After 8 years of caring for MIL DW and I spent the day moving her bed and what would fit into her new assisted living home. Currently in rehab after third hospitalization since Christmas for falls. Not happy about it one bit but tough. We provided a lake view suite with free room and board for 8 years plus I'd guess an average of 3 hours a day care from DW. We are done.

What's interesting is she's turned on us, lashing out. Totally disregards what we did for her for the last 8 years.

So we are tired and it's been a stressful week. But the good news is now we will have our freedom. Three years of boat anchored retirement wasn't all that fun.

So that's what WE did today: preparing for freedom. And no matter what she thinks or says, we know we're good people.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #13986
Gone but not forgotten

H2O dude , You & your wife are saints ignore the MIL.She was lucky to have had the care for all those years .
Old 05-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #13987
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
H2O dude , You & your wife are saints ignore the MIL.She was lucky to have had the care for all those years .
+1
When DF had to go into assisted living, he turned on my sister. She had cared for him the prior 4 years in her home. I think maybe it's a more common reaction than we know.
MRG
Old 05-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #13988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Absolutely right.
If things go in the way they went in the case of my mother and another woman I knew, it will be only a matter of months until her interactions with others in the AL facility will wake her up to the fact that she has (and had) it very good indeed.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #13989

Thanks, appreciate the sentiments Moemg, Braumeister, and MRG. We know we've done more than most and are glad we did, but it's just time to enjoy what we worked and saved for all those years. I frankly don't like this woman any more and am surprised how my wife has FINALLY gotten fed up with it. Honestly, if she had shown some semblance of gratitude and respect for us, and listened to us about not doing stupid things with her walker which always resulted in her falls, we might actually still have her and really not mind that much. But her selfish attitudes and failure to watch her safety basically did her in. We're cool with it and glad to move on. She's 88 and survived two kinds of cancer, bad arthritis in spine and scoliosis, we did our part.

We talk a lot on this forum about making good decisions and how they affect our lives. Her worst decision was to divorce DW's father in her late 30's, a truly great guy. None of us know quite why other than she wanted to spend more of his money and have a better lifestyle; he was quite a successful attorney. She followed that with two failed marriages to same guy, pretty low paid jobs she just got by on. Will give her that she worked retail until 80 when back sort of gave out. Point is her life could have turned out much better but for that divorce IMO. I know a divorce can be unavoidable but they sure can trash one's finances and future.

Carry on! Life is good! Now to find a dog sitter for our three to come stay with them while we does some traveling'! DD has our 4 grandchildren in London and DS is expecting one in Tanzania, so we have places to go! I'm channeling Mel Gibson in Braveheart....FREEDOM!!!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #13990
Moderator Emeritus

H20Dude: Glad to hear you two are freed up. I think your MIL will be better off in that new environment.

Today, I did the following;

1. Replaced broken driver's door handle in DD's 2010 Ford Fusion.

2. Cut grass, trimmed bushes, installed a hose hanger on the back wall.

3. Changed the oil & filter in my Jetta Diesel.

4, Changed the remaining filters in my Jetta (air, cabin, fuel).

5. Started a "wood project" for the DW (window valence - 119" long). Need to rip some plywood next, but saving that for tomorrow.

Whew!
Old 05-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #13991
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Nice selfie!
And if that is a new blouse the color is very flattering !
Old 05-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #13992
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Il Est Libre Max / He Is Free Max

Il met de la magie mine de rien dans tout ce qu'il fait / He somehow puts magic in everything that he does
Il a le sourire facile, même pour les imbéciles / He has the easy smile, same as sported by fools
Il s'amuse bien, il tombe jamais dans les pièges / He plays well, he never falls into traps
Il se laisse pas étourdir par les néons des manèges / He does not get dazzled by neon signs of carousels
Il vit sa vie sans s'occuper des grimaces / He lives his life without the frowning
Que font autour de lui les poissons dans la nasse / Of those around him, those fish caught in a net

Refrain
Il est libre Max / He is free Max
Il est libre Max / He is free Max
Y'en a même qui disent qu'ils l'ont vu voler / There are even people who say they saw him fly

Il travaille un petit peu quand son corps est d'accord / He works a little when his body agrees to it
Pour lui faut pas s'en faire, il sait doser son effort / For he does not push hard, he paces himself
Dans le panier de crabes, il joue pas les homards / In a basket of crabs, he does not pretend to be a lobster
Il cherche pas à tout prix à faire des bulles dans la mare / He does not stir up trouble at all cost

Refrain

Il regarde autour de lui avec les yeux de l'amour / He looks around him with eyes of love
Avant que t'aies rien pu dire, il t'aime déjà au départ / Before you can say something, he already loves you
Il fait pas de bruit, il joue pas du tambour/ He raises no ruckus, he does not beat on a drum
Mais la statue de marbre lui sourit dans la cour / But the marble statue in the court smiles at him

Refrain

Et bien sûr toutes les filles lui font leurs yeux de velours / And surely all the girls had velvet eyes for him
Lui pour leur faire plaisir il leur raconte des histoires / To please them, he tells them stories
Il les emmène par-delà les labours / He takes them beyond the plowed field
Chevaucher les licornes à la tombée du soir / Riding unicorns until night fall

Refrain

Comme il a pas d'argent pour faire le grand voyageur / Because he has no money to be a great traveler
Il va parler souvent aux habitants de son coeur / He talks often to people in his heart
Qu'est-ce qu'ils se racontent, c'est ça qu'il faudrait savoir / What they tell him is what he needs to know
Pour avoir comme lui autant d'amour dans le regard / To have as much love as he does

Refrain

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #13993

Spent the day with DW exploring Lembongan island...a small island south of Bali on a rented motorbike. Took a boat tour of a mangrove swamp. Ended the day with a sunset, beer, and grilled mahi-mahi.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #13994

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Spent the day with DW exploring Lembongan island...a small island south of Bali on a rented motorbike. Took a boat tour of a mangrove swamp. Ended the day with a sunset, beer, and grilled mahi-mahi.

Wow, I'm thinking it doesn't get much better than that!
what did you do today?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #13995

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
After 8 years of caring for MIL DW and I spent the day moving her bed and what would fit into her new assisted living home. Currently in rehab after third hospitalization since Christmas for falls. Not happy about it one bit but tough. We provided a lake view suite with free room and board for 8 years plus I'd guess an average of 3 hours a day care from DW. We are done.

What's interesting is she's turned on us, lashing out. Totally disregards what we did for her for the last 8 years.

So we are tired and it's been a stressful week. But the good news is now we will have our freedom. Three years of boat anchored retirement wasn't all that fun.

So that's what WE did today: preparing for freedom. And no matter what she thinks or says, we know we're good people.

There comes a time you can no longer care for a loved one - they need more than family can provide. You did well. The move is better for your MIL, and I think she will end up appreciating it. It's just tough on her, as well, to be making such a drastic change, and people fear change. So don't be hurt that she's lashing out. We went through Alzheimer's with DWs mom, and that incorporates a character change in patients. Enjoy your time together with your wife, and don't let feelings of guilt get to you. You ARE good people.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #13996
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post

That's much better than I did, fixing things....I've spent a fair amount of time in Bali and it's quite the adventure.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:43 PM   #13997

Grilled some ribeyes on the BGE. Enjoyed with a piece of sweet corn and a nice Malbec.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:33 AM   #13998

One of DW's cousins hosted a backyard BBQ yesterday in Bowie, MD. A few of his friends compete in local BBQ contests. Suffice it to say no one went hungry.

Also her niece stopped by with her five-week-old son. DW got to hold him for a while.

Gotta love that banner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBQ-1.jpg (151.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ-2.jpg (169.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg BBQ-3.jpg (232.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Rex.jpg (111.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #13999

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Lived through the first 100F day of the year. My thermometer says it's currently 101 outside...
Since I haven't paid attention to the weather down south, didn't know you had already reached triple digits. We've had unusual cool weather in DFW, but it's predicted to reach mid 90s today.

Sent from my AT100 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #14000
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Gave blood: #191
Spent rest of day watching birds and websurfing.
Awesome! Ever think about how many people you have impacted? Don't they say that one pint of blood can help multiple recipients? Good work
Closed Thread