Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #14021
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Congratulations!!! So what's the new ride?
Came down to a Tesla S85 or a Hyundai Elantra GT. Turns out there was a reason that I was able to FIRE - went with the Elantra GT.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:20 PM   #14022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Came down to a Tesla S85 or a Hyundai Elantra GT. Turns out there was a reason that I was able to FIRE - went with the Elantra GT.
LOL. I looked at Tesla before buying Hyundai Azera. At least they were closer in price range. You can buy 4 Elantras vs 1 Tesla, I think.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #14023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Faster, faster - you have to get through Dexter faster. The series finale is great!
... can't ... go ... any ... faster without sacrificing more sleep. I wish we don't have to sleep so much .
Old 05-06-2014, 05:42 PM   #14024

Gym day with DW, the earliest we've ever been there. 9:00 AM.

Then drove up to PA to take "the tour" of a CCRC there for a few hours, went to lunch, and then drove home. We'll fill out the application and mail the $100 deposit. That is not a commitment. All it does is get us on the waiting list, which is then filed by date of application. When a unit becomes available, about every two or three years, they start calling down the list until someone accepts. We'll be perhaps seriously thinking about accepting in about five years or so.

The one who is number one on the list applied in 1998. Every time they call he says "Not yet".
Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #14025
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Voted.
Laundry on the line.
First barefoot day.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #14026

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
LOL. I looked at Tesla before buying Hyundai Azera. At least they were closer in price range. You can buy 4 Elantras vs 1 Tesla, I think.
That's about the right exchange rate!
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #14027

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
WOW, talk about opposites. Hope you're enjoying your new ride and the fuel savings.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 AM   #14028

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
I am recovering from yesterday's hike. Eight miles of steep terrain with a heavy backpack. But the view from the top was worth it!
Two great days! One day carrying the backpack up and down the mountain, and the next feeling good about having done it yesterday and being glad you don't have to do it again today! :thumbup:

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #14029
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Had our daily coffee on the bluff. It was 50 degrees, but the sun was warm enough to take off my shirt and get some Vitamin D and Nitrates. We watched a California Gray whale and her calf feeding about as close as the breaking wave on the left side of the photo. Each time they surfaced, there would be a big spout and little one.

My poor neighbor had to see us out there as he left on his 60 mile commute to work.

This is where we have coffee every day (if it's not raining). It looks like we're right at the edge of the cliff, but we are a healthy distance back. Our neighbor's house used to be there, but because of erosion they had to pick it up and move it across the street (and boy, were their arms tired!).

Old 05-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #14030
Give me a forum ...

Loaded four big garden bags with leaves and other debris and left it to be hauled away to the compost place by the local community gardeners. Still have at least four more of the big bags to fill before the back is presentable.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #14031
Give me a forum ...

Wow, I did not know T-Al's home is so close to the shore. Next time I pass by this area in my RV, will be on the lookout for him. If I see him, will park my RV and do one better by preparing a breakfast with eggs and bacon right on the spot, not just drinking coffee.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #14032
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Wow, I did not know T-Al's home is so close to the shore. Next time I pass by this area in my RV, will be on the lookout for him. If I see him, will park my RV and do one better by preparing a breakfast with eggs and bacon right on the spot, not just drinking coffee.
Harrumph! I have a 360 degree vista of subdivision... But I drink a lot of coffee, and like eggs and bacon.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #14033
Moderator Emeritus

Got a new iPhone 5s, an oil change and potting soil, put the boat in the lake, and watched these guys on an 85 degree afternoon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140507-DSC_0567.jpg (279.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #14034
Give me a forum ...

Went and had lunch with a couple of Megacorp buddies. On my way home there was a guy selling fresh morels. Guess what's for dinner?
MRG
Old 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #14035
Recycles dryer sheets

We're traveling around the Southwest in our RV, and today I think we had the 'perfect' Santa Fe day. We went on a Historic Walking Tour, had lunch at The Shed, took a docent tour at the Georgia O'Keefe Museum, and finished off the day with margaritas and appetizers at the Bell Tower Bar in the La Fonda Hotel. The day ended rather chilly, so we enjoyed our drinks on the 5th floor Bell Tower balcony sitting in front of a fire while wrapped in brightly colored Mexican blankets the hotel provided. And because this is a w#*kday, we had the bar to ourselves.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:23 PM   #14036
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
We watched a California Gray whale and her calf feeding about as close as the breaking wave on the left side of the photo. Each time they surfaced, there would be a big spout and little one.
When they slide by my place here shortly looking for some ghost shrimp dinner... they will be Washington Gray whales.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #14037

Went to the doctor today. As the assistant was taking my vitals, in preparation for the main doctor's visit, the conversation went something like this -

Doctor's assistant - "You're on blood-pressure medication right?"
Me - "No. Why, should I be?"
Doctor's assistant - "No, it's just that usually when I see a patient of your age with blood pressure in this range, it's because they're on medication. You have an athletic pulse rate, you know."
Me - "Oh, that's cool" (but I was sitting there feeling pretty happy with myself for having ridden a bicycle as my sole form of transport daily for the last 12 years.)

My heart rate is 54, which I guess is pretty good. Looks like a life of bicycle riding, red wine drinking, and kitty cuddling is doing me good!

Being too cheap to buy a car can actually have health benefits too

Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 AM   #14038

Last night was the first of four classes in "Nature and Wildlife Photography". It was all classroom discussion and as I expected much of it at beginner level. There was discussion of the shutter speeds needed to "stop action" of a hummingbird's wings with the conclusion as explained here that you need a high-speed flash. Shutter speed alone with a normal camera won't do it.

Because it's a community college adult ed non-credit class and only 2-3 hours long the definition of "wildlife" may be stretched a bit. We'll be shooting at a farm the next two weeks. He's set up several bird feeders to attracts those and perhaps some squirrels.

And of course this class gave me an excuse to order a Better Beamer flash extender when I got home.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:25 AM   #14039
Moderator Emeritus

I went on a 10-mile walk around town. So far this week, I am averaging about 20,000 steps a day. Not bad. I like how those long, solitary walks help to clear up my mind. And I get to experiment with my new camera along the way. When I came back home, I found out that my computer backup drive had failed. So I ordered a new 2TB one on Amazon using credit card points. I had been craving homemade burgers and jerk fries for a while, so that's what I made for dinner. After dinner, I started working on a new watercolor. My throat is slightly sore tonight so I am medicating with plenty of hot tea spiked with lemon and honey.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:21 AM   #14040

Traveled in to the City (SF) to meet a guy who had a camera (an X100) for sale. It was a really good deal, with a lot of good accessories, and a very fair price. However, picky old me couldn't get past the few surface scratches on the body and the LCD screen. On top of that, it seems to be more menu driven than my DSLR. While sitting in the coffee shop, I couldn't figure out how it all worked and couldn't help thinking that if I got it home and something wasn't working, I had no comeback - as it was a cash sale from Craigslist.

I decided to go with my gut and pass on it. On the way back home, stuffed all the cash back in the bank and realized what a miser I have become, as it felt good to be putting that money back in my account.

The most I can get myself to spend on photography was the $43 I spent on 2 new batteries and a new shoulder strap for my DSLR this last week.

If I turn into an old guy with millions in the bank who cannot bring himself to spend a bit of cash on having fun, will someone from this forum please put me out of my misery?

Closed Thread