Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #14261
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent a few days at Moosehead Lake in Maine, and got some paddling in our canoe done. Yes, met a moose. Learned some lessons about black flies that were painful. Realized today I have been retired exactly one year. Time flies...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #14262

We received a wonderful letter from the power company that they will reimburse us for all electrical damage from the lightning strike. They include a simple form to fill out listing what was damaged and what the cost is to fix or replace.

I didn't see that one coming!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:09 PM   #14263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Spent a few days at Moosehead Lake in Maine, and got some paddling in our canoe done. Yes, met a moose. Learned some lessons about black flies that were painful. Realized today I have been retired exactly one year. Time flies...
Many years ago had earthquake sensors to service in Vermont and the Adirondack region of NY state. I never went for service trips unitl after mid September. By then the black flies went to sleep. Nasty buggers they are.

Congrats on the anniversary.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #14264
Give me a forum ...

We had coffee on the patio in the morning in our lounge chairs, sitting in the sun watching the birds and squirrels. There were four deer, including a fawn, grazing out behind the fence, though their turkey friend wasn't with them this time. I hope he found some other actual turkeys to hang out with. I do feel bad for him wandering around alone or trying to fit in with the deer as I think turkeys are social animals. In the past we have sometimes found them on our car hoods trying to socialize with their reflections in the windshield. (If you ever need a good reason for being late for work or an appointment, try there was a wild turkey on my car hood.)

We took the dog for a walk and then had lunch out at a Mexican restaurant with a buy one get one free coupon from the Entertainment book.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #14265
Moderator Emeritus

Watched the tree guys take down a big cottonwood, and organized my router bits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140603-DSC01051.jpg (1.14 MB, 32 views)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #14266
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We received a wonderful letter from the power company that they will reimburse us for all electrical damage from the lightning strike. They include a simple form to fill out listing what was damaged and what the cost is to fix or replace.

I didn't see that one coming!
Walt, pinch yourself to see if this letter was really a dream!

(that' great!)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #14267
Moderator Emeritus

Cut and edged my grass, then went to DD's house and cut and edged hers. Then killed a few thousand fire ants (in hills). It was 88F and very humid out there.

Start of the "living in the Great Swamp and Sweating season". No day over 90F yet.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #14268
Recycles dryer sheets

Ls99- beautiful foot rest you made!! And how much did you pay your chiropractor to straighten out your spine after wrestling with that log?! Just kidding...
Old 06-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #14269
Full time employment: Posting here.

Two new alpacas arrived today, Arthur and Aries (the two white ones with blue halters), both around 2 years old. They should fit in with the other 7 boys just fine. These two have been together since birth so we brought them here together as we didn't want to break them up.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:23 AM   #14270
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Two new alpacas arrived today, Arthur and Aries (the two white ones with blue halters), both around 2 years old. They should fit in with the other 7 boys just fine. These two have been together since birth so we brought them here together as we didn't want to break them up.
Too cute for words!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #14271
Moderator Emeritus

Studying and learning a new programming language, Swift. This one is pretty easy, a nice clean modern language.

I don't know why I have so much trouble with human languages. Binary incompatibility, probably...
Old 06-05-2014, 04:07 AM   #14272
Administrator

Went to the beach yesterday. Probably our last visit this season as we prepare to migrate north.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #14273
Give me a forum ...

The Blue Angels precision flying circus is in the next town practicing for this weekend's air show. Making a hell of a racket, causing traffic jams with rubberneckers, and a few cars have ran off into the ditches trying to watch the fast moving FA18 Hornets.

Awsome flying skills. Their practice runs make for better show than the real show, which I will skip.

In other news, scored a George Benson casette in perfect condition at Goodwill, 25 cents.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:07 PM   #14274
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post

Cute. I guess the older one is asking, do you boys speak Alpaca?
Old 06-05-2014, 03:30 PM   #14275

First time I've been home all day in a week. Left last Thursday to visit DS who had tonsils and sinus surgery Friday morning - he realized a few days before that having Mom take him to the surgical center, bring him home, get prescriptions and groceries, etc., would be a good idea. All went well and I drove home Saturday afternoon. Then DD informed me that she wanted to leave a day early for our drive to NOLA, stopping in Houston to visit one of her uncles and sell him back a guitar she had bought from him several years ago. Also she had previously neglected to inform me that her truck did not have A/C. But we had a great trip anyway and I flew home yesterday while she continued her cross-country journey (she's moving from Portland to give life in the Big Apple a try).

Had an early a.m. board committee meeting downtown (my once a month reminder of just how horrible rush hour traffic is). Then came home and caught up on a week of e-mails (I mostly had just glanced at them on my phone), paid bills, and took care of some to-dos for various volunteer roles. Set up the new Breville Smart Oven (see this thread) Started tidying the house as I'm hosting a bridal shower Sunday for the son and fiancée of a friend, and I'll be gone all day tomorrow for a volunteer meeting. Then decided I should go out and order the flowers and get the shower gift today. Finally accomplished enough that my reward is catching up with all the good folks here at ER.org!!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #14276
Give me a forum ...

Frank and I had a delightful lunch together. Then we made a "Goodwill run" to drop off donations. I brought my old stainless flatware now that I bought new stainless , and he brought some old clothes and various things.

In other words, another nice, quiet, peaceful day of retirement.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #14277
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Cute. I guess the older one is asking, do you boys speak Alpaca?
There is a lot of excitement when new guys join the herd! a lot of humming and whining along with some spitting if they don't hit it off right away, these guys fit right in so far.

The brown one in the picture is only a few months older than the two new ones- part of the reason their previous owners asked us to take them was because they were so small, they were kept in a separate area and they needed the space back for others. We have 9 animals and they generally run towards the smaller end of the size range for alpacas.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #14278

We moved back into the 21st century, the A/C is now working and my tower PC is back home.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:03 PM   #14279
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We moved back into the 21st century, the A/C is now working and my tower PC is back home.
Wonderful! Nothing like a nice cool home in the heat of summer.

As for us, we went to the gym and lunch together as usual. Last night he innocently put $5 into a video poker machine, and won $680. The man has more luck than anybody I have ever met! After lunch we stopped by to collect his winnings. He smiled all afternoon.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 06-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #14280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Congratulations Walt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wonderful! Nothing like a nice cool home in the heat of summer.

As for us, we went to the gym and lunch together as usual. Last night he innocently put $5 into a video poker machine, and won $680. The man has more luck than anybody I have ever met! After lunch we stopped by to collect his winnings. He smiled all afternoon.
...and congratulations to Frank too!

--------------------

Today I decided I will no longer dye my hair. Silver hair growth has been greatly accelerating the last few months, and I'm giving in...

My decision is kind of scary and exciting at the same time.