what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, free money is a good thing.

Sprayed weed killer around the yard.

Set up a wireless router. Now DW can putz around on the other computer while I'm busy doing important stuff on this one.

Couldn't take another 100 degree day here in the east bay in my non-AC flat, so decided to go to the beach. :)
Weather in Half Moon Bay (south of SF) said foggy and 60--too cold!
Decided to drive to Stinson Beach (in Marin County north of SF). It was 75 with just a touch of the marine layer drifting on shore. Just right.
Took me an hour and a half to drive there, even on a Monday morning after rush hour, but it was worth it. If I had left an hour later (11am) it would have taken longer. Other folks had the same idea as I did to escape the heat.
Drove back through the city around 2pm. The Golden Gate was fogged in, but the city was sunny.
Still 100 here in Lafayette. :nonono: Hope the onshore winds pick up tomorrow.
So glad I can take these spur of the moment little trips during the week!

Just finished a leisurely drive from S. Fl to Chicago. Our highway infrastructure is amazing. It's also in pretty good shape, and maintenance budgets seem to be picking up again.

Anyone thinking the economy is slowing needs to take a drive on a highway. We saw more autotruck transports this trip than any time since '06. Also saw something new: a huge RV with a Hummer in tow.

Had a nice half day hike up a trail in NM. Great View. Seems I am in better physical shape than I though, which is good, considering the plans I have for later in the summer.

DW and I rose early to meet the Bennington boat dealer and take a demo ride on the river.. beautiful, quiet morning on the Brazos river in central Texas... looks like we have a boat in our near term future. DW loved it and I feel the need to fish! :dance:

Attachments

• vp3469643_5_large.jpg
    vp3469643_5_large.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 17
"So bye-bye, Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levee, but the levee was dry"

Oops, wrong song!

'toons have come a long way in the last 10 years or so... pretty nice boats. I know they are just 'holes in the water to throw money in' but since we're not interested in traveling abroad or taking a cruise, we'll just cruise around the lake a bit.

'toons have come a long way in the last 10 years or so... pretty nice boats. I know they are just 'holes in the water to throw money in' but since we're not interested in traveling abroad or taking a cruise, we'll just cruise around the lake a bit.

Haven't owned a 'toon, but have researched them a bit. I like the Suncruiser models, at least the ones with aluminum decks.

But, like ReWahoo, the lakes are all dry around here...

Tailgate, if you haven't considered it already be sure to shop used boats. There should be some real bargains in the Texas market about now. We bought our gently used pontoon boat used, kept it for five years and sold it for almost what we paid for it.

REwahoo, there are tons of great deals on bass boats and v hulls..not so many good pontoons that are in good shape. I know I'll take a hit on depreciation, but a Bennington has a 7 year front to back warranty..motor has 3 years. That's some peace of mind with a new product. Granted, if I found the right used toon, I'd go for it.

We drive past a cemetery on the way to and from the gym. I like photographing flowers, and sometimes pay actual money for the flowers.

It dawned on me that people put fresh flowers on graves and I could simply go there and photograph them. The flowers, not the graves. DW says that's weird and somehow not right.

As long as I don't touch, disturb, molest, mutilate, fold or spindle the flowers, would it be somehow disrespectful or offensive to the dearly departed or their relatives if I photographed the flowers?

We drive past a cemetery on the way to and from the gym. I like photographing flowers, and sometimes pay actual money for the flowers.

It dawned on me that people put fresh flowers on graves and I could simply go there and photograph them. The flowers, not the graves. DW says that's weird and somehow not right.

As long as I don't touch, disturb, molest, mutilate, fold or spindle the flowers, would it be somehow disrespectful or offensive to the dearly departed or their relatives if I photographed the flowers?

Walt, if you do it in a respectful manner, I think it would be fine. If I had put flowers on the grave of a loved one, it would make me happy to think that they are beautiful enough for someone to stop and photograph them. It's a compliment to whoever chose the flowers, IMO.

BUT - - that said, I wouldn't talk, laugh, or behave any differently than you would in church while you are taking the pictures, out of deference to the possibly still tender feelings of the bereaved should they wander by.

(signed: W2R, a.k.a. The Emily Post of Early Retirement)

I have business in town, and needed to drive down from the "mountain" home. Yesterday, at 6PM, wife said "How about driving down now to avoid the heat, instead of during the day tomorrow?". So we just jumped in our car and took off. Came back into town near 9PM, and it was not too bad.

Today, I just came back from an errand in the middle of the day, and boy oh boy, it is HOT! The temperature is 109F, same as when we left, but the dew point has moved up from 20F to 48F. Could that make that much of a difference, or was it caused by my being reconditioned to the cool air at high elevation so quickly?

Anyway, how can people live in places with temperature in the 100+F, and with the dew point nearly as high? I would die of heat stroke.

No, I think it shows your admiration of the flowers and respect for the people who put them there.

Last edited:
You would love Qatar in July, 115 -/+ and mid 80s dew point. Who knew jeans could weight that much?

You would love Qatar in July, 115 -/+ and mid 80s dew point. Who knew jeans could weight that much?
When it is soaking wet with sweat, I can imagine that.

Not too long ago, a poster complained that it was hot in Hanoi where he was visiting. So, I looked it up out of curiosity. Temperature of 109F same as here, but with humidity in the 90%. ARGHHH! :dead:

PS. My wife already wants to go back to the high-country boonies home on Thursday, as we no longer need to be in town.

Last edited:

Nice looking boat! We have a pontoon and it's not the money pit that most people think. I spend less than $200 a year in gas and maintenance cruising around a couple of times a week during the summer

Not too long ago, a poster complained that it was hot in Hanoi where he was visiting. So, I looked it up out of curiosity. Temperature of 109F same as here, but with humidity in the 90%. ARGHHH! :dead:

Won two all expense paid cruises in the Gulf of Tonkin, the flight deck always seemed to have a nice breeze though. It is a sunny 58.8 degrees here with a light offshore breeze funneling down the straits today. Mowing, cutting hedges back....

Last edited by a moderator:
Won two all expense paid cruises in the Gulf of Tonkin, the flight deck always seemed to have a nice breeze though...

I do not know about food, drink, and room service on your cruise, but I am sure it beat a long vacation some got booked at the Hilton for the land package.

Finally got off my butt, went to the SSA.gov site to download the benefit calculator, then spent two hours to round up my tax records and entered in the income data. It should not take that long, except that 3 annual tax folders were misplaced and had to be looked for.

Now, I know how much we will be getting, whenever we want to claim it after 62. I entered some tentative SS benefits into FIRECalc, then tweaked the WR until the point of failure instead of the conservative WR I am spending now.

Result: I can immediately spend $65K/yr more than what I do now. OK. I am not going out to buy a Tesla or anything. It's just nice to know. That's all.

PS. No, it's not going to be as high as $65K after tax. The gummint will relieve me of some of that money.

Last edited:
Went to the cemetery to photograph flowers. Stopped by their office to make sure it was okay with them and not offensive to anyone.

Then found out all are silk or at least the dozen or so that I looked at.:facepalm: But one doesn't notice until within an arm's length.

Somebody has a good business making silk flower arrangements - I saw no duplicates.

Attachments

• silk_flower.jpg
    silk_flower.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 17
:LOL: Oh Walt! Could it be time for you to get an appointment for an eye exam to update your prescription glasses?

Got a letter from my insurance company, that administers the FEMA flood insurance on my house. The letter said that my annual flood insurance premium, due next month, would be increased by 25% if within two weeks I didn't provide any one of several listed documents which would serve as proof that I am living in my home. One of these proofs that I could provide, was the auto insurance card this same insurance company just sent me. :facepalm: :ROFLMAO:

So, I called my insurance agent's office and got that straightened out. Sometimes I think the world has gone looney-tunes while we weren't looking.

I do not know about food, drink, and room service on your cruise, but I am sure it beat a long vacation some got booked at the Hilton for the land package.

Quite a few of the gents that switched to the Hilton accommodations were on day excursions from the cruise.

Ok, enough with what I did yesteryear posting on the, what did you do today thread. Coffee so far, will head out soon for another round with my new EGO 56V Lithium Hedge Trimmer. I’m impressed so far, cordless may be best for some applications.

Attachments

• Connie at Sunset.jpg
    Connie at Sunset.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Yes, I forgot that travel by air is the most expedient way to many exotic places. And with the total land-sea-air package, one usually gets the extended stay with no extra charges. It's a trip of a lifetime, a true life-changing trip as they say.

Anyway, we are done with what we came back to town for: to visit a wedding venue with our daughter and her fiance. We are going back to the high elevation today. Can stand this heat no more!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom