what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was having our morning coffee when about 7:30 am there was a knocking on our door. Nobody ever knows on our door at that time of day. It was DS who I expected later in the day to help me move 24 sheets of sheetrock to the garage attic loft that I am building out. Apparently he couldn't sleep and decided to get an early start on the day.

Other than that a pretty quiet day.

Was the driver for a team participating in a car rally. Learnt about several interesting local spots I was previously unaware of. Rally ended with a picnic at a lakeside park in gorgeous sunshine. Lots of fun!

Morning at an invasive plant seminar, picked up duck eggs, then dodged tourist for a while. Considered hopping over to the Fremont Solstice parade and bike ride to meet some FIRE Seattleites, didn’t make it. Probably on YouTube

Last edited:
Morning at an invasive plant seminar, picked up duck eggs, then dodged tourist for a while. Considered hopping over to the Fremont Solstice parade and bike ride to meet some FIRE Seattleites, didn’t make it. Probably on YouTube

Speaking of invasive plants, DW and I have been waging war against Scotch Broom on our property for years. Pretty much have it beat now.

Congrats on your retirement Rodi! I am sure that you are enjoying it!

what did you do today?

I am on a home hunting trip out of state. But am managing to work in some music :)

The home hunting is complete!

By the end of the summer, when you read the junk that spills out of my fingers, you'll be reading from the newest Tar Heel.

Like they need MORE Yankees down here :D

Tragedy tomorrow, RINGO tonight!!! Yay!!! :)

Last edited:
The home hunting is complete!

By the end of the summer, when you read the junk that spills out of my fingers, you'll be reading from the newest Tar Heel.
Congratulations on finding your new home, Steelyman! :dance:
+1

Like they need MORE Yankees down here :D

From urban dictionary
Their are three types of yankees:
1)Yankee-Someone who was born and still lives in the north.
2)Damn Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions on moving back up north.
3)GD Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions of staying in the south.

Congratulations on finding your new home, Steelyman!

From MichaleB's quote: (I didn't know this)

[-]Their[/-] There are three types of Yankees:

2)Damn Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions on moving back up north.
3)GD Yankee- Someone born in the north who moves to the south with intentions of staying in the south.

I must be #3 and almost a full Texan by now.

Congratulations on finding your new home, Steelyman!

From MichaleB's quote: (I didn't know this)

[-]Their[/-] There are three types of Yankees:
Urban Dictionary: yankees Their misspelling, not mine :)

I must be #3 and almost a full Texan by now.
That's all right. Despite that, you're still welcome here. :)

Thank you, all! I am thrilled - I will have a beautiful place overlooking a forest and deck to set up my instruments. Doesn't get much better :)

I stand corrected, Michael: they don't need any more *GD* YANKEES! But they're getting one... I should be awarded a pass for coming here since I was 15 :D

I soloed this piece in two church services this morning. Although I sing it straight (and was accompanied by a harpsichord), where Josh Groban spices it up to show off his vocal skills, especially the final verse. The good thing about Bach is that it is such beautiful music that people will enjoy it even if the vocalist sucks.

on a rainy day and almost 6 months in, finally cleaned out mine and DW's old employment files... trashed contracts and comp documents dating back to early 90's.... felt pretty good.

As I was eating lunch today, I read Marilyn vos Savant's weekly puzzle in Parade Magazine. As it involved a bit of math, I put the paper down and tried to solve it myself before reading her solution. Then, I continued reading to verify my answers.

What the heck?!?!? Marilyn did not use any math, just some reasoning to get her answer, while I had to use a piece of scratch paper to write down some equations. But hers was wrong! Did she finally mess up, the person with the highest IQ in the world?

PS. A search on the Web found a Wikipedia article that describes a couple of earlier Marilyn's goofs (in 2012 and 2013), and they were fairly basic and obvious. Has old age finally caught up with her? She's 67 now.

Last edited:
<50 work days left. Worked today, came home and DS and I readied the house for end of DH's community theater cast party (we have pool...) One of the guys is giving free poolside haircuts! It's a bit more alcohol fueled than I like, but it is a way cool night for a pool party. Love being able to host, to show what hard work for 30 years can do.

Getting ready to head back to my home town tomorrow to visit friends for a few days.

As I was eating lunch today, I read Marilyn vos Savant's weekly puzzle in Parade Magazine. As it involved a bit of math, I put the paper down and tried to solve it myself before reading her solution. Then, I continued reading to verify my answers.

What the heck?!?!? Marilyn did not use any math, just some reasoning to get her answer, while I had to use a piece of scratch paper to write down some equations. But hers was wrong! Did she finally mess up, the person with the highest IQ in the world?

No link or reproduction? How will we know? :)

Last edited:
Don't we all get Parade magazine? :)

This used to be a Sunday insert that came with the local daily paper. I stopped the subscription a while back, hence did not have get Parade for perhaps 10 years. Then, recently the local free paper picked this up, and I now have it. Even so, I happened to be back down in my main metropolitan home, else would miss this.

But back to the question you asked, I thought about starting a thread on this, but wondered if there would be any interest. Now, if you are the only interested person, that alone is worthwhile. And by the way, there might be more, and as we retirees have so much time on hand, I am more than willing to entertain y'all.

So here it goes. Please hold on while I start a thread.

PS. It's done, and can be found here: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/goofs-by-a-famous-person-72543.html.

Last edited:
Today was my first official day of retirement... The first monday I did NOT go into work.

My dog and I dropped the kids at the bus to their summer program then picked up my sister (a teacher, so on her summer break) and did a nice 2 mile walk at the local beach. Worked up a sweat - mainly from keeping the dog's leash tight enough to thwart his attempts to catch seagulls.

My plan is to do this at least 3 times a week - indefinitely.
Tomorrow I'll mix it up - hook the dog up to the springer and ride bikes with the kids up to the bus stop for their summer program - then ride over to the local produce market, Sprouts, for some lentils for the dish I want to make tomorrow.

Life is good. Fun ways to get exercise for my dog and myself.

Today was my first official day of retirement... The first monday I did NOT go into work.

My dog and I dropped the kids at the bus to their summer program then picked up my sister (a teacher, so on her summer break) and did a nice 2 mile walk at the local beach. Worked up a sweat - mainly from keeping the dog's leash tight enough to thwart his attempts to catch seagulls.

My plan is to do this at least 3 times a week - indefinitely.
Tomorrow I'll mix it up - hook the dog up to the springer and ride bikes with the kids up to the bus stop for their summer program - then ride over to the local produce market, Sprouts, for some lentils for the dish I want to make tomorrow.

Life is good. Fun ways to get exercise for my dog and myself.

Congrats! Sounds like you had a tough first day.

I'm tackling all the deferred projects. This morning's project (after a 3 mile walk with the dog) was to install the magic jack. I've had it for 4 months. Tried to get DH to install it but he never got around to it... so I decided to do it today.

Not complicated - except where our router is is not where our home phones all connect in to. Our old set up had the phone line coming from the phone company block on the side of the house - to a phone wire block on the garage wall - from there 3 hard wired extensions split off. I wanted to keep those extensions. So I needed to run the wire from the router, to this phone block in the garage. That involved fishing the wire through a soffet, then through attic crawl space in the garage.

No biggie - except I had to lean way into the attic space to fish the wire... and when I was backing back out - the ladder tilted out from under me... No broken bones but a few nice bruises where I scraped myself as I fell out of the attic (till I could catch myself on the edge and lower myself down. I'm sure I looked completely ridiculous.

It was fear I'd do something stupid that had me open the garage door before starting - so if I cracked my head open a neighbor might see me bleeding out and call 911. LOL. I always plan for the worst.

Upshot - my landline is now transferred to magic jack and I'm saving money. I have bragging rights with DH over actually getting it done. And ladders are not my friend. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom