Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #14501
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=splitwdw;1465671]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Mounted a ditch light on my winter beater. QUOTE]

Never heard of a ditch light. Is this something common for your area?
Not at all. I might be the only one with the mod around here.

It is not a new concept. I have seen a few over the years.
Some 60ies big boat Cadillacs had a front side light which came on with the turn signals. Mine works off the fog light relay, which I mounted on the front fender well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #14502
Give me a forum ...

I just remembered a picture I ran across when looking for some "I fixed it" photos. Glad I was able to find it again. Would these qualify as ditch lights?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #14503
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just remembered a picture I ran across when looking for some "I fixed it" photos. Glad I was able to find it again. Would these qualify as ditch lights?

Probably, I'd ditch them as fast as I could.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #14504
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Headlight, fog light and ditch light. Perfect.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #14505
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mother in law passed last week so we're helping 79 year old father in law get ready to sell the house.

MIL wasn't a hoarder but close to it. I filled at least 40 garbage bags today with old canned food stored in the garage. Once can of beans was from 1988! And for heavens sake, no one NEEDS 200 + candles.

Thank heavens FIL isn't sentimental so it's easy to go through the rooms and have him pick out the few things he wants to keep. The hard part will be physically getting rid of all the trash since they live in the Ozark Ntl Forest and are 20 miles from the closes small town.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #14506

Quote:
There should a way for you to print more photos, and to make more frames, as you like to do so?

Like selling them?
Perhaps but I'm wary of turning a hobby into a job. Then it becomes that dreaded thing, "w*rk".

More likely, gifts for family and friends.

I enjoy photography, but if someone hires you to shoot photographs they (and rightfully so since they're footing the bills) call the shots on what effects they want and what to photograph.

Same thing with framing. I enjoy it but the one paying the freight (rightfully so) calls the shots on what the result should look like. That is not where I want to be.

I am reminded of a conversation with my sister a while back. In the book "What Color is Your Parachute" the question is posed: "What were you doing when you were happiest?"

For me that is learning something new that is technically and/or mechanically difficult but not overwhelming AND has a practical application/benefit.

When I was working that was computer forensics. A hobby then was flying radio control model airplanes.

And now it is digital photography and the artistic/mechanical side of picture framing. A snapshot or planned vision turned into a concrete photo hanging on the wall is kind of neat. There is a significant difference between seeing the photo on a computer display and holding a print in your hands and seeing it on the wall.

Ansel Adams put it this way: "The negative is the score. The print is the performance."
Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #14507

The A/C has been struggling lately to cool the house, so I called for service.

As I suspected, it was low on refrigerant, due to small leaks in the coils in the basement air handler unit.

They said it was about a $2K job to replace the coil, which got my attention.
The good news is that it just started the tenth year of a ten year warranty, so it won't cost us anything.

Next time it acts up, we'll replace it; I never would have guessed a repair would be that expensive.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #14508
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The A/C has been struggling lately to cool the house, so I called for service.

As I suspected, it was low on refrigerant, due to small leaks in the coils in the basement air handler unit.

They said it was about a $2K job to replace the coil, which got my attention.
The good news is that it just started the tenth year of a ten year warranty, so it won't cost us anything.

Next time it acts up, we'll replace it; I never would have guessed a repair would be that expensive.
I had that repair done in January . The part was covered under warranty but it still cost me $1000 in labor .
Old 07-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #14509

Quote:

A few years ago I was recovering from knee repalcement surgery and could not mow my lawn. I hired a neighbor's son to do the job. One evening I heard the lawn mower running and thinking it was pretty dark to be doing the job I looked out the window. The kid had two flashlights taped to the lawnmower deck as headlights.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:26 PM   #14510

Had a tooth pulled, the first step for my dental implant. Watched World Cup while writing emails back and forth with my kids and planning our trip to Brazil.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #14511
Give me a forum ...

Mopped the balcony floor. Had breakfast of coffee, calabrese bread and cherries on the deck. Polished the kitchen cabinets. Returned ladder to the basement storage area. Walked 1 block to the local celebrations for Canada Day, which included a car show, helicopter rides (which I did not do), exhibits and a concert. Weather warm (29 degrees C) with glorious sunshine. Had a shave ice. Sang O Canada with the crowd. Met Captain and Mrs. Canada. Watched the mayor (on the right) cut the birthday cake. Didn't line up for cake. A good time was had by all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (284.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-02-2014, 02:22 PM   #14512
Administrator

Been busy the last few weeks with family, so DW and I took Sunday afternoon off and went to see "End of Tomorrow". We're not big Tom Cruise fans but still enjoyed the film.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #14513

It's been about 30+ years since this happened, but today I was carded buying wine! Apparently the store now has a policy of asking for ID from everyone. The clerk acted kind of embarrassed about it since I'm clearly well over 18 or 21 or whatever the drinking age is here.

Mounted and got everything ready to frame two more photos that DW wanted done. The prints have to dry for 24 hours before being placed behind glass. Did another one last night that DW initially said she was neutral about but when she saw it framed she liked it a lot more. She wants that one near the front door.

It took three tries to get the double-matting right last night but I guess I'm learning since the ones today were no trouble at all. Maybe I'm running out of mistakes to make.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #14514

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Attended Antiques Road Show in Austin. Had them look at a painting of a clipper ship that my parents received as a wedding present back in the 40s. While it was not a big $ discovery, they indicated it was American, 1920s, nicely done, but they could not identify the artist. Value at auction $400-800.

We had tickets for 9:00 AM admission, but they let us in at 7:00 AM, and the appraisal was completed by 7:35. Fortunate for us, otherwise we might have been standing in line for hours.
I was there also! Our tickets were for 11:00, but we drove down and parked a little after 9:00 before walking down to Jo's for migas and coffee. Wondered why we saw so many people already walking back to the parking garage so early!

My sister came down from PA to join me. We took 3 objects (chair, chocolate pot, and souvenir glass painting) that we thought had belonged to our grandparents but then found out that based on the age they belonged to our great-grandparents (1880s-90s). Total value about $300, but nice to know what they are and when they were made. Also a genuine Shirley Temple doll that my mother played with (a lot!) in the 1930s - due to condition issues (no eyes, among others), it has no value. My sister was thrilled that she can now get rid of it!

We got in line about 10:45 and were finished by 1:30pm. Two of the lines were about 45 minutes, the others much shorter. Had a blast looking at all the interesting stuff people brought.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #14515
Give me a forum ...

A few hours of kayaking interrupted by a nap with feet on deck, just drifting with the light breeze. Then stopped at $tarbuck$ for coffe.

Moved on to the skating rink for an hour of cutting up the ice... Observed a 12 year old get her first jump. She was one happy kid, congratulated her on the success. Then went to to my mancave for an additional nap.

Another words a great retirement day.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #14516

Had a late afternoon T-storm that took out a couple of neighbor's trees. I saw Bill next door draped with a towel to absorb the sweat sawing on tree branches with a carpenter's saw. He's 80, nice guy, but stubborn as an ox, and I knew he'd keep at it until that tree was sawed up into pieces he could haul down the hill to the woods. Using a carpenter's saw, it would take a 20-year-old at least a few days to cut up those branches and the tree using a carpenter's saw. I have an old but good-running Stihl chain saw in the shed that sees action about every two years.

Took about and hour for me, DW, and a couple of other neighbors who came over a bit later (heard the chain saw running) to haul it all down to the woods. Bill offered a fist full of 20's, I said "Take us out to lunch next week". And we have a coupon for BOGOF at Ruby Tuesday's.

Works for me.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #14517

Spent some time in the canoe this morning. Then goofed off all day.

Like the T shirt says:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1404353953.519813.jpg

Old 07-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #14518
Moderator Emeritus

Watched DW take off for work and return for the last time - She retired today on her birthday. She says she is going to follow me around all day from now on. My life as I know it will never be the same.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #14519
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Watched DW take off for work and return for the last time - She retired today on her birthday. She says she is going to follow me around all day from now on. My life as I know it will never be the same.
Congratulations to her, condolences to you.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:19 PM   #14520
Full time employment: Posting here.

This morning, while SCUBA diving in Little Cayman, a 12 foot Hammerhead shark passed between me and my (DGF) buddy.

Closed Thread