Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #14681
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Walt, best wishes for the upcomng plumbing job.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #14682
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Had the stress test (and several others) and they did not tell me, as I had hoped, that "It's just gas".

Nope, probably tomorrow I'm having a cardiac catheterization that they tell me will reduce or even eliminate the symptoms of the partially blocked arteries that feed blood to the heart. The good news is that I'm here well before I had the heart attack that would have been the inevitable end had I done nothing. From what I understand and have read (lots, recently!) it's a relatively routine procedure and only rarely has a bad outcome so I'm optimistic about that.

A conversation with one of the nurses was a bit surprising. She said I'm unusual because:

1. I have a doctor who I see regularly
2. The minute I knew something was wrong I called him
3. Most people do neither and wait until they're "on the ground" before they arrive at the hospital

This was surprising to me because it's a survival issue (Duh!).

Anyway, the main discomfort I have now is boredom since when at rest there are no physical symptoms at all. Thanks all for the well-wishes and I'm optimistic about this and the outcome.
Thank goodness you acted quickly and did not wait until things got worse. Hope all goes well with the cath and they have you home and on the mend soon.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #14683
Moderator Emeritus

Walt, the most welcome words to read in the article you linked to, were: "Cardiac catheterization rarely causes serious complications.". I was so glad to read that because I didn't know. Good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #14684

Walt, wishing you all the best tomorrow! Everyone I know who has had a cath and stents feels every so much better after. My older sister failed her stress test a couple of years ago and when they did the catheterization they found no blockages at all but I guess this is unusual. I don't believe she was having the symptoms you were having upon exertion though.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #14685

Walt, Glad to hear you got to your doctors and the hospital to get checked out.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #14686
Moderator Emeritus

Walt - good to hear that the medical staff found the problem and that they're fixing it pronto. Good luck with the catheterization!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM   #14687
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck Walt, I'm sure you will be much better after the procedure.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #14688
Give me a forum ...

Good luck Walt...so glad all this was caught early on!

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:28 AM   #14689

Best of luck Walt.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #14690

Walt - hope your day has gone better than mine.

Got up at 0-dark-30 for a 7am endodontist appointment to finish the root canal started last month. Tooth still hasn't felt normal and showed infection on X-ray so instead of finishing it, he prescribed stronger antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. I go back twice next week, but will still need another month to see if it has cleared enough to finish it.

After my morning walk and some weed-whacking with my new toy, hopped in the shower. While in shower, got call from appliance installer at our family vacation house (1500 miles away) that the washer-dryer he was supposed to install was delivered with major damage. Back on the phone with GE to get it replaced (again). (The whole story of said washer-dryer is too long for this thread, suffice it to say there are curses and/or demons involved.)

Went to drugstore to pick up prescriptions from endodontist, then picked up RV as I had an appointment to have its 6 tires replaced due to a recall. Got to the tire shop. They only have 4 tires in stock (despite the fact I had called yesterday to make the appointment and they said they had 6). Took RV back to storage lot and came home to make lunch. Decided a beer with it was in order.

Took a nap. Tire folks called and said the other 2 tires just came in, I can bring it over tomorrow.

Heading out for a meeting for one of my volunteer gigs - I sure hope it goes better than the rest of my day or I'll be with a bunch of really unhappy people!

I did check the calendar to make sure it wasn't Friday the 13th
Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #14691

Went to the beach with DH and the kids today (rather than to walk the dog, like most mornings.) Kids did some surfing and boogie boarding. We ran into some neighbors/friends who had the same idea as we did - so the various kids hung out and swam together. 5 hours at the beach was plenty.

Plan to go to the beach tomorrow early, with the dog, and later morning on Friday, with the kids. We're in more typical summer weather after some "june gloom" type weather for most of July.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #14692

All turned out well, they found the blockage and put a stent in it. Doc says full recovery in 3 - 4 weeks.

I'm in ICU only because I have a recent cath hole in my femoral artery and if that starts to leaks it gets real serious real fast. They've been checking it every 15 minutes all day. They wouldn't let me sit up for four hours or stand for eight. I feel fine, most likely I will get out tomorrow.

I'm told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk so I'm gonna milk that for all it's worth. Dunno how long that's good for though.

Thank you all for the kind messages and posts. I won't be posting much tonight as it's hard to write with an oxygen sensor on your finger - almost back to hunt 'n peck with one hand.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #14693

Walt - that's great news. Have a non-eventful recovery and milk that no-lifting till your wife says "no mas".
Old 07-23-2014, 05:28 PM   #14694
Administrator

Walt, great to hear from ya'. Enjoy your break from chores.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #14695

Glad to hear it went well. Here's to a speedy recovery.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #14696
Give me a forum ...

Wait a minute Walt.....can you ride your m/c right away? Fingers crossed on that one.

Thanks for checking in and letting us know you're ok. You've been on my mind.....

...and posting from ICU, now that has got to be a first!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #14697
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
DW and I took an architectural river tour of Chicago this afternoon. We enjoyed it enough to make it part of our "must do visitor's itinerary". Then we walked a bit and had lunch.
Years ago we did the CFA (Chicago Architectural Foundation) River tour. I chose that one as I wanted the serious educational type tour. It was great, but they throw so many facts and figures at you that it all becomes a blur after a while ( xxxx tons of concrete and steel, yyyyy square feet of glass, marble from such and such a place, architectural firm was some guys with three names, and on and on on).

A few years later some visitors wanted to take one of the tours, and some in the group decided on the 'speed boat' tour (seadogs?). I was a little skeptical, but since we already did the serious one, sure, why not. It was a great combo of a fun fast ride on the lake, then a river tour. They did more 'stories' than facts/figures.

Bottom line, they were both good. Even though I'm the analytical type, I think I preferred the 'stories'. But you can do both and enjoy both.

Last month, we dropped in for one of the 'Insta-greeter' tours. Just sign in at the Chicago Cultural Center, and they leave every half hour. No charge. It was just us, two docents (one in training), and a French speaking couple from Canada. Nice way to fill in a little time among the other things we were there for.

-ERD50
Old 07-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #14698

Great news, Walt!

MBAustin, I lost almost the whole month of June between an infection and root canal. My face blew up late Friday night after the dentist and endodontist were closed. Couldn't get any meds until Saturday. First antibiotic didn't do anything so on Tuesday they added a second antibiotic that made me sick to my stomach and other nasty side effects. Didn't know it was the antibiotic because I've never had a problem with any medication. They took me off that and added a different antibiotic to the first antibiotic. Took almost 3 1/2 weeks to clear everything up for the root canal. Root canal is complete and no problems now.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:06 PM   #14699
Administrator

Happy to hear you're doing well, Walt. Those stents are pretty wonderful inventions. My dad has 5 or 6 of them now, and he's still chugging along.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #14700
Give me a forum ...

Glad to hear it Walt!! Fabulous news.

My day was a waste. Since I am retiring from the Air Force, I am required to do a transition assistance program. They have many tracks to choose (go to school, entrepreneur, get a job) but none for full retirement. I have to put together a resume for a job I'm not seeking. Very annoying...I'm glad to almost be done with this government crap.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Closed Thread