what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Safety first when it comes to tree trimming around my place.

get-attachment.asp

I'll jump out of perfectly good airplanes, haven't the balls to do that.

Now off to the Y for my morning workout. Ciao.

Last edited:
Safety first when it comes to tree trimming around my place.

get-attachment.asp

Good chioce. I used to buy walnut logs from tree trimmers. Many were worth more as firewood because of the metal in them.

The guys that trimmed for a living, very special bunch. The older ones got very smart. Many didn't graduate the school of hard knocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

W2R - your bathroom project sounds like fun. I'm sure the handyman and plumber will come up with a solution. I'd be more willing to take the bathtub out (and have 2 showers) than give up a bedroom, from a resale point of view.

Went shopping for router bits and for foam board to mount a couple of photos for a photo contest. Got carried away and went into a Tesla dealer for a chat. Luckily cars with a 300mi range are no good for me. But impressed that Tesla is building charging stations across the country where Tesla owners can recharge for free.

I am back at the metropolitan home due to an appointment with an otolaryngologist. My, it is hot here at 104F. When I go back up to the boonies home again in 2 weeks, it will be in the motorhome on my way to a 2-month trek. I still need to install another Fantastic vent in the motorhome, and change oil of the onboard generator.

I saw on the Web that gasoline price is expected to drop, and it is reported that at a couple of unnamed locations in the US the price has dropped below $3/gal. I hope my travel will be in that direction.

You may not believe it, but people have been successful in using an East German Trabant (remember those?) to pull down trees....

Didn't you mean twig rather than tree?

My mom had a 50' high spruce tree cut down a few years ago. The guy who did it was probably about 30 and was amazing. He had a light weight chainsaw and actually climbed to the top of the tree and delimbed it from the top down as I recall. Along the way he hitched a rope about 2/3rd of the way up and had me put just a little pulling pressure on the rope as he cut the tree and the top landed within a couple feet of a stake he had put down as a mark. Amazing. Only took him about an hour or so from beginning to end with everything cleaned up.

Similar to this but without ropes.

Last edited:
Didn't you mean twig rather than tree?...
What people call a seedling was like a tree to that Trabant owner. ;)

And did you see when the little car spun its front wheels on the grass when held back by the twig, er, tree?

Well yesterday I tried a new frugal activity and let my 20 year old son cut my hair. He has no training but has been cutting his own hair for about 6 months. I figured 'what's the worse that could happen?'. As I always tell the barber, no one has ever cut it too short and it keeps growing back! So by this time you are expecting disaster right? Actually looks great. One of the best haircuts in some time and certainly better than many I've had. Seems he has a talent!

Well yesterday I tried a new frugal activity and let my 20 year old son cut my hair. He has no training but has been cutting his own hair for about 6 months. I figured 'what's the worse that could happen?'. As I always tell the barber, no one has ever cut it too short and it keeps growing back! So by this time you are expecting disaster right? Actually looks great. One of the best haircuts in some time and certainly better than many I've had. Seems he has a talent!

If he has fun doing it too, I think you should get that kid some training! It sounds like he is really good at cutting hair. I am not sure but I would imagine that upscale hairdressers make a lot of money, when you include the tips.

My Mom used to cut my Dad's hair. For the last 45 years of his life he never went to the barber. He was a civil servant and always looked well groomed.

I am not sure but I would imagine that upscale hairdressers make a lot of money, when you include the tips.

After few people complemented me on house painting jobs I did at my Mom's, our old house, and FIL's houses and said I could make a good living at that my response was that "Just because I'm good at it doesn't mean I like it".

Ordered two new smartphones for me and DW so phone-wise we're finally moving into the 21st century.

Okay, they're Tracfones, they're refurbished, and I paid $5 each for them. Free shipping. I don't expect high performance.

I treated a small deck with a waterproofing, UV resistant sealant. Then I made pizza dough which I am refrigerating so it will slowly develop those wonderful flavors for tomorrow's pizza. After that I still had some time left over so I spent an hour or so working on my Italian using the Duolingo site. Oh, I also posted a lot of nonsense here.

My Mom used to cut my Dad's hair. For the last 45 years of his life he never went to the barber. He was a civil servant and always looked well groomed.

DW cuts my hair and DS. Just a buzz cut, particularly in the summer. It looks fine and is easy maintenance. We've got more than our money's worth out of the "buzzers".

My husband cuts my sons' hair. He uses a flow-bee attached to the dyson. He trims up a bit with his razor and his beard trimmer. The cuts look good.

He also trims my hair. But since mine is waist length and only gets a "straight across the back" trim every 6 months, it's pretty simple.

We worked a couple of hours in the morning. Then we spent the afternoon visiting the Academy of Science and had a picnic at Stowe Lake in Golden Gate Park. The planetarium show at the Academy was Dark Universe:

We visited the museum with a free library pass and DH packed the picnic so it was a fun, cheap date. It was nice to be able to go on a weekday when the museum and park were not crowded and there were plenty of parking spots.

Went on a two-hour motorcycle ride, first time on it for about three weeks. That felt good, leaning the bike hard over in some turns again.

I was driving around town today and went past a bar that had this on their marquee:

"WATCH CUBS HERE. REBUILDING YEAR 106".

I was driving around town today and went past a bar that had this on their marquee:

"WATCH CUBS HERE. REBUILDING YEAR 106".

Might as well be Greek.

Took the dog for a walk on the beach. Watched a bunch of videos to learn the different programming interface for the Mindstorm EV3. (I coach my sons FIRST Lego League robotics team - and we upgraded from NXT to EV3 this year.) Helped DH demo and put in an upstairs window. First of 5 he plans to do this week. That window is in - now he just needs to trim it out.

Older son is at basketball practice, younger son just helped me make black bottom cupcakes - which are now in the oven. The house smells amazing.

I plan to do NOTHING this afternoon. :)

Pulled the leaking radiator on my VW Jetta diesel. All plastic frame and aluminum fin stock and tubing. Cheap, light and a sorry product. Leaked at tube about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom. Car only has 155,000 on it and is maintained to the 10's. It was 100 F out and maybe a bit cooler in the garage, but I was soaked to the skin after I pulled it.

Now to wait for the new one.....$346.00 at the local parts house (has to be ordered). Online at a German import retailer is $140.00. Both are probably Chinese knockoffs. :( (OEM from the dealer is probably made in China also and probably $500)

Replaced squeaking alternator belt on Jag. But first must remove AC deive belt. 1/2 hour.

Did some branch management. :) Stacked branches from recently cut tree.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom