Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #14961
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oil change & a set of new tires on the wife's car. Lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant, which is next to the tire place. Now, just sitting in the recliner, posting on this forum. Retirement is good.......

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #14962
Recycles dryer sheets

Martyb, definitely beats my day!
Old 08-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #14963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
my day at work involved me falling into a pool of toxic sludge, up to my neck
Not literally, but many of us have had days that felt like that.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #14964

Quote:
Martyb, definitely beats my day!
Wow! I just read yours, and you are definitely right! Hope things go better from here on out!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 08-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #14965

Oh, it is 6pm. Time for my gin martini....extra dry of course...two olives and shaken not stirred.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:02 PM   #14966

Quote:
Anyway, my day at work involved me falling into a pool of toxic sludge, up to my neck... skin very quickly started to sting and burn, and I was sent home early to shower the substance away.
YIKES!!! No wonder you are anxious for your ER date! Hope there is no lasting effect (other than OMY Syndrome Prevention )

After morning 2-mile walk, picked up a book at the library, bought birthday card for DD, and returned a shirt I bought last week that had a hole in it. Then yoga class and home for a quick lunch (Costco salmon burgers). Wrapped DD's birthday gift and packed it up with last week's mail for her (she is in between addresses so we are her PO Box for another few weeks). Off to the endodontist - the steroids he prescribed two weeks ago did not really settle my angry tooth down, but after sitting and waiting in the dental chair for 45 minutes, he insisted it doesn't really hurt . He'll finish off the root canal next week and if it is still painful, it will be off to the oral surgeon for another procedure.

Went to the PO to mail DD's package - was very pleased it all fit in a small flat rate box so only $5.80 for priority mail. Then went to the grocery store nearby. Big mistake - it was 3:30 pm when I got there and today was the first day of school in that part of town (tomorrow is the first day out here). It was a madhouse. Just makes me appreciate my normal shopping routine (mornings) more.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #14967
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spent the emorning kayaking, then stopped for $tarbuck$ and Oatmeal Raisin cookie.
Lazed some of the afternoon, then split some wood and added them to the stack.

Cruised the Interweb.

A few more weeks and SeaKyaker can participate in the leisurely activites.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:00 AM   #14968
Recycles dryer sheets

Short version:
We got robbed.

Long version:
I walked about 3 miles to the public library to return a book & check out one I had on hold. Then DH picked me up and we went to a local diner for pie & coffee -- undoing all the good I did on the 3 mile walk

Then we got home and surprised a thief who had broken into our house during the hour or so while DH was gone. We didn't come face-to-face with the scumbag, he ran out of the house while we were in our backyard looking at a window screen that was lying in the yard. Turns out it was the screen from the window he pried open to get into the house.

He made off with a couple of laptop computers, my Nexus tablet, and a few pieces of jewelry, including my late mother's engagement ring. I suppose it could have been worse, we had obviously surprised him.

The rest of the afternoon was spent dealing with police, the insurance co, and changing all our passwords. I have to say the two police officers who came to our home were great to deal with. And our insurance company took our claim with no hassle whatsoever, it probably helped that this was our first claim in 25 years. So all in all, it wasn't too bad.

We're now looking into home security/video monitoring systems.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 AM   #14969
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
We got robbed.

We're now looking into home security/video monitoring systems.
Bummer! That is disconcerting. Apart from the hassle and loss of irreplaceable valuables, it must make you feel violated. I can quite understand why you want to instal a security system. When I bought my first home in 1991, this was the first home improvement I made (within 3 weeks of moving in). The alarm company said that a large proportion of their customers had chosen to install systems after experiencing a robbery.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #14970
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear of your robbery. We had a robbery 3 doors down a few weeks ago. So I've been doing several additional security measures. One is video cameras. Here's a camera that I like. Sends emails to you when it detects motion, records video, night vision. Runs off your wi-fi.

(UP TO 30 METERS IN DARKNESS!) 3 Megapixel Indoor/Outdoor High Resolution Weather Proof Infrared Bullet IP Camera (30 Built In Infrared Illuminators for Night Vision),IP SECURITY CAMERAS, - CCTVSecurityPros.com
Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #14971
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rosie, very sorry to hear about your break-in and glad nothing was taken other than 'stuff'.

We had a very similar incident many years ago, came home after dark and went into the back yard (rear-entrance garage) to check on our new puppy while our two small children went into the house. The kids turned on the inside lights and opened the patio curtain and we looked up see the contents of all the drawers in our bedroom dumped all over the bed and floor behind them. We apparently interrupted the crook(s) in the act and they went out the front door as we came home.

Even though that was 30 years ago, three things are still burned into my memory:

- The shock of realizing we sent our two small kids into that house when the burglar may have still been inside
- The violation and loss of personal security we felt for a long time afterwards
- The response from the 911 operator when I called in the "robbery", who took the time out of her busy schedule to lecture me about the difference between a "robbery" and a "burglary" and once she was done, then ask me if I still wanted to report a "robbery". Sanctimonious beeatch.

Fortunately the officers who responded were far more professional.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:21 AM   #14972
Moderator Emeritus

Rosie, sorry to hear about the break in.

Our house was broken into on Christmas day a few years ago while we were gone. The thief broke the sliding door at the rear of the house and gained entry to the kitchen. They (He) got out with only a laptop that was on the counter as our Golden Retriever was probably on their case within a few seconds.

Cop that came to the house was not much help as he said he investigates 10+ of these break ins daily. He did ask me if I had a gun in the house because if I don't have one, he can't be here to protect us if another break in happens while we are home. So now we have protection in place.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #14973
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anyway, my day at work involved me falling into a pool of toxic sludge, up to my neck
And, as the old joke goes, "Break is over, now back on your head..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 08-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #14974
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
- The response from the 911 operator when I called in the "robbery", who took the time out of her busy schedule to lecture me about the difference between a "robbery" and a "burglary" and once she was done, then ask me if I still wanted to report a "robbery". Sanctimonious beeatch.
Apologize for troubling the operator, then mention that you have a weapon, will clear the house, and contact the coroner if needed. Apologize again for bothering them.

In our little community, you'd be amazed at how many officers show up in very short order.

(Badly trained 911 operators are a hazard to all parties.)
Old 08-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #14975
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you so much for your kind comments and helpful advice, folks. And for giving me a chuckle or two.

And Ron, I really appreciate the link, that's precisely what we're considering!

It's just stuff, and we were really lucky, considering the alternatives. We're taking steps now to better secure our doors & windows, long overdue but at least it's being done.

Thanks again, you guys are great.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #14976
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
....He did ask me if I had a gun in the house because if I don't have one, he can't be here to protect us if another break in happens while we are home. So now we have protection in place.
WTF? The cop can't help you if unless you have a weapon? What am I misreading? You live in the US, right?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 08-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #14977
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
WTF? The cop can't help you if unless you have a weapon? What am I misreading? You live in the US, right?
No we live in Texas.

What the cop was saying is HE can't help protect us if HE is not in the house when a break in occurs. He is saying be a Boy Scout and Be Prepared. Like most good Texans, I have taken his advice.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 PM   #14978
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm guessing the officers point was an individual needs to be prepared to deal, waiting is not always an option.
Many citizens mistakenly believe the police have a duty to protect them, not so.
Police do have a duty to protect an individual under arrest in their custody.

Police Chief Magazine - View Article
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #14979
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
He was probably referring to the higher priority given to "weapons involved" calls by 911 Dispatch in many communities.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #14980

Quote:
As the saying goes,
Quote:
When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
That might really belong in the other thread on self-sufficiency, I guess.
Closed Thread