Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #15321

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Or for the gardener who hates (or is unable to in my case) to do the constant weeding and large scale soil enhancement, pest control, and fertilizing necessary for open ground gardens.
Even better, my veggies are fresh, fully organic, and not out of control as far as quantity goes. I have just enough production for Mr B and I.
My peppers are the STAR of my container garden, too. This year I grew gypsy peppers. Wow. I will never go back to just regular green/red/yellow varieties. High production, faster, so tasty and sweet!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #15322
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Again...I remembered to log on and check out the happenings here.

I just returned from a 4 day trip to Wolfe Island, ON CA in the St Lawrence River. I take the ferry from Cape Vincent NY. It rained off and on for all 4 days. The thunderstorms were something to see from shore. Woooooooo....
Haven't been to Wolfe Island in 40 years. Neat place, hope the Cape Vincent ferry has been updated since '74. Storms could be rough around the river.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 10-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #15323
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Haven't been to Wolfe Island in 40 years. Neat place, hope the Cape Vincent ferry has been updated since '74. Storms could be rough around the river.

Nope, it's still Horne's Ferry and the ferry boat is the same. This is a photo from the gallery at their homepage. Wave conditions were a bit wilder on Sunday October 5th when I went across to Wolfe Island. Lots of spray even on the upper deck. Yeeehaaaaaa

From their webpage..."Operating from May until late fall, Horne’s Ferry has offered a service between Wolfe Island, Ontario and New York State since 1802."

Old 10-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #15324
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for awakening some old memories.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #15325
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Other than that, I am continuing my outdoor container gardening and deciding who gets moved inside for the winter. My Earthbox grown peppers are simply kicking *ss and taking names. They are ripening inside my enclosed porch since the nights are getting a bit cooler here. I like to split them, brush with olive oil, bake in convection oven until just slightly soft, cool them down, fill with cheddar cheese and bake again until the cheese melts and gets a smidge browned on top. Yum yum yummmmmmm
When I had a house, I used to have a dozen earthboxes on the back patio and they worked great. I don't have any outdoors space anymore, so the only gardening I do now is in small glass containers. I made these 2 terrariums with a woodland scenery this week:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4521.jpg (515.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4523.jpg (502.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #15326
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
When I had a house, I used to have a dozen earthboxes on the back patio and they worked great. I don't have any outdoors space anymore, so the only gardening I do now is in small glass containers. I made these 2 terrariums with a woodland scenery this week:
Wow, those are gorgeous!
Container gardening outdoors is a great idea for any size property. Most vegetables and annual flowers only need 6" to 8" of soil. As freebird posted they can move their container into an enclosed porch to extend the growing season. I also like containers because you can add height, splashes of color or texture to established garden beds.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:32 AM   #15327
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Wow, those are gorgeous!....

+1. Nicely done! I'd like to do something like that but I may not have enough sun

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #15328
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Beautiful terrariums.

You just reminded me I need to get some fresh moss and rotted bark for my large glass globe terrarium. Sometimes the rotted bark will sprout woodland mushrooms, maybe turkey tails or a weblike fungi. I have 3 tiny plastic deer as well as shiny mineral stones inside mine. I use a glass plate as the humidity retention cover.

I had an orange salamander in the terrarium a few years back. I bought salamander food and kept a small dish of fresh water in there. He burrowed into the dirt one day and was never seen again.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 PM   #15329
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful terrariums, FIREd. My attempts at terrarium building were not as successful. I have to stick with dry terrariums with succulents. Those are the only ones that lasted.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #15330
Give me a forum ...

Lazy day for me, but got a few things done.

I had a fabulous salad made with fresh picked leaf lettuce and scallions, tomato, crumbly bleu cheese, and Greek style dressing. I harvested a few fresh carrots and made a homemade turkey pot pie for mid afternoon dinner.

I planted some spinach and endive in 2 windowboxes indoors. I'm hoping they will get a good enough start to be moved outdoors until the snow flies and then back indoors to supply me with fresh greens for another month or so. I cut back some dead asparagus foliage, and am subjecting it to cooler temperatures outdoors so maybe I'll get some tender spears. when I bring it inside in a few weeks. I am getting better at fooling my plants into thinking it is time to produce.

I did some laundry.

I watched TV while Mr B ran a mass copy j*b for the American Legion.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #15331

Took my younger son to the Italian Festa in "Little Italy" this morning. He was excited to eat all the different foods. I got class credit for my Italian class. At least I hope to - the teacher never showed - but I took a selfy with another student from the class in front of the meeting place, as proof we were there. We picked up some cannoli to bring home for desert after dinner.

Then I dropped younger son off, grabbed the dog, and spent 3 hours watching 1.5 games in my older son's double header baseball game. DH was home making a nice red sauce with meatballs and sausage - so I came home to a really nice dinner. - with i cannoli for dessert.

I will need to do some serious walking to burn off il cannolo but it was worth it.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #15332
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Last night I half-jokingly said to DW "Would you mind if I blew $450 on a half-hour airplane ride?"

She said "You should do that."

To myself: "Huh? She's serious!"

Out loud: "Okay, if you're going to twist my arm about it."

So I called a retired BIL and asked if he wanted to go and we went up to Hagerstown Airport and toured the B-17G Nine-O-Nine. He didn't go on the ride but we both took a lot of pictures.
Just got to this... reminded me of when i was a kid in 1944... My uncle Jerry was the tail gunner in the B24. He never had a chance, one of the two KIA in the crash. A sad time for our household. Second from right in front row, I think... He was 19.

A perspective on casualties in WWII... this list from My uncle's small Bomb group...The 449th Bomb Group(H) | Casualties
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Uncle Jerry.jpg (89.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #15333
Give me a forum ...

We replaced our aging coffee mugs with healthier looking all glass ones from Cost Plus. It was actually kind of a bigger decision than it sounds because a lot of mugs don't fit in our cars' cup holders, so we had to do some shopping around to find ones that fit the best. I also bought my first ever oil and vinegar bottle set and an olive oil spray bottle. The spray bottle is to use instead of Pam and the oil and vinegar set is to replace commercial dressings for salads. I have some books on flavored vinegars and oils I want to try to make myself.

In the morning I made two different kinds of home made soups and steamed and stir fried veggies for upcoming meals.

Also this weekend we went to a class on how to replace our front lawn with a native plant garden put on by our water utility. They have rebates to help offset the initial cost.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #15334
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
My peppers are the STAR of my container garden, too. This year I grew gypsy peppers. Wow. I will never go back to just regular green/red/yellow varieties. High production, faster, so tasty and sweet!
I had to look up "gypsy peppers" to see their colors. Too bad they are not grown commercially. I took the following snapshot recently at Jean-Talon Market in Montreal. Why aren't these white and purple peppers grown in the US? These enticing colors could be how we get kids to eat more veggie.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #15335

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I had to look up "gypsy peppers" to see their colors. Too bad they are not grown commercially. I took the following snapshot recently at Jean-Talon Market in Montreal. Why aren't these white and purple peppers grown in the US? These enticing colors could be how we get kids to eat more veggie.

Neat! My homegrown ones did not turn purple or white - they all started out light, light green, then would proceed through variations of light yellow, to orange, and then red if you let them go even longer on the vine. There must be even more variations of gypsy peppers. They are quite tasty - just enough sweetness and wonderful in stir frys or on the grill.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #15336

The variety I planted was Bonnie Bell. I bought them at Home Depot as plants and transplanted. I've never tried planting peppers from seed as I hear they are nortiously difficult to grow from seed. When I have more time I plan to try it, though, just for fun!

Gypsy

Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #15337
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday at the mancave moved and rewired the battery bank. Installing an 2000 watt inverter required heftier battery interconnects. Was nice to be able to use a microwave withut running the generator. Such decadence.

Now, off to the skating rink for some figure skating and figure eights. I think of them as infinity, and learning.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #15338
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Neat! My homegrown ones did not turn purple or white - they all started out light, light green, then would proceed through variations of light yellow, to orange, and then red if you let them go even longer on the vine. There must be even more variations of gypsy peppers. They are quite tasty - just enough sweetness and wonderful in stir frys or on the grill.
Quote:
The variety I planted was Bonnie Bell. I bought them at Home Depot as plants and transplanted. I've never tried planting peppers from seed as I hear they are nortiously difficult to grow from seed. When I have more time I plan to try it, though, just for fun!

Gypsy
The ripe peppers are nutritionally richer. I saw no green bell peppers at that market. These Canadians eat smart! There's a variety of bell peppers called Permagreen that stays green when ripe, but I suspect that it is not at all common.

I find out that the white and purple ones are thought to be from Holland, and that the purple color is only skin-deep, as the flesh is green. There's even a type with the chocolate/brown color, but I have not seen that one.

I grew bell peppers a couple of times, and got a couple of fruits the size of a thumb. I will try the Gypsy variety next year, as it is said that it can do well in hot climate (above 75F).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Yesterday at the mancave moved and rewired the battery bank. Installing an 2000 watt inverter required heftier battery interconnects. Was nice to be able to use a microwave withut running the generator. Such decadence...
I installed a 2KW pure sine wave inverter in my motorhome for that very reason. Two 12V deep-cycle batteries in parallel could run the microwave for perhaps 15 minutes max, but we usually only use it for reheating food, so that was plenty.

When I switched to two 6V golf-cart batteries in series, which were supposed to have a higher capacity, the microwave had to be run at reduced power settings. The golf-cart batteries have significantly higher internal resistance, and hence much higher voltage drop under load despite the higher capacity.

I would not mind having more batteries, but there's room for only two.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 10-13-2014, 11:34 AM   #15339

Quote:
The ripe peppers are nutritionally richer.
Good to know, especially b/c I like the red ones the best - they are the sweetest.

Quote:
I grew bell peppers a couple of times, and got a couple of fruits the size of a thumb. I will try the Gypsy variety next year, as it is said that it can do well in hot climate (above 75F).
They did fantastic for me here in sweltering Alabama. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #15340
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I installed a 2KW pure sine wave inverter in my motorhome for that very reason. Two 12V deep-cycle batteries in parallel could run the microwave for perhaps 15 minutes max, but we usually only use it for reheating food, so that was plenty.

When I switched to two 6V golf-cart batteries in series, which were supposed to have a higher capacity, the microwave had to be run at reduced power settings. The golf-cart batteries have significantly higher internal resistance, and hence much higher voltage drop under load despite the higher capacity.

I would not mind having more batteries, but there's room for only two.
The cables make huge difference. Need #2 or better between batteries and inverter, especially over 6 feet. My cabling is #2 and the inverter is only connected 3 feet away. My inverter is el cheapo modified sine wave. Good enough, it will even run the 4' ceiling fan with a slight humming noise. Maybe more capacitor input loads will clean up the square wave a bit. The trick with modified sine inverters is never to connect the ground. They have hot neutrals, and will self destroy if neutral and ground are bonded. A word to the wise.

AFIK Pure sine inverters are more DC current hungry than modified sine inverters.