Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 AM   #15361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #15362
Administrator

DW and I went out for lunch, then went to see "The Judge".
Old 10-15-2014, 11:45 PM   #15363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We wet to a farmer's market and the Asian Art Museum. The museum had a special exhibit called Enter the Mandala: Cosmic Centers and Mental Maps of Himalayan Buddhism.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #15364
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
rented dry storage for the boat...comes out this week for the winter...
Is that a Bennington? We bought a used 2001 2080LX in excellent condition in August and have enjoyed it very much. We have had some really nice 70-80 degree weather in the Northeast and went out the last couple days, but I need to take it out soon.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 10-16-2014, 09:16 AM   #15365

Saw some more mysterious sand castles on the beach today while walking the dog.

One was under attack from an octopus.

Unfortunately, also saw about a dozen dead birds that had washed up on shore. In the 4 months since I retired and started my morning beach walk routine I've seen ONE dead bird. This morning - about a dozen. Something's up. I reported it to the city parks guy who was working on the sprinklers at the adjacent grassy area - he radio'd it in to his supervisor. (This is a heavily utilized beach by surfers, paddle boarders, kayakers, etc... and I would imagine the health risk of dead animals should be addressed.)
Visit to the gunshot wound center
Old 10-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #15366
Give me a forum ...

Visit to the gunshot wound center

I took DW to the Wound Treatment Center at UMC Hospital in far southeast DC this morning. Not a medical center this old, white haired guy would anticipate visiting. A doctor there is amenable to prescribing medical marijuana which DW wants to try for alleviating restless leg syndrome. She read some interesting anecdotes about that - probably placebo effect but what the heck. It will be interesting to browse the shelves in the "clinic."

DC's program is pretty stealthy. There are only four places to buy in the city, one of which is three blocks from our house. The originating legislation limited marijuana prescriptions to a handful of conditions like cancer and glaucoma but recent temporary legislation authorized it for anything a doctor sees fit. I never even saw announcements of that change in the papers. The DC Council voted to make the temporary change permanent last week which is how I found out about the expansion.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #15367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We went to see "Gone Girl". I had read the book, DH had not. Neither of us were disappointed. Great performances by all and perfect pacing of a good story.
Saw this on Sunday for a girls' night out - DS thought it was an odd choice but agreed there wasn't much else out there worth seeing. I agree that it was really well done, only had to cover my eyes once.

Today has mostly been about prepping for the home invasion of our church choir tomorrow evening for dinner/social. Fortunately the weather is expected to be perfect so we'll set up tables and chairs on the back patio (choir director will bring them over tomorrow). So this morning I moved all the regular patio furniture out into the grass, weeded the beds, swept the patio, etc. Then showered and dressed for a board meeting.

Stopped at garden center on the way home to pick up some mums for a little color in both the front and back yard. Then when I was getting the ice chest out of the storage room, I saw the autumn wreaths I put on the front porch lights so I put them up also.

Put leaf in the dining room table and found a tablecloth - for those who want to stay inside. Tidied up all the "stuff" on counters, etc. to make room to serve food (that means moving most of it into the guest room :cool smiley.

Sat down to check e-mail and found that the draft PA inheritance tax return for my mother's estate had come in from the lawyer, so reviewed that and sent back some questions. Also checked to verify that Megacorp (well, actually the company they've outsourced benefits to) received my pension lump sum buyout request - they have (well, at least the PO got it to the right place). Paid a couple of bills. Then gave myself the treat of catching up here before fixing dinner (all on the grill so I don't mess up the clean kitchen).

Fortunately I don't have to do any cooking tomorrow - main dish is catered and guests bring all the rest. And we're using paper plates. So I think all my worry and stress about this was pretty much unnecessary.

Time for a glass of wine and dinner prep. A good day!
Old 10-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #15368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
....but agreed there wasn't much else out there worth seeing. ...
We saw The Judge last weekend with DD. Enjoyed it.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #15369

Filled an eight quart crock pot with the makings for beef stew, which is now filling the house with goods smells and weakening my resolve to not open it and take some out. DW having the same problem.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #15370
Give me a forum ...

Made chocolate chip cookies.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:35 AM   #15371
Give me a forum ...

Lake Street Dive continues to tour this fall. Dates/locations are listed at the obvious website. They're mostly on the east coast.

I am going as they all blow me away with their talent. Go if you're looking for a fun night!

Old 10-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #15372
Give me a forum ...

Took my Mom to the airport this morning for her annual trek south. In between rain showers this afternoon I borrowed a friend's scissor pontoon trailer, took my new-to-us pontoon out of the water for the season, placing it on foam blocks for the winter and then returned the trailer. Vegging out on college football now but going to play cards with some friends tonight.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #15373
Moderator Emeritus

Spent the last two days at the covered bridge festival in Parke County, Indiana. Visited 29 bridges around the county. Watched DW partake in a wine tasting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #15374
Gone but not forgotten

We went to my SO's 50 th high school reunion . He had a ball reliving all the fun they had in high school & I enjoyed just observing . Most of the members looked good but a few looked great .
Old 10-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #15375
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Most of the members looked good but a few looked great .

Time for a new S.O.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #15376
Give me a forum ...

Went to see the sockeye salmon run at Adams River. It's a dominant year, which happens every 4th year. There were many thousands of bright pink sockeye with green faces and tails thrashing about and laying roe and smelt, as well as some large dead salmon which had lost their pink colour. The birds were enjoying the culinary delights and the area smelt like a fish market. The interpreter said that the peak run is behind schedule. I guess the salmon didn't get the memo.......

It was a lovely drive, over 300 Km round trip. There were hundreds of people and the park was set up with food and art vendors. I had a delicious bison burger on a bannock bun, as it seemed a bit cruel to eat a salmon burger.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (988.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-18-2014, 11:25 PM   #15377
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I went to two library book sales and got two bags of books for all my hobbies and upcoming projects, like cookbooks and native plant gardening.

Today we went to a native plant gardening event in the morning and attended a space lecture at a planetarium in the evening.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:51 AM   #15378
Recycles dryer sheets

Updating spreadsheets for SSA planning; looking at all the strategies available and breakeven date. Found breakeven is about 81 years old; only a couple of people in my family made it past 81 and they were my grandmother and great grandmother who lived into their 90s.

The only benefit for delaying SS would be to increase DW benefit when I go, but that only adds about $1,000 month to her income which already covers living expenses without touching savings or investments based on plan. We will need to discuss this to see what she wants to do.

Other benefit for delaying is taxes if we are living in Ireland as planned, we would need to pay taxes in Ireland on SS income only since Ireland does not tax US Government pensions which both mine and DW's are.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #15379
Moderator Emeritus

Went to visit BIL in the hospital who has been given 1 - 3 months to live from heart failure. He is trying to get on the transplant list but lacks some tests. He is 74 years old. Apparently, his pacemaker is keeping him going but the additional medicine being pumped into his heart is becoming ineffective.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #15380
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday evening I was cooking burgers on our deck, sipping some red wine when about a dozen orcas came swimming by. For a moment I thought about handing BBQ duty off to someone else and putting my kayak in the water to get up close and personal with these creatures one last time before Winter sets in... But it seemed too ambitious, so I continued cooking and enjoying my wine.

I'm really enjoying ER BTW.... Have I mentioned that?