what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far a perfectly wasted day.

But you feel relaxed, right? So not wasted after all.

I still have a problem with my eyes being bigger than the pot. Went to the grocery early (well, 11:00 is early for me but not too crowded yet) and got the fixin's for more beef stew. Seems that last time I got too enthused with the spices and DW couldn't eat it - she does not like spicy food. So I got some of this and some of that and some of some other stuff, potatoes and whatnot, a 4.74 lb hunk of beef, chop it all up, mix it in a big bowl and ladle into a 8-quart crock pot. Oops, it's crammed full and I still have about a gallon left. Okay, break out the 6-quart and that gets almost full but at least I didn't have to pack it down.

Nobody is going hungry here next week.:LOL:

Attachments

• d818aea326a1932bed503fd50d906bb0.jpg
    d818aea326a1932bed503fd50d906bb0.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 20
Went for a long run with DW and I pulled my left hamstring about 3/4's of the way. Gamely hobbled/jogged the rest of the way. My cardiovascular fitness seems to be ahead of my muscle strength at this time.

Good reminder that I'm not 30-something anymore. :blush:

I've suffered from tight hamstrings for many years, and suffered a lot.

Then one day about a dozen years ago I saw an orthopedist who recommended using a slant board. Ever since, I've tried to spend a few minutes a day using it and I've never had a hamstring problem again. Just a suggestion.

Take a piece of scrap wood about a foot square and mount it at a 15 degree angle. That's all there is to it.

Raked and bagged leaves with two teenage helpers today. Many of the trees are still green, so we'll be back at it next Saturday.

Edit to add: Sat in the back yard and watched the Veterans' Day fireworks from across the harbor (less than 200 yards away). They were spectacular.

Last edited:
I flew around a bit in Denver. More photos and videos to come.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Attachments

• 1415489492122.jpg
    1415489492122.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 26
Not sure if we'll go on to the regionals, and I have mixed feelings about moving. On one hand - we have moved forward the last 4 years... but on the other hand - I'm burnt out at this point in the season and would love to call it "done".

We're moving on to the regionals. So one more month of herding 11 year old boys to improve their engineering skills and presentation skills.

We're at the 28th Annual Greater Downstate Indoor Bluegrass Festival this weekend, Friday through Sunday, in Springfield, IL. This is our 4th year being here, and sadly our last, as the folks that put it together each year are retiring. They've done a fantastic job putting together several festivals each year, but they're ready to enjoy their remaining years relaxing.

A lot of great music to listen to! The groups range from local bands to major, nationally known groups. And most of the folks that attend these feasts are some of the friendliest folks you'll ever meet. :dance:

I took three bags of clutter to the charity thrift shop and only came back out with 1/2 of bag in new to me stuff. All but 2 books of the items I bought are things one of the kids still needed for a first apartment set up, so really I took three bags in and only 2 books back home for myself. I think will call that an overall decluttering success, especially since one of the books I bought was on Feng Shui. :) The other was the Moosewood Cookbook.

We also went for a couple of walks and cooked out burgers.

We're moving on to the regionals. So one more month of herding 11 year old boys to improve their engineering skills and presentation skills.

How exciting! You'll have to keep us posted on your progress.

We're at the 28th Annual Greater Downstate Indoor Bluegrass Festival this weekend, Friday through Sunday, in Springfield, IL. This is our 4th year being here, and sadly our last, as the folks that put it together each year are retiring. They've done a fantastic job putting together several festivals each year, but they're ready to enjoy their remaining years relaxing.

Those pickers have a way of self-organizing, maybe some people will take the baton and keep the love alive.

It sounds like a very nice event.

Perfect timing for me to read your post. When I tried to access this forum today, instead of clicking to go to the "first unread message", I accidentally clicked to start at the first post. The cartoon from Khan that kicked off this thread is still perfect! I had seen one similar before but don't believe I actually read the starting post for this thread in all the years I've been following this board.

Nice day for us yesterday, spent a few hours handing out bags of warm clothing to local families that need some help and packed some more bags for distribution. Have some family in town so we spent the rest of the day outside by a nice fire, relaxing, talking, and eating. Back inside by 8pm, whew, busy day!

Congrats Rodi! I had no idea legos could be taken to such a level. My niece's 4 year old is heavily into legos. He said to me "Uncle Ron, let's build a robot." My niece's husband has taken him to legos events that sound similar to yours. It's great to see these kids engineering stuff as youngsters.

Why are there no girls involved?

what did you do today?

Yesterday was DWs birthday - pampered her with a weekend trip to the Sheraton in Columbus; spent time with our son and watched one of his last performances in 'Forever Plaid' at the Riffe Center there. The run end today. Been looking for a wilderness defense revolver - can't make up my mind on caliber. .357 magnum and .44 magnum were no problem with recoil or accuracy when I was young, and shouldn't be now, even one handed. Have been checking out .454, .460 and .500 as well, but have never fired them. If I could find a range to rent one...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Fired up the chain saw and cut down two small (15' tall) trees in the back yard that were leftovers from when we bought the place (they should have been removed by the seller). Now I have branches to cut up for the rest of this coming week.

Bummer day.

It started out normal, we went to the gym and did our normal workout, came home, ate lunch.

Later on about 8:10 I was watching a youtube video about photographic lighting and became aware that I was breathing very hard, like I would be during a hard workout at the gym. But I'm sitting in a chair with my feet up on another one. And while I have an interest in photographic lighting the subject never had me breathing hard. This goes on for a bit and I walk around for a few minutes to see if that helps at all, no dice.

Then I start debating whether to ask DW to drive me to the hospital or call an ambulance and decide on the latter. The crew gets there and as soon as I'm in the ambulance and they get the EKG hooked up its clear to them that I'm in atrial fibrillation. I've heard of it but don't really know what it is or how serious it is. Basically, the condition itself isn't all that bad but the complications can be.

So as of now I'm in the hospital, the heart rhythm is restored, and I feel fine. Tomorrow (actually later today) they will do an ultrasound of the heart to look for blood clots (one of the complications) and probably some other tests and diagnostics.

And what I really had planned for today was changing the oil on my pickup truck. Bummer.

That is indeed a bummer, Walt. The good news is that AF is treatable. It's extremely common and you probably know at least one other person who has it. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

My best wishes for a speedy recovery.
+1
See what having photography for a hobby can do to you? :)

I feel kind of bad for even joking, but I know you understand the intent is good.
You'll be ship-shape in no time. Please keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom