Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:59 AM   #15601
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
....1998? - 2014
Sorry for your loss. S/he was a spitting image of our black cat.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #15602
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So I'm hearing, that it is not all that uncommon. The scary part is the increased risk of stroke. That part I do not like at all.
Strokes are awful. My dear oldest brother, Bob, had several over ten years ago that left him physically and mentally disabled, and needing to be in a care facility ever since. So do whatever they tell you to do in order to avoid a stroke. Here are 8 ways to prevent strokes. You are doing most of them, AFAIK.

1. Lower blood pressure
2. Lose weight
3. Exercise more
4. Drink, in moderation
5. Take a baby aspirin
6. Treat atrial fibrillation
7. Treat diabetes
8. Quit smoking

8 Things you can do to prevent a stroke - Harvard Health Publications

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-13-2014, 12:24 PM   #15603

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Strokes are awful. My dear oldest brother, Bob, had several over ten years ago that left him physically and mentally disabled, and needing to be in a care facility ever since. So do whatever they tell you to do in order to avoid a stroke. Here are 8 ways to prevent strokes. You are doing most of them, AFAIK.

1. Lower blood pressure
2. Lose weight
3. Exercise more
4. Drink, in moderation
5. Take a baby aspirin
6. Treat atrial fibrillation
7. Treat diabetes
8. Quit smoking

8 Things you can do to prevent a stroke - Harvard Health Publications
I've done/am doing all of those except the baby aspirin. Doc said don't do those on top of what I'm already taking for prescriptions.

And sadly, sniff, sniff, I listed my motorcycle for sale on Craigslist. With the anticoagulants ("blood thinners") I'm on in an effort to prevent a stroke, a minor spill that would ordinarily be bumps & bruises could easily turn to fatal hemorrhaging. Had that discussion with the doc too.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted and somebody else will get a good bike at a good price. And if I ever get off these prescriptions I can always get another bike.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #15604

Quote:
And sadly, sniff, sniff, I listed my motorcycle for sale on Craigslist. With the anticoagulants ("blood thinners") I'm on in an effort to prevent a stroke, a minor spill that would ordinarily be bumps & bruises could easily turn to fatal hemorrhaging. Had that discussion with the doc too.
What if you added a wheel?
How would you like to convert your bike into 2 wheels in the front : www.biker-events.com
Old 11-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #15605

Interesting! That still doesn't address the issue of what the other idiots drivers are plotting to do to me. I'd still be pretty exposed out there, and I regard that as more of a threat than my own riding skills.

No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #15606
Gone but not forgotten

Re: Important to know:
Stroke Warning Signs and Symptoms
Re: Bike ... Yeah... understand... I'll be selling my Riva 200 when we get back to FL...

RE: Today... First snow... 22 degrees... Yuck!
Old 11-13-2014, 03:04 PM   #15607
Full time employment: Posting here.

Took advantage of the cooler weather to walk 18 holes in 2 hours and 15 minutes. Lucky for me, most people around here don't play golf when it gets down to 45 degrees.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #15608
Give me a forum ...

DW and some of her friends were off on "girls day out" I took advantage and did nothing useful. The previous three days was at the mancave winterizing, and otherwise goofing off. Tomorrow going figure skating.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #15609
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Interesting! That still doesn't address the issue of what the other idiots drivers are plotting to do to me. I'd still be pretty exposed out there, and I regard that as more of a threat than my own riding skills.

No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.

Walt, giving up the bike is a big change for you. The wife of a biker, I have a LOT of admiration for you and your thoughtfulness toward your wife and others.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #15610

Lunch out with mom at a diner. Took her to register her car. Mom's almost 85 & I finally convinced her to stop driving a few months sgo. Mom has dementia that is now getting noticeably worse. Her granddaughter is driving the car now. Later, dinner out with mom, one of my daughters, & my granddaughter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
Old 11-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #15611

Spent the day with my 4 1/2 yr-old grandson......just me and him. His dad dropped him off on his way to work, and his grandma (DW) had to work today also. Lots of fun, but pretty exhausting for an old guy like me . Hard to get him to come inside, as he loves to be outside, even with all the snow we have now. Luckily, he did take a nap for a little while this afternoon.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:34 PM   #15612

My husband decided to tag along with me on my morning beach walk with the dog. Lousy surf... but the paddle boarders and kayakers seemed happy, even if the surfers weren't.

Later had lunch at our neighborhood Italian joint.

In between I cleaned bathrooms and started some decluttering.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:47 AM   #15613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

1998? - 2014
Sorry to hear this Khan.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:50 AM   #15614
Administrator

Walt, you have an amazing attitude!
Old 11-14-2014, 06:13 AM   #15615

I'm not RE yet, but I'm counting down. I enjoy reading the posts here, and dreaming about what my days will look like in a few months.

I'm working from home today, but only 4 hours. Right now I am sitting in my kitchen still in my pj's, working on a technical report. Later I will head out to a local park for a long run (in daylight -- woo hoo!).

With the vacation time that I have to use or lose for 2014, I will be taking every Friday off for the rest of the year. It was striking to me how relaxed I was last night, knowing that I did not have to get up early today to make the one-hour commute to the lab. I could get used to that feeling.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #15616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Walt, giving up the bike is a big change for you. The wife of a biker, I have a LOT of admiration for you and your thoughtfulness toward your wife and others.
+1.

Some of us really do worry ourselves sick over risks our spouses take - so thoughtful of you indeed!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
Old 11-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #15617
Moderator Emeritus

Good decision to give up the bike, Walt. A buddy of mine died on his bike - not from a wreck, but from a heart attack and then wreck. Take the proceeds from the bike sale and buy a bunch of camera gear, maybe a d800 or d4s.
My BILs heart transplan this week!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #15618
Moderator Emeritus

My BILs heart transplan this week!

Not necessarily a "today event", although it was a milestone kind of day Wednesday.

DW and BIL's wife stayed at the hospital all this week while BIL got his new heart transplant. The young donor, who was between 18 - 30 years old and brain-dead, was flown in to Houston at 10PM (Tuesday) for organ harvesting and the heart became available by 2:00 am Wednesday morning. It was put in in BIL at 4:30 am. All was good Thursday as BIL was awake and chatting with doctors, nurses, his DW and my DW. He is scheduled to be up walking today.

I was home watching the dog, etc. while this was going on.

We have BIL's 75th birthday party set for Saturday at the hospital. Two of his sons are making the trip in. He seems fine but has some pain in his chest and sides (not the heart, though). Amazing procedure as the surgeon e-mailed his wife a short video clip of the new heart installed and beating before he closed up the cavity.

According to DW, there were about a 1/2 dozen people in the IC ward who received new hearts within the last two weeks.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #15619

Excellent news, aja8888.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #15620

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Not necessarily a "today event", although it was a milestone kind of day Wednesday.
Wow, that sure is! So happy for you that all seems to be going well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Take the proceeds from the bike sale and buy a bunch of camera gear, maybe a d800 or d4s.
I like that line of thought...