Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #15621
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Interesting! That still doesn't address the issue of what the other idiots drivers are plotting to do to me. I'd still be pretty exposed out there, and I regard that as more of a threat than my own riding skills.

No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.
Smart move, plus why take a chance on wrecking the bike...lol Hope you are feeling well.
Weird, I hit the "multi quote" button and it didn't copy the other posts. Tried twice and copied different posts each time. Anyway....

MartyB, You are a good son to your Mom.

AJA, Hope all is going well with your bil.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #15622
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
1998? - 2014
Beautiful cat, Khan. I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #15623
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My sympathies Walt on giving up the bike. Yet a good move. I gave up mine a few years ago, no personal health issue, but a pending one when nearly run down by some bimbo in an suv yapping on a cellphone. I escaped, next day bike was on craigslist.

In other news, got my mugshot taken for drivers license renewal with veteran status shown, Good for four more years.

Discovered that PA motor vehicles department uses facial recognition software to check everyone out. I suspect that PA's database is also tied in with the rest of the big brothers databases.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #15624

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
My sympathies Walt on giving up the bike. Yet a good move. I gave up mine a few years ago, no personal health issue, but a pending one when nearly run down by some bimbo in an suv yapping on a cellphone. I escaped, next day bike was on craigslist..

Those other people on the road are the reason I no longer ride with DH. I will probably never ask him to sell his bike, but I'll sure be glad when he decides to do so.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:55 PM   #15625
Give me a forum ...

A fella I flew with for years was killed on his bike less than a year after he retired from the AF...he was 42 years old with a couple of kids still living at home.

The woman who ran into him was texting at the time although she tried to deny it initially.

I'd love the adrenaline rush of a bike but it's just not worth the risk.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #15626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Interesting! No, until I can get off these prescriptions I'm staying off a bike. Not just for me, but for DW, who would be the one stuck taking care of me because of my own stubbornness. With that much at stake I can give up the bike until all this settles out.
Tough news about the bike but like your approach towards dealing with it!
Old 11-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #15627

Had a busy day yesterday dealing with a friends computer. He had about 500 pieces of malware, viruses and a trojan horse on his system. I had suggested a virus blocker to him about 6 months ago but he forgot about it. So we got it cleaned up and installed Malware Bytes, AVG, and Microsoft security essentials. I showed him how to use the software; I hope he uses it. Today is going to be quiet; did my exercise bike ride and am going to stay home and listen to music. It's 7 degrees with a 10mph northwest wind.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #15628

Half-marathon this morning. At the start, it was 21°F and only got up to 30 by the finish. Still, a nice course, wonderful friendly people, and a delightful morning in all.

I felt a little out of shape, so I took it slow and easy for the first 11 miles, then worked just a bit harder for the last couple. Much to my surprise, I beat my time from the last half-marathon in September. Who says us old farts can't improve?
Old 11-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #15629

Having a Tito's Vodka Martini with a splash of vermouth.....shaken..not stirred..over a frozen martini glass with three olives..
Old 11-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #15630
Give me a forum ...

A day at the mancave. A few days ago having drained my outdoor water tank left the toilet in bucket flush mode. Don't feel like building a proper outhouse . Pre planned a a barrel source flush system to extend the device's useability. Today made it work. A dip tube, via a few feet of garden hose to the tank. A small air compressor to pressurize the barrel. Voila it works. No bucket flushing.

As the old saying goes: we haf ways of deling with these problems.

The barrel will be empty by late December early January when the mostly unheated building drops to freezing range.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #15631

Quote:
A day at the mancave. A few days ago having drained my outdoor water tank left the toilet in bucket flush mode. Don't feel like building a proper outhouse . Pre planned a a barrel source flush system to extend the device's useability. Today made it work. A dip tube, via a few feet of garden hose to the tank. A small air compressor to pressurize the barrel. Voila it works. No bucket flushing.

As the old saying goes: we haf ways of deling with these problems.

The barrel will be empty by late December early January when the mostly unheated building drops to freezing range.
Do you have a union card with the plumbers!
Old 11-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #15632
Give me a forum ...

I don't need no steeenking union card
Old 11-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #15633

Quote:
I don't need no steeenking union card
LOL
Old 11-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #15634
Administrator

Yesterday and today helped a neighbor fix a computer glitch, then buy and install a new printer. We also had a pleasant visit, which lasted longer than the computer work.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 11-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #15635
Moderator Emeritus

Decided not to crawl under the covers this winter, polar vortexes be damned. Set up a new Fitbit Flex (upgrading my little Fitbit Zip) and a myfitnesspal that syncs with it. Scanned a barcode from an odd little gift from Spain of peanut candy and it is already in the MFP database. Really amazing. The Flex is much more generous shall we say than the Zip is in counting steps so that's good too . I should look for a scale that counts pounds like this....
Old 11-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #15636

Volunteered at the community center with the real seniors. lol. We spent hours doing prep for the Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow at the community center. Went to the grocery story. Stop by the credit union to get a new debit card. Came home washed clothes, fixed dinner for DH and did dishes. Folded clothes. Watch a little tv and went to bed at around 1 am. Where would I find the time to work anymore?
Old 11-20-2014, 05:14 PM   #15637

Got further in the process for signing up with covered CA. Had one call to them to explain how you input income for next year if its significantly different than this year. (their form is less than intuitive) In that phone call the phone rep clicked me through and locked me out of editing that stuff... so I call in again. Found out why I wasn't showing a premium assistance, despite income being below the cliff. (One wrong answer to another poorly worded question that I knew I was probably guessing wrong about how to answer.)

So that was a big part of my morning. In between these phone calls and working on my application I took my son's computer to the shop (some root/boot file got corrupted and I couldn't figure out how to boot off the microsoft disk to repair it.)

On the way back from picking up the kids we got them new shoes and stopped at the car wash for my rare paid car wash. (We've got water restrictions going - so I figured it was easier to go to the carwash where they recycle the water.)

Hopefully I'll finish the healthcare sign up tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #15638
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in East Texas for a few days and I inadvertently stood on a fire ant hill while in a brushy area. I count ten bites from the ankles to my knees.

This time of year, the little ba$t@rds are not too aggressive so I got lucky, real lucky. They could have made to my crotch area.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #15639

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I'm in East Texas for a few days and I inadvertently stood on a fire ant hill while in a brushy area. I count ten bites from the ankles to my knees.

This time of year, the little ba$t@rds are not too aggressive so I got lucky, real lucky. They could have made to my crotch area.
Cortizone cream worked for me on top of the bites
Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 AM   #15640
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post

Thank you, from the Texas Bureau of "Don't Move Here"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread