Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:42 PM   #16221
Moderator Emeritus

We went to see American Sniper. Made me cry.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

what did you do today?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #16222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what did you do today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Ha! As soon as I saw "Bass Pro Shop" I knew how that story was going to end....

Yea - self control is not one of my strong suits...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-10-2015, 07:55 AM   #16223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We went to see American Sniper. Made me cry.
We saw it too. Good movie. DW was skeptical but also enjoyed it. A true American hero.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 02-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #16224

Had a reassessment at the gym/wellness center. I'm in good shape, they took out two machines from the routine and added three. And I'm 14 lbs heavier than I was in Nov. '13. Unfortunately only about half of that is muscle.

For the first time in my life I'm having to pay attention to how what I eat affects weight. This is not a good thing because I always cruised along at ~150 lbs give or take a bit.

Oh, and filed federal tax return. The state has to wait a bit because WV hasn't released a needed form yet.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:11 PM   #16225

Son came home for a few days, and I got to spend the morning teaching him to shoot a handgun. He's a natural, even with big bore magnum rounds...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #16226

Got a new cutting edge for the plow yesterday. Put it on this morning and put the plow on the truck. The transfer case appears to be in top shape along with the plow. It is supposed to snow tonight and I'm ready!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #16227

With a beautiful day (sunny and 70+) and an empty calendar for today (until a short 7pm meeting), I decided to break with my normal routine and drove down to a local park for some trail walking. Much more scenic than my usual 2 miles through the neighborhood. Saw quite a few fish and turtles (including one more than a foot long) in the creek. Very pleasant way to spend the morning.

Went grocery shopping after enjoying lunch on the patio. Then worked on a project for our church's endowment committee. Fortunately the 12-year-old Zip disc with the (apparently) only copies of some of the original documents fired right up (and I was really glad that I hadn't taken my Zip drive to Goodwill after I finished going through my own collection of Zip discs last year!).

Getting ready to fix steelhead trout with veggies for dinner. Very enjoyable day.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #16228

Awesome day today. Started it out by getting the kids off to the school bus pre-dawn. From there, headed to La Jolla Shores with my dog. Tide was low, waves were big, the light on the water - that pinkish/bluish/silverish that comes at sunrise and sunset - was amazing. Surfers were wiping out all over the place with these giant waves. (Giant for here - lots of 6' sets and I saw a few 10' waves...guestimating the height using surfers as a gauge.)

Came home - studied Italian for several hours. First quiz of the semester is tomorrow. I'm not fairly comfortable with passato prossimo using essere and avere as auxiliary verbs.

While I was doing that - DH did a canyon walk with dog. The dog looked wiped out after my 2.5 miles beach walk and his 4.5 mile canyon walk.

Then DH and I picked up the kids and drove to UCSD to the passport center. The boys passports expired 2 years ago so we got them new ones. We got lucky - walked in and there was NO ONE ahead of us. While she processed our applications, 4 more groups came in. We definitely timed it right.

That inspired me to start putting deposits down on the vacation rentals this summer. I'm confirmed/booked for Bologna, Berlin and London. I've got queries out to Riposto, Venice, Prague, Amsterdam, Paris. Need to nail down Nice, Aix en Provence, and Barcelona.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #16229

I uninstalled KB3013455 which came as part of yesterday's "patch Tuesday" from Microsoft. That one breaks font rendering on XP/FLP/WEPOS/POS2009 (the fonts become "blurry" in the browser, etc). Yes, I'm using the POS hack on XP...too lazy to "upgrade" the machine.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:07 AM   #16230

Yesterday I finally dragged myself to the gym. It was fantastic! This morning I got up, dressed in my sweats, filled my water bottle and went to the gym again. Drove to the store and noticed as I was driving on a finally sunny day what a joy it was going to the gym and not feeling like I didn't have enough time for a good workout, and driving to the store how uncluttered my mind was with things I have to get done. Even if I am filling in a work a couple of days a month until everyone is replaced who is leaving, the freedom of having enough time to take care of myself is the best part of retirement.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #16231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
...they took out two machines from the routine and added three...
I use five machines total: upper body day is chest press, lat pulldown, shoulder press, and seated row. Leg day is seated leg press.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 02-11-2015, 03:05 PM   #16232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Yesterday I finally dragged myself to the gym. It was fantastic! This morning I got up, dressed in my sweats, filled my water bottle and went to the gym again. Drove to the store and noticed as I was driving on a finally sunny day what a joy it was going to the gym and not feeling like I didn't have enough time for a good workout, and driving to the store how uncluttered my mind was with things I have to get done. Even if I am filling in a work a couple of days a month until everyone is replaced who is leaving, the freedom of having enough time to take care of myself is the best part of retirement.
Careful now, all this freedom and joy could get habit forming.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #16233
Recycles dryer sheets

Gym day for me too. 4 months of weight training and I am really starting to see and feel a difference. The occasional roid-monkey will park himself beside me and stir up feelings of inadequacy...but this has been very positive overall.

By the time paddling season rolls around, and with my renovated upper torso, I may be able to get my kayak to plane.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:39 AM   #16234
Give me a forum ...

Hey, guess what ? It's snowing again.

I am finally recovered from my deck shoveling adventure the other day. Nothing hurts anymore. So I did the front steps and the close areas that the plow cannot reach. It's getting very windy now so I had to retreat into the house.

All sorts of icicles are hanging from the gutters, so once the wind dies down, I will get my long flexible PVC pole out and knock them down from a safe position. I can open the upper story windows and use a telescoping light bulb changer to get them. I have melting wires on the north side of the roof, and they are doing their job beautifully.

Melting roof snow is a sure sign of spring.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #16235
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm going to lay low and stay inside putzing, will have to water the outside plants soon - the Santa Ana winds are picking up and it is frickin' hot already outside and bone dry.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:43 AM   #16236
Administrator

So far, I've changed the oil in my car and rotated the tires. I usually prefer to do this out in the driveway, but it's covered in snow and really cold, so it was an inside the garage event. This afternoon, I'm planning to brew some beer.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #16237
Moderator Emeritus

After cutting the grass over the weekend, the mole burrows are more evident. I wish I could get rid of those pests. Now if it would freeze hard here for a week or so, they would die, but not happening. I suppose if that happened, everyone would freak out as their water pipes would bust like in the late 1980's when Houston had a hard freeze. It was good to be a plumber back then!

Tree trimming is next on the agenda and then fertilize the grass. Checking out sprinkler system too.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #16238

Had a periodic follow-up with the cardiologist and brought with me a copy of the BP and pulse rate readings I had recorded over the last six weeks, a printout of my gym workout and the list of prescriptions I'm on. He should have had the last but I wanted to make sure there were no discrepancies.

The first reaction was one of surprise - "Nobody does this!" - but he was enthused at the workout and BP readings. Some discussion about the meds but no changes.

Then went downstairs to the gym and did another workout. It is in the same building as the cardiologist's office.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #16239
Moderator Emeritus

Tried to resolve email problems this morning. I'm at the eye dr now, going grocery shopping and then for a pizza after. Then watch the bills.

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Old 02-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #16240
Give me a forum ...

Returned a light bulb.

In May of 2013 I bought a LED light bulb. It promised 3 years and 30,000 hours.
Well the sucker died last week. Finally got around to taking it, the receipt and original packaging back to Lowe's. The packaging said exchange only. The very young lady at the returns counter had make a few phone calls to resolve the return problem.

Lowe's no longer sells that brand, so I got my money back, $15 and change.
I will not be buying another household type LED until the technology improves to make the claimed benefits --- all of them.