Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #16501
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Today Frank and I had lunch and then drove by three houses that came on the market yesterday near his house. Each of them had an unfixable fatal flaw, that made it worse for me than my present house IMO. I'm seriously thinking of forgetting this search for a dream house, and staying put! I love my present house and just wanted to buy one that is nicer or could be made nicer. Oh well, maybe it is not to be.

Then he wanted to go to a going-out-of-business sale at the Radio Shack at New Orleans' biggest mall. We battled the traffic and managed to find a parking place which is not as easy as it sounds! But alas, the store was already empty, shuttered, and padlocked. Guess the sale is over.

What a rotten day. On the other hand, it was still better than a day at work, though marginally so....

Remodel or update...much cheaper. Make it your home. I just spent $10,000 in my kitchen. New counter top, sink, faucet, stove, frig, and backsplash. I know the kitchen probably wouldn't be your first priority...but maybe a nice spa like bath remodel or update? New paint in bathroom/bedroom/living room?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #16502
Moderator Emeritus

Today I am going to do absolutely nothing...

DW and I have been "working" non-stop for the past 3 months, preparing our house for market, negotiating a new apartment lease, dealing with various administrative requirements (filing tax return, jury duty, immigration, etc...), more downsizing, lots of travel - but not the fun kind, etc...

The last item on our list was to sell our second car because the new lease comes with only 1 parking spot. I did not want to deal with flaky private parties, so I went to Carmax and had such an unexpectedly great experience. They gave me more than I would have asked in a private sale (apparently I underestimated the condition of the car when I looked up the KBB value online). The whole process lasted just under one hour and a half, and I came home with a nice check that went straight to Vanguard.

So now we can relax!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #16503
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
Remodel or update...much cheaper. Make it your home. I just spent $10,000 in my kitchen. New counter top, sink, faucet, stove, frig, and backsplash. I know the kitchen probably wouldn't be your first priority...but maybe a nice spa like bath remodel or update? New paint in bathroom/bedroom/living room?
I am so happy for you that it was that cheap and easy to just renovate! I have been renovating to to the extent that you have been renovating and beyond, actually. But I want more. In my case, the contractors tell me (and I agree) that it is unreasonable to proceed with this property given the extent of changes that I have in mind.

A main reason for my desire to move is to be in Frank's neighborhood which I really like. So, I am looking but not desperate to move.

I can easily afford to move (don't want to brag, but it is what it is and I can't take it with me). Still, if I don't find the right house in his neighborhood, then I will just stay where I am. It could be so much worse.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #16504
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Today I am going to do absolutely nothing...

DW and I have been "working" non-stop for the past 3 months, preparing our house for market, negotiating a new apartment lease, dealing with various administrative requirements (filing tax return, jury duty, immigration, etc...), more downsizing, lots of travel - but not the fun kind, etc...

The last item on our list was to sell our second car because the new lease comes with only 1 parking spot. I did not want to deal with flaky private parties, so I went to Carmax and had such an unexpectedly great experience. They gave me more than I would have asked in a private sale (apparently I underestimated the condition of the car when I looked up the KBB value online). The whole process lasted just under one hour and a half, and I came home with a nice check that went straight to Vanguard.

So now we can relax!
Great! I'll bet it's nice to have that off your mind. Life is too short to be dealing with so many hassles. Good luck in selling your house in Alabama.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #16505
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Great! I'll bet it's nice to have that off your mind. Life is too short to be dealing with so many hassles. Good luck in selling your house in Alabama.
Thanks!, the market is pretty dead over there, so it may take a while... The slightly larger house across the street from ours has been for sale for 2 years. The owners finally tried to auction it off last month with a starting price of $60K and found no buyer. This experience is curing me of that homeownership bug. When I buy it's always a seller's market, when I sell it's always a buyers market...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #16506
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks!, the market is pretty dead over there, so it may take a while... The slightly large house across the street from ours has been for sale for 2 years. The owners finally tried to auction it off last month with a starting price of $60K and found no buyer.
That sounds pretty discouraging. Eventually it will sell, I'm sure, though apparently it could be a while. Meanwhile you will have ample opportunity to practice the virtues of patience.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #16507
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks!, the market is pretty dead over there, so it may take a while... The slightly larger house across the street from ours has been for sale for 2 years. The owners finally tried to auction it off last month with a starting price of $60K and found no buyer. This experience is curing me of that homeownership bug. When I buy it's always a seller's market, when I sell it's always a buyers market...

Quote:
That sounds pretty discouraging. Eventually it will sell, I'm sure, though apparently it could be a while. Meanwhile you will have ample opportunity to practice the virtues of patience.
+1

Boy, that last line sure brought back memories.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #16508
Moderator Emeritus

Dealing with realtors and contractors to get the house to market has required lots of patience already. I don't know how much more I can muster... But since the house is far, far away, it is easier to forget about it, go about our lives, and not obsess over this fiasco. In the grand scheme of FIRE, that house is not very important. We can afford to be a bit cavalier about this situation.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #16509
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$60K and no buyer? That can't be right, as I still remember the photo of your home, with the car in front I think.

Anyway, I FIFY.

Quote:
When Where I think of buying it's always a seller's market...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-16-2015, 02:10 PM   #16510
Give me a forum ...

Had a wonderful cervical mri. They don't bother me, except this one. Had to drive 30 miles. Even though I took a hydrocodone when I got there (DW drove home), too much pain! During the process the tech told me to stop swallowing, he needed only another 7 good minutes. Longest 7 minutes of my life. When he pulled me out I'd let him know I hadn't swallowed, but was screaming in pain. He did say he got good images. Hope this isn't one of those patience things.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #16511

Met some friends for lunch at a restaurant in Thurmont, MD, about halfway for each of us. We've been wanting to get together for months but either schedule conflicts or weather kept it from happening. It's been a while since either of us had a two-hour lunch but it was a good time.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:46 PM   #16512
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1

Boy, that last line sure brought back memories.
Yeah, that was one of those knee-jerk responses from childhood. Sorry! Oh well, now you know how I was brought up.

Quote:
Dealing with realtors and contractors to get the house to market has required lots of patience already. I don't know how much more I can muster... But since the house is far, far away, it is easier to forget about it, go about our lives, and not obsess over this fiasco. In the grand scheme of FIRE, that house is not very important. We can afford to be a bit cavalier about this situation.

LOL!! Well, I am sure you are not lacking in patience and eventually it will sell. I'm glad you don't have to obsess on it meanwhile.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #16513
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Today Frank and I had lunch and then drove by three houses that came on the market yesterday near his house. Each of them had an unfixable fatal flaw, that made it worse for me than my present house IMO. I'm seriously thinking of forgetting this search for a dream house, and staying put! I love my present house and just wanted to buy one that is nicer or could be made nicer. Oh well, maybe it is not to be.
It is a lot of work and expense to sell and move. The more we look around the more we remember why we bought the house we have and end up appreciating the current home sweet home.

I hope it works out for you whatever you end up deciding to do.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #16514
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoyed a beautiful warm spring day with a bit of yard clean up and a walk. I also got a much needed massage.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #16515
Give me a forum ...

I had 2 teeth extracted at 945 AM. Here I sit with gauze in my mouth waiting for the extraction sites to completely clot before I attempt some soft food on the other side. The Novacaine is starting to wear off, so I popped a 400 mg Ibuprofen.

Other than that, it's a fine day.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #16516
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
.....I can easily afford to move (don't want to brag, but it is what it is and I can't take it with me). Still, if I don't find the right house in his neighborhood, then I will just stay where I am. It could be so much worse.
Is it feasible to build instead of move? That way you could get what you want and not be constrained by an existing structure.

We had planned to gut our lake house, spray foam it, replace doors, windows, roofing, siding and then rebuild the interior to our desired floor plan. There were other issues that would have resulted in adding gable ends on two sides. My HS buddy, who was our builder, looked over the building and the plans and then looked me in the eye and said "PB, it might cost you a bit more but you would be much better off to demolish and rebuild". Since that is what DW wanted to do from the beginning and I was the one holding on to the old structure, I conceded and we demolished and rebuilt and in the end it was the right decision for us.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 03-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #16517
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I had an interesting afternoon. I went to open my fire safe to retrieve a document and the darn thing would not open. It's one of those fire safes with an electronic keypad. The keypad did not seem to operate, so I figured it was time to change the batteries. So I put in fresh batteries, nothing. I pull out the owner's manual and they advise to only use the freshest batteries available. I go to the store, get a new pack, put the batteries in. Nothing. So I call the manufacturer (Sentry), stay on hold forever, then talk to a "tech" who tells me to change the batteries... She insists on knowing the brand and the expiration date on the new batteries I put in. Apparently she cannot go further with her script until she gets a satisfactory answer. Satisfied with the information I provided, she says the keypad must have crapped out. She advises hiring a locksmith to bust this thing open. So I call a bunch of locksmiths, nobody wants to touch a safe. Finally, I get a recommendation for a local "Safe Cracker". Who knew I would ever have use for such a professional? He's coming tomorrow and it's going to be fun watching this thing pop open.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:41 PM   #16518
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went back to my old w*rkplace to visit a former employee. When our biotech group downsized he got moved to one of the big accelerator groups. It gave him his first opportunity to supervise. I got an interesting tour and my friend is doing just fine. I also bumped into about a dozen other people I had worked with at one time or another. I like visiting every so often. I've been teaching science classes the past couple of years and there is good reason to maintain contacts at the lab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALS Dave Humphries.jpg (206.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #16519
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Finally, I get a recommendation for a local "Safe Cracker". Who knew I would ever have use for such a professional? He's coming tomorrow and it's going to be fun watching this thing pop open.
It would be interesting to see how long it takes for him to get it open. 5 minutes?

I also have a Sentry firesafe, but it's a 30-year old model with a mechanical lock. I taped the dial lock rotation sequence right on the front so that I would not lose it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #16520
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
It would be interesting to see how long it takes for him to get it open. 5 minutes?

I also have a Sentry firesafe, but it's a 30-year old model with a mechanical lock. I taped the dial lock rotation sequence right on the front so that I would not lose it.

I hear these fire safes are pretty easy to crack... We shall see.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Closed Thread