Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #16781

The local forsythia bushes are coming into bloom, and that's the signal for the first weed spaying around here, so that's what I did. Filled up the four gallon backpack sprayer and had at the weeds that are sprouting. I'll have to do that two or three more times before it gets too warm to have an effect.

In a few days I'll have to mow for the first time this year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #16782
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The local forsythia bushes are coming into bloom, and that's the signal for the first weed spaying around here, so that's what I did. Filled up the four gallon backpack sprayer and had at the weeds that are sprouting. I'll have to do that two or three more times before it gets too warm to have an effect.

It seems like just the other day that you were shoveling snow!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:47 PM   #16783
Give me a forum ...

downloaded some payment vouchers, wrote a stupid bunch of stupid checks to the stupid governments, state and federal. gotta go see some blood sucker and leave a sample because I don't have enough holes in my body. Damn betcha I'm rewarding myself with an In'N'Out burger after that. Then off to buy some fixins for posole, including a big ol bone in pork shoulder to hang in mesquite smoke. I'll be feeling better by nightfall.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:06 PM   #16784
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

That's what I did today. It seems like the snow melted just a few days ago 😕
Old 04-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #16785

Did my annual ritual of taking the snow blade off the tractor and replacing it with the mower deck. Mowed the lawn. Gorgeous day for it, so I didn't really mind. Like Philliefan33, it seems like the snow was just here yesterday.

Saw the first dandelion in bloom in the front yard. Oh, joy!
Old 04-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #16786

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Did my annual ritual of taking the snow blade off the tractor and replacing it with the mower deck. Mowed the lawn. Gorgeous day for it, so I didn't really mind. Like Philliefan33, it seems like the snow was just here yesterday.

Saw the first dandelion in bloom in the front yard. Oh, joy!
Supposed to get 3-5 inches on Thursday.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #16787
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just watched the original version of the Sound of Music. Pretty interesting. I can see why Rodgers and Hammerstein changed the story some.
http://goo.gl/SRV6c9
Old 04-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #16788
Moderator Emeritus

Hiked 10 miles at Starved Rock and Matthiessen State Parks in Utica, Illinois. Lots of waterfalls this time of year.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:45 PM   #16789
Recycles dryer sheets

Ronstar, that sounds like you had a great day!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:20 AM   #16790
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampeep View Post
Ronstar, that sounds like you had a great day!
Yes, and now I'll need a couple days to recover!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #16791
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
Just watched the original version of the Sound of Music. Pretty interesting. I can see why Rodgers and Hammerstein changed the story some.
http://goo.gl/SRV6c9
Thanks for the link. I remember seeing this at primary school during history class. Must watch it again. I visited Salzburg in 2014 so many locations will now be familiar.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #16792
Give me a forum ...

Back from my usual workout. Poking through thre internets for music found the owner of a voice that I heard in Aleutians in the 70 ies. Someone had a tape playing, and the voice stuck in my head ever since. As did the song. It is IMHO the most beoutiful woman's singing voice.

Well anyhoo it turns out that voice belongs to an Aussie singer who now is in her seventies. Judith Durham of the the band then she was with, the Seekers. The tune was 500 miles. And I was more than 5000 miles from home.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #16793
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Back from my usual workout. Poking through thre internets for music found the owner of a voice that I heard in Aleutians in the 70 ies. Someone had a tape playing, and the voice stuck in my head ever since. As did the song. It is IMHO the most beoutiful woman's singing voice.

Well anyhoo it turns out that voice belongs to an Aussie singer who now is in her seventies. Judith Durham of the the band then she was with, the Seekers. The tune was 500 miles. And I was more than 5000 miles from home.
And you didn't include a link?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #16794
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...that's the signal for the first weed spaying around here, so that's what I did.
You figure spaying those weeds will keep them from having little ones next year?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #16795
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
And you didn't include a link?
Weeeelll, I'll oblige.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #16796
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Thanks for the link. I remember seeing this at primary school during history class. Must watch it again. I visited Salzburg in 2014 so many locations will now be familiar.
Salzburg is #1 on my to-do list. I've never been there. Did you go with a tour? I am thinking I'll stay in a B&B in the countryside, and get a rental car to cruise around Austria.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:01 AM   #16797
Give me a forum ...

Finished my tax returns today. Even for a retiree with no complicated investments, my Fed tax return is 14 pages long. Ridiculous. Of course I eFiled to save the postage, and the trouble of writing a check.

My taxes are so low that they limit my Foreign Tax Credit to a measly $13 because of some AMT thing, and carry over the rest to next year to the tune of nearly $1K. Hah! I guess next year I can do more Roth conversion with that tax credit.

Just happy to have the tax thing behind me. The wide open road awaits me and my motorhome. I may be gone for a while, or will posting by the side of the road, or in the parking lot of a Walmart.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-14-2015, 11:16 AM   #16798
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

Like a lot of others in my generation, I loved that song so much and learned to sing it, and play my guitar along with that. The Seekers' version of it is indeed beautiful! I mostly remember the Peter, Paul, and Mary version.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #16799

The tax man cometh!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #16800
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
The tax man cometh!

I ducked him yesterday ("ain't gonna get me, copper!") by filing a request for an automatic extension. I'm still waiting on a K-1.

Instead, I've been looking this morning on the best ways to share an external drive between a Windows PC and a Mac (I have yet to purchase the latter).

Closed Thread